Saints @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Saints @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

petev_sj wrote: Thank you for the Treadwell insight. I think the kid needs to get in Bradford's face more. Let your QB know that the Vikings drafted him in the first round for a reason.

Great game. I have no problem eating crow if I was wrong about saying this team looked like last year's team. However Bradford is still getting smack around immediately after he releases the ball. He has never shown he can go a full season taking those types of shots.
Well, except for last year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Thinking about the game tonight, the thing that sticks out for me is Cook's ability to fight for yards. I can see why he led the nation in yards after contact, and it's not meaningless contact. The guy gets hit hard and he still manages to gain 3 extra yards.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Great game!!

I will temper my excitement for the O until they do well against a team with a decent D, but this was still great to watch. Again I will temper my enthusiasm but it definitely looks like a different O than last year. I just hope this team can stay healthy

Why the hate for. Barr???!!! 8 tackles, 3 solo, including a great TFL to stop a drive. I thought he looked good.

I loved watching AD for 10 years but man Cook looks like the real deal. Can't wait to see him get in the EZ. LOVED the blitz pickup early in the game. I could really see AP becoming a distraction for the Saints this season. Game 1 and he already looked really frustrated on the sidelines. 6 carries for 18 yards. He really doesn't fit this offense and he won't be happy with 6 carries per game. This has the potential of being a volatile and an ugly situation

Looking forward to next week against a legit D!!!!!!
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

Of all the things Cook did well tonight I was most impressed at how well he picked up blitzers on passing downs. After 10 years of watching AP whiff that was a joy to behold!
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

S197 wrote:I wonder if Rodney Adams gets cut for Floyd, seems like Coley has surpassed him on the depth chart.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Perhaps we put someone's else on the PUP list before then. Otherwise, I agree since McKinnon is returning kicks and we aren't using Adams as a returner... and I think Adams finds a spot on the practice squad most likely and may get activated later depending on what happens.
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

my thoughts.
Wow.
Defense was ready to play afterall. I was concerned we would be off to a slow start because the defense was still ironing out the details. Zimmer may have given the defense a little too much in preseason and dialed back the complexity, or they may have just been sleeping on a few quick counts... or perhaps the defensive play call came in a little bit late. Either way I was Pleasantly surprised. Thought we took too long figuring out the OL and that they would need some time. Pleasantly surprised.

Thought Cook would see a lot of carries but that McKinnon and Murray would see a lot more action because it is rare to have a rookie RB have all the pass blocking assignments and ability. Pleasantly surprised. Was pretty optimistic about how Cook might do but was still impressed.

Bradford climbed the pocket and felt the pressure and stepped up ad moved within the pocket. Had never really seen that from him last year much as he mostly sat back felt the pressure crashing in and found the best available option and stepped up and took the hit as he threw. He still had to throw under pressure but he gave himself more of a chance more often as did the OL. That makes a massive difference as it will result in fewer pressures and sacks and fewer tipped passes and also buy a half a second of time to let the routes develop downfield as opposed to relying too heavily on check-downs and the defense . And the pocket was there to step up... perhaps he trusts his OL better than last year... and perhaps with good reason!

I don't want to overreact as it is difficult to know if you succeeded because of your opponent or in spite of them.

Nice to see Shurmer add a few wrinkles to the playcalling as well. Liked to see Cook on the zone runs and the OL seems athletic enough to move and Cook was patient enough to wait for the cutback and hit it. Cook didn't well getting tough yards as well. The downfield passing was there which is refreshing to see!

Also: Bradford's throw to Jarius Wright was the best throw I've seen Bradford make. He made some subtle movements to manipulate the defense while keeping the throw away from where it could be tipped off and fired a quick release and dropped it right in the bucket downfield against really tight coverage like it was nothing. Wow!
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

petev_sj wrote: Thank you for the Treadwell insight. I think the kid needs to get in Bradford's face more. Let your QB know that the Vikings drafted him in the first round for a reason.

Great game. I have no problem eating crow if I was wrong about saying this team looked like last year's team. However Bradford is still getting smack around immediately after he releases the ball. He has never shown he can go a full season taking those types of shots.
he stayed pretty upright this game.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote:I wonder if Rodney Adams gets cut for Floyd, seems like Coley has surpassed him on the depth chart.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I would like to See Treadwell, Floyd or even Coley get some first unit reps, and playing time, and maybe see if we can get anything for Wright.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I've watched every game of Bradford's career and I think that was his best.

The oline looked solid. I think they may actually be alright.

Diggs butterfingers didn't follow him out of preseason.

Thielen is a stud.

Defense was impressive overall against a very talented offense.

I still like Waynes but I wouldn't mind Brock getting a start outside.

I think the Steelers can be beat. The Browns played them close and this team is a lot better than the Browns.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I bet AD is released before week 6. I just don't see him fitting in well with a team that has two good backs ahead of him.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

I'll admit I was shocked by what the offense did tonight. For the majority of the first half they looked like they did all of last year; but after that I can't remember a passing performance like that since Favre. With that said, a lot about this team will become much more clear after this Sunday. I'm from Pittsburgh and heading down to the game and I really hope they can continue building on what they did tonight, but the fact is the Saint's are not the Steelers. It is not only the fans, but many analysts and people outside of the area are picking Pittsburgh to contend if not win the Superbowl this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (because in my lifetime they are 0-2) playing at Pittsburgh. But, I'd honestly be happy if we fight hard and give them a game; a win would be amazing.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Thought this was funny.

Sam Bradford right now.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Refocused: Minnesota Vikings 29, New Orleans Saints 19(PFF grades)

TOP 5 GRADES:
WR Stefon Diggs, 88.9 overall grade

QB Sam Bradford, 87.4 overall grade

S Harrison Smith, 86.8 overall grade

WR Adam Thielen, 86.8 overall grade

T Riley Reiff, 83.1 overall grade
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

mosscarter wrote:I'll admit I was shocked by what the offense did tonight. For the majority of the first half they looked like they did all of last year; but after that I can't remember a passing performance like that since Favre. With that said, a lot about this team will become much more clear after this Sunday. I'm from Pittsburgh and heading down to the game and I really hope they can continue building on what they did tonight, but the fact is the Saint's are not the Steelers. It is not only the fans, but many analysts and people outside of the area are picking Pittsburgh to contend if not win the Superbowl this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (because in my lifetime they are 0-2) playing at Pittsburgh. But, I'd honestly be happy if we fight hard and give them a game; a win would be amazing.
Steelers playing dirty

The Steelers were head hunting on Sunday in their season opener against the Browns and Vontaze Burfict wants to make sure everyone knows about it.

Week 1 Cheap Shots Highlights Courtesy Of The Pittsburgh Steelers

last year

This disgusting cheap shot is everything that's wrong with the NFL