View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:43 pm



Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Win against the Saints is a must because....... 
Author Message
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 975
Post Win against the Saints is a must because.......
If this organization wants to turn the corner (from sometimes competitive to legit contender) then starting the season against a strong competitor at home on Monday night becomes not only a must win but they need to show dominance with their foot on the pedal. Must play aggressive (but smart) and play to win. Tired of all these games coming down to the wire (win or lose) and barely squeaking out a win or blowing the chance to win. I understand that a win is a win but this team is built to win now and needs to show some superiority. Imho the core of this team does not have another 2-3 years to wait for management to assemble more pieces. I want to see an aggressive sense of urgency on Monday night......... :slice:


Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:36 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
certainly would like to see that out of this team. I think that is the difference between good teams and great teams. Part of it lies with the culture created at the top and the other lies within the character of the players themselves. Do they care?

GMs and coaches who are able to sus out these types of guys and plug them in are the ones who continually succeed IMO. At the pro level, talent is mostly a wash, which is why there is so much talk of parity. Obviously having that HOF QB can tip the scales greatly, bounces of the ball play a role too.....but in the trenches and overall it generally comes down to who wants it more.

I'd much rather watch a team lose if they'v left it all on the field every down than one that finds a way to not win.

makes me want to examine my own attitude now :lol:


Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:54 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 975
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
Nunin wrote:
certainly would like to see that out of this team. I think that is the difference between good teams and great teams. Part of it lies with the culture created at the top and the other lies within the character of the players themselves. Do they care?

GMs and coaches who are able to sus out these types of guys and plug them in are the ones who continually succeed IMO. At the pro level, talent is mostly a wash, which is why there is so much talk of parity. Obviously having that HOF QB can tip the scales greatly, bounces of the ball play a role too.....but in the trenches and overall it generally comes down to who wants it more.

I'd much rather watch a team lose if they'v left it all on the field every down than one that finds a way to not win.

makes me want to examine my own attitude now :lol:


I guess that is what I am questioning.....is whether or not this team has enough fire. Some guys show it (Griffen, Diggs, Kendricks) but there are those that are on my fire wish list like Barr, Waynes, and the entire OL.


Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:48 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
I'm actually expecting a significant change on these terms along the o-line.....at least on the interior and specifically the run game.
I can't imagine that there has been some cutting edge, new technique developed for lineman. It's all known and comes down to force of will, reaction and consistency. I like Berger anchoring the execution component with the younger guys around him learning. The tackles are a bit of a question....but nothing could be worse than last seasons edition and if the interior can create running room the pressure is greatly reduced. The offense will have some momentum and hopefully some self-respect.
I expect positive development from this group by november as long as they can remain healthy.


Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:40 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6335
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
I take a different view of the O-line. I think part of it comes down to "who wants it more," but a much bigger part comes from technique and coaching.

Every one of these guys is a monster. They're all 300+ pounds and strong as Babe the Blue Ox. Physically, the guys who win are the guys who are good at using their hands, creating leverage, executing good footwork, using momentum to their advantage, etc. Mentally, it's the guys who can see what's coming from the defense and react accordingly. Teamwork-wise, it's the groups of these mountain men who work the best together.

Almost all of that stuff comes down to one word: COACHING.

Sure, guys like Tyron Smith are incredibly gifted athletically. But there are so many instances of 5th-round O-linemen becoming All-Pros, and it's because they're coached extremely well. They also need to have the character to work their butts off to maximize their ability and hone their craft.

Just because a guy has first-round talent doesn't guarantee he's going to be a great lineman. There are almost as many examples of first-round busts as there are 5th-round all-pros. Matt Kalil is a great example. I believe health was a part of the problem with Kalil, but again, that may have come down to coaching (strength & conditioning, poor technique). There are tons of other examples. We didn't have these problems when Mike Tice was O-line coach.

