Intersting Interview on Sirius just now

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Intersting Interview on Sirius just now

Post by mansquatch »

This past offseason was the most negative I've ever seen this message board and I've been here over a decade. I didn't get it then, I don't get it now. 95% of this roster went 8-8 last despite facing what was probably the 2nd most adversity in the NFL. Definitely the most on OL. They've material improvements of need with the exception of 3 technique DT and Nickel Corner. (Although Brock is likely an upgrade once he is healthy.)

They haven't proven it with their OL. so I get the angst, but you cannot compare this year's unit with last years. There are new starters at every position and the only starter from last year that is returning is Berger. They have installed a zone blocking scheme as well, which is different from last season. So it is a fresh start. No one knows how it will perform. But consider how bad it would have to be to mirror 2016. That is REALLY Bad. That also means there is a vastly more upside from the offense than downside. That should excite fans, it excites me.

Unless aweful injuries hit, this should be a 10+ win team with a realistic shot at a playoff bye week. If the Running Game can click and Bradford can improve upon last year then we are off to the races for another 2009 type season. Enjoy the show.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:This past offseason was the most negative I've ever seen this message board and I've been here over a decade. I didn't get it then, I don't get it now. 95% of this roster went 8-8 last despite facing what was probably the 2nd most adversity in the NFL. Definitely the most on OL. They've material improvements of need with the exception of 3 technique DT and Nickel Corner. (Although Brock is likely an upgrade once he is healthy.)

They haven't proven it with their OL. so I get the angst, but you cannot compare this year's unit with last years. There are new starters at every position and the only starter from last year that is returning is Berger. They have installed a zone blocking scheme as well, which is different from last season. So it is a fresh start. No one knows how it will perform. But consider how bad it would have to be to mirror 2016. That is REALLY Bad. That also means there is a vastly more upside from the offense than downside. That should excite fans, it excites me.

Unless aweful injuries hit, this should be a 10+ win team with a realistic shot at a playoff bye week. If the Running Game can click and Bradford can improve upon last year then we are off to the races for another 2009 type season. Enjoy the show.
Right on squatch......I agree with what you said. I feel the line will be improved. How much I don't know but I'm not overly worried. I'm slightly more concerned about our run D and secondary not named Smith or Rhodes. But overall I have a pretty positive outlook.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

It definitely can go either way based on lots of little factors just like every season for most teams, which is why seeing the collective attitude and effort week 1 will say much about their trajectory for the season. The line could take some time to gel, but the defense will keep them in games, assuming they play to their recent abilities.

My biggest concern is whether or not Shurmur is capable of maximizing the talent that is there on offense.