Enemy Fan Forums Week 1 New Orleans Saints

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Enemy Fan Forums Week 1 New Orleans Saints

Post by Norv Zimmer »

AsylumGuido wrote: Last year's defense was bottom three. A factor in that was losing SIX cornerbacks to IR including the top five. They also lost 2015 2nd round edge rusher, Kikaha, for the year in the preseason. They also lost 2016 1st round pick, DT Sheldon Rankins, to a broken leg in the preseason. Then they lost safety Kenny Vaccaro to a four game suspension. The LB corps was dismal. The fastest LB ran a 4.69 40. This year the entire LB corps have faster times than that. The three new starting LB's are A.J Klein (from Carolina), Manti Te'o (from the Chargers), and Alex Anzalone (rookie standout from Florida). They also added edge rusher Alex Akafor (from the Cardinals) and drafted the top CB with the #11 pick overall, Marshon Lattimore (Ohio State) who will be starting opposite P.J Williams (who was one of those lost for the season early). ALthough, the most important additions are the new LB coach, Mike Nolan, and defensive line coach Ryan Neilsen (from NC State). Saints fans had been begging for the old LB and DL coaches to be fired for years. The entire defense looks several gears faster than anything in recent years.

The point being, there is nothing close to what was known as the "bottom 3 defense" to which you refer.

Just saying.
You could say that about our run game too, last in the league last year but this year OMG 5 new starters on O line and a new rookie RB! Super bowl baby!
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

AsylumGuido wrote: Not elite, but clearly VERY much improved.
And you know this how? By tackling some 3rd stringers in pre season? The proof is in the pudding and until the Aints defense proves something they are still bottom of the pack IMO. Maybe Manti Te'os imaginary girlfriend will come on the field and make a interception for you.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

AsylumGuido wrote: The offensive line for the Saints is one of the best in the league and Brees is one of the least hit QB's. :wink:
And the Vikings D line is one of the most talented deep units in the league. Barr rushing A gaps is also super hard to contain.
AsylumGuido
Starter

Post by AsylumGuido »

Norv Zimmer wrote: And you know this how? By tackling some 3rd stringers in pre season? The proof is in the pudding and until the Aints defense proves something they are still bottom of the pack IMO. Maybe Manti Te'os imaginary girlfriend will come on the field and make a interception for you.
You'll find out soon enough. I have watched every snap of every game, preseason and regular season, for years. I can see the differences. As for third stringers, the success against the other team's starters was impressive. Now I'm not saying they are going to be a top five defense, but all they need is to be middle of the pack when the offense is once again poised to be right near the top once again.

But, you'll see.
Saints Fan Since 1967
AsylumGuido
Starter

Post by AsylumGuido »

Norv Zimmer wrote: And the Vikings D line is one of the most talented deep units in the league. Barr rushing A gaps is also super hard to contain.
I have no doubt about the quality of the Viking defense. We'll see how it handles one of the league's best offenses. It will be an entertaining match-up.
Saints Fan Since 1967
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Norv Zimmer wrote: They seem to think so..... I think it is hilarious!
It's because how good their defense looked during the preseason. Same reason the pessimism of the Vikings offense. I guess this game should prove if the preseason matters.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
AsylumGuido
Starter

Post by AsylumGuido »

808vikingsfan wrote: It's because how good their defense looked during the preseason. Same reason the pessimism of the Vikings offense. I guess this game should prove if the preseason matters.
Yes, that is part of it, but then there is the eye test. If you watch every snap of a team there are things you can easily see. Regardless of the opponent or whether a game is meaningless or not, the increased speed of the defense is clear and the way it is swarming to the ball. That is something I have not seen since 2009. I have no idea how good the defense can be, but is clearly very much improved and FAR deeper.
Saints Fan Since 1967
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Funny that their fans were saying they're D is "for real" :lol: That would be our defense guys
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Id say their Defense is a bit better overall. I think the biggest impact on either team last night was how improved our line play was. For other team's fans who didn't watch the Vikings regularly its hard to overstate the difference. This line last year? we will 3 more games, minimum.

As a viking fan, I can say with some experience and authority, you cant win if you let the other team complete long drives, gas your defense, then force short possessions on your offense.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

AsylumGuido wrote: Yes, that is part of it, but then there is the eye test. If you watch every snap of a team there are things you can easily see. Regardless of the opponent or whether a game is meaningless or not, the increased speed of the defense is clear and the way it is swarming to the ball. That is something I have not seen since 2009. I have no idea how good the defense can be, but is clearly very much improved and FAR deeper.
My advice to you ... get your eyes checked.

Good luck the rest of the way.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: My advice to you ... get your eyes checked.

Good luck the rest of the way.
Lol. Yeah they are gping to get absolutely destroyed by Tom Brady this week.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.