Offensive line is one of the most coachable positions in football. Look at the University of Iowa. They get exactly ZERO 4- or 5-star recruits, yet they put at least one O-lineman in the pros every year, often in the first round. They take these big strong farm boys, coach 'em up, and turn them into NFL-ready players.

When a team like the Vikings is consistently bad on the O-line year after year, no matter who they draft, that indicates a bigger problem to me than just who wants it more.

_________________
Image


Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:02 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3213
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
They really do not need to hamper their season with a flat performance against a beatable Saints team on opening day. Especially considering they have a road game in PIT the following Sunday. IMO, this is more a challenge for Zimmer and his staff than a challenge for the players. Elimating flat performances was one of my keys to improvement for this season. Time to make it happen.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:04 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I take a different view of the O-line. I think part of it comes down to "who wants it more," but a much bigger part comes from technique and coaching.

Every one of these guys is a monster. They're all 300+ pounds and strong as Babe the Blue Ox. Physically, the guys who win are the guys who are good at using their hands, creating leverage, executing good footwork, using momentum to their advantage, etc. Mentally, it's the guys who can see what's coming from the defense and react accordingly. Teamwork-wise, it's the groups of these mountain men who work the best together.

Almost all of that stuff comes down to one word: COACHING.

Sure, guys like Tyron Smith are incredibly gifted athletically. But there are so many instances of 5th-round O-linemen becoming All-Pros, and it's because they're coached extremely well. They also need to have the character to work their butts off to maximize their ability and hone their craft.

Just because a guy has first-round talent doesn't guarantee he's going to be a great lineman. There are almost as many examples of first-round busts as there are 5th-round all-pros. Matt Kalil is a great example. I believe health was a part of the problem with Kalil, but again, that may have come down to coaching (strength & conditioning, poor technique). There are tons of other examples. We didn't have these problems when Mike Tice was O-line coach.

Offensive line is one of the most coachable positions in football. Look at the University of Iowa. They get exactly ZERO 4- or 5-star recruits, yet they put at least one O-lineman in the pros every year, often in the first round. They take these big strong farm boys, coach 'em up, and turn them into NFL-ready players.

When a team like the Vikings is consistently bad on the O-line year after year, no matter who they draft, that indicates a bigger problem to me than just who wants it more.

i agree totally with what you're saying and was fully on board with that mentality until i saw an nfl network piece about 4 lineman from different teams who gathered in the offseason to study and share technique. they said they didn't get enough coaching due to the collective bargaining agreement restraints. i don't recall exactly who the linemen were...but they were upper tier guys.
and so what i mean by 'want to' goes as much into preparation and studious motivation as it does to the hand to hand stuff in the actual gametime fay.

i do think the vikes have come up short in the coach em up department....but i also think it's equally imperative for the players themselves to take it upon themselves to know the trends and requirements of the guy they are across from each week. regardless of who is coaching, cause that's what pros do.

when a guy isn't doing that or responding to coaching? get him outta there!


agree with you about kalil and injuries. i also think, aside from soft coaching, that they have whiffed a bit in who they have chosen....talent/drive/work ethic/ brains etc.

ultimately i believe a solid pro lineman will have more knowledge and know how about how to play his position than any coach in the league. i find it unimaginable that there was a coach on any sideline that could tell a hutchison or mckinnie how to go up against the guys they knew better than anyone. obviously someone helped coach them when they were younger...but a lot of that may have come from other veterans when they first came up.

i certainly agree about coaching...just expanding on my opinion because coffee


Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:30 pm
Profile
Online
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2273
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
It's going to be a long season if we're already thinking this.

I can't think of any reason why a game in week 1 would be considered must win.

5-0, 6-0, 6-2 doesn't mean much. I'd like to see this team to finish strong.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 975
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
I'm pointing towards coaching, will to win, and hunger. All I'm saying is if these are missing on Monday night, 1st game of the season, at home, against a good team (and AP) then maybe this team is not who I think they can be.


Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:50 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 975
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
I don't want to see a team "waiting" for something good to happen I want them to make it happen. When watching games I often look at the opponents sideline compared to ours. Quite often we look like a bunch of docile guys waiting for their turn and the other side showing some fire.


Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:54 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23066
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I take a different view of the O-line. I think part of it comes down to "who wants it more," but a much bigger part comes from technique and coaching.

Every one of these guys is a monster. They're all 300+ pounds and strong as Babe the Blue Ox. Physically, the guys who win are the guys who are good at using their hands, creating leverage, executing good footwork, using momentum to their advantage, etc. Mentally, it's the guys who can see what's coming from the defense and react accordingly. Teamwork-wise, it's the groups of these mountain men who work the best together.

Almost all of that stuff comes down to one word: COACHING.

Sure, guys like Tyron Smith are incredibly gifted athletically. But there are so many instances of 5th-round O-linemen becoming All-Pros, and it's because they're coached extremely well. They also need to have the character to work their butts off to maximize their ability and hone their craft.

Just because a guy has first-round talent doesn't guarantee he's going to be a great lineman. There are almost as many examples of first-round busts as there are 5th-round all-pros. Matt Kalil is a great example. I believe health was a part of the problem with Kalil, but again, that may have come down to coaching (strength & conditioning, poor technique). There are tons of other examples. We didn't have these problems when Mike Tice was O-line coach.

Offensive line is one of the most coachable positions in football. Look at the University of Iowa. They get exactly ZERO 4- or 5-star recruits, yet they put at least one O-lineman in the pros every year, often in the first round. They take these big strong farm boys, coach 'em up, and turn them into NFL-ready players.

When a team like the Vikings is consistently bad on the O-line year after year, no matter who they draft, that indicates a bigger problem to me than just who wants it more.


True, but draft status does play a part and guys drafted early are drafted there for a reason. It doesn't help matters when most of your line is full of late-round/undrafted talent. Just look at us or Seattle as of late.

Let's take the Cowboys line, arguably the league's best.

LT: 9th overall
LG: 7th overall (previously third-round talent that went undrafted due to knee concerns)
C: 31st overall
RG: 16th overall
RT: First-round talent (Collins), previously 4th-round (Free)

This is not a coincidence.

I wouldn't say Iowa doesn't get any 4/5-star recruits. Below are a few I recall. My memory is iffy between Beluga and more recent years.

OT Brian Buluga: 4-star (2007)
C James Daniels: 4-star (2015)
DE Faith Ekakitie: 4-star (2012)
DT Jaleel Johnson: 4-star (2012)
OT Ryan Ward: 4-star (2012)
OG/C Austin Blythe: 4-star (2011)
TE C.J. Fiedorowicz: 4-star (2010)
OT Andrew Donnall: 4-star (2010)
OT Tristan Wirfs: 4-star (2017)
OT Mark Kallenberger: 4-star (2017)
DE A.J. Epenesa: 5-star (2017)

Lots of O-line talent goes there for the reason that Iowa has a reputation for getting linemen drafted high.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but there's a reason there's generally a higher "hit rate." The article below details this. Between 2005-2014, of 421 O-linemen drafted, 147 wound up as starters for at least half their careers.

The first round had an 83% "hit rate" while the second round had a 70% hit rate. It does go on to say that the hit rate of lower rounds is a little higher relative to other positions.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/2 ... t-by-round

Bottom line: we need to draft/scout linemen better and draft them higher. The ones we let go don't really go on to have great careers elsewhere, indicating it may not be the coaching (though I agree it could probably be improved). Of course I say that and watch Kalil/Clemmings/Beaver become an All-Pros.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6335
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
I get what you're saying, DP. But while Dallas has expended a lot of draft capital on offensive linemen, it has come at the expense of their defense. Let's not forget, they've only won two playoff games THIS CENTURY. They also had the luxury of having the undrafted Tony Romo as their quarterback for the better part of a decade, allowing them to stockpile early-round talent at other positions.

The Vikings, on the other hand, have used most of their recent draft capital on defense. Whether that strategy will ever pay off is up for debate, but it's the choice they've made.

Any time I question our recent drafts, I only have to think back to the dark days of the Red McCombs era to put it in perspective. I swear, the Vikings missed on virtually every draft pick for the better part of 10 years (Adrian Peterson and Chad Greenway being a couple of notable exceptions). Even guys like Sidney Rice (one good season) and Percy Harvin (flake extraordinaire) didn't turn out the way we thought they would. I especially remember 2004 and 2005, when literally the only serviceable player taken was Mewelde Moore.

At least the Wilfs are making an effort.

_________________
Image


Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:12 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23066
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I get what you're saying, DP. But while Dallas has expended a lot of draft capital on offensive linemen, it has come at the expense of their defense.


But have they? In the past 10 years they have selected 7 offensive linemen in the top four rounds. In the same time period the Vikings have selected 5 in the top four rounds. If you just compare top two rounds, those numbers are 3 and 2, respectively. They've committed a bit more to the offensive line and it's paid off. Though not necessarily in Super Bowls...so maybe not really.

Comparatively, the Cowboys have spent 25 picks on defense in the first four rounds. The Vikings spent 20 picks on defense the first four rounds in the last 10 years.

Quote:
The Vikings, on the other hand, have used most of their recent draft capital on defense. Whether that strategy will ever pay off is up for debate, but it's the choice they've made.


As stated above, the Vikings have spent fewer picks on defense than the Cowboys in the last decade. The difference is the Cowboys have lucked out and picked high-round guys that turned out (and stayed good/uninjured) on the offensive line. We seemed to have performed better at that on the defensive side of the ball (with fewer high/mid-round picks to boot!).

Quote:
Any time I question our recent drafts, I only have to think back to the dark days of the Red McCombs era to put it in perspective. I swear, the Vikings missed on virtually every draft pick for the better part of 10 years (Adrian Peterson and Chad Greenway being a couple of notable exceptions). Even guys like Sidney Rice (one good season) and Percy Harvin (flake extraordinaire) didn't turn out the way we thought they would. I especially remember 2004 and 2005, when literally the only serviceable player taken was Mewelde Moore.


Ugh. Those were rough days indeed.

(I loved Mewelde! He was a jack-of-all-trades in the Sproles vein.)

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Posts: 2229
Location: Seattle, Wa
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
...because us fans don't feel like tolerating an 0-1 start at this juncture of the Zimmer era.

I will deal with it though...They'll be alright.


Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:28 am
Profile
Starter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
Posts: 183
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
Wow. There have been a lot of great posts here. I don't have much to add other than I am pumped and I do believe this game is very important for a lot of reasons. New Orleans may be a team we are battling for the wildcard with for one. I have always thought Soprano was a good coach and I do believe the talent level of this line is subpar but I'm hoping they can gel and be better than expected. Just don't ask Remmers to block the Von Miller's of the world for too long without help.

_________________
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.


Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:38 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
I forgot and wanted to add to my rambling take that for me, the bigger part of coaching o-line, at the pro-level, is scheme and adjustments. Moving guys to help and mixing protection to nullify what the defense is doing.
If you have a draft pick who has several years of organised ball on the line (high school/college) under his belt and he has to be coddled in the hand fighting/fundamental department....it's a bad pick IMO. A real prospect will pick up that stuff fast or already have it down to a certain degree. The larger task will be schooling them on pro pace, specific defenders, strength building and schemes.
It's why so many rookies can start in this league and be assets immediately. Kalil, for example.
Picking lineman based on measurables and potential is wreckless.....which is what the Clemmings pick was all about.
Guy had 1 season of experience total.
Totally bizzare thinking there for a pro system IMO.
Hopefully that's all i have to say about that. It's not like I know for reals what I'm talking about, obviously I have never coached an o-line. Just my opinion based on my observations...which have been exaccerbated over the past 5-7 years due to the flow of inequity the vikes have had between their investments and on field results.


Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:15 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 975
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
Nunin wrote:
I forgot and wanted to add to my rambling take that for me, the bigger part of coaching o-line, at the pro-level, is scheme and adjustments. Moving guys to help and mixing protection to nullify what the defense is doing.
If you have a draft pick who has several years of organised ball on the line (high school/college) under his belt and he has to be coddled in the hand fighting/fundamental department....it's a bad pick IMO. A real prospect will pick up that stuff fast or already have it down to a certain degree. The larger task will be schooling them on pro pace, specific defenders, strength building and schemes.
It's why so many rookies can start in this league and be assets immediately. Kalil, for example.
Picking lineman based on measurables and potential is wreckless.....which is what the Clemmings pick was all about.
Guy had 1 season of experience total.
Totally bizzare thinking there for a pro system IMO.
Hopefully that's all i have to say about that. It's not like I know for reals what I'm talking about, obviously I have never coached an o-line. Just my opinion based on my observations...which have been exaccerbated over the past 5-7 years due to the flow of inequity the vikes have had between their investments and on field results.


Very good points made Nunin. Completely agree with the Clemmings pick.....what were they thinking? That was a complete wiff. This season will be a prove-it season for sure.....just can't afford to start out 0-1. 0-1 very well could spell 0-2 since they will travel to Pit week two. Like I said I want to see an aggressive sense of urgency out of the gate and that goes for players and coaching. Even if that means taking a couple/few more chances each game.


Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:35 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 975
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
Interesting read....http://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Mi ... -107053794


Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:52 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3213
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
DP this is a rare moment where i slightly disagree with your take. I think you need to look at the recent hit rates, ie before and after the practice changes went into effect. I suspect that after the hit rate is lower. The Vikings are not the only team having the same problem.

However, right now there is an opportunity in the NFL for OL coaches to contribute in a big way to their team's success. Unfortunately the Vikings haven't yet been able to make that happen.


Also, for the guy saying its going to be bad because we are already talking about this, we haven't played a game yet. No one except maybe the Vikings coaching staff knows where we are at with the OL.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:44 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4384
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
dead_poet wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I get what you're saying, DP. But while Dallas has expended a lot of draft capital on offensive linemen, it has come at the expense of their defense.


But have they? In the past 10 years they have selected 7 offensive linemen in the top four rounds. In the same time period the Vikings have selected 5 in the top four rounds. If you just compare top two rounds, those numbers are 3 and 2, respectively. They've committed a bit more to the offensive line and it's paid off. Though not necessarily in Super Bowls...so maybe not really.

Comparatively, the Cowboys have spent 25 picks on defense in the first four rounds. The Vikings spent 20 picks on defense the first four rounds in the last 10 years.

Quote:
The Vikings, on the other hand, have used most of their recent draft capital on defense. Whether that strategy will ever pay off is up for debate, but it's the choice they've made.


As stated above, the Vikings have spent fewer picks on defense than the Cowboys in the last decade. The difference is the Cowboys have lucked out and picked high-round guys that turned out (and stayed good/uninjured) on the offensive line. We seemed to have performed better at that on the defensive side of the ball (with fewer high/mid-round picks to boot!).

Quote:
Any time I question our recent drafts, I only have to think back to the dark days of the Red McCombs era to put it in perspective. I swear, the Vikings missed on virtually every draft pick for the better part of 10 years (Adrian Peterson and Chad Greenway being a couple of notable exceptions). Even guys like Sidney Rice (one good season) and Percy Harvin (flake extraordinaire) didn't turn out the way we thought they would. I especially remember 2004 and 2005, when literally the only serviceable player taken was Mewelde Moore.


Ugh. Those were rough days indeed.

(I loved Mewelde! He was a jack-of-all-trades in the Sproles vein.)


I agree with a lot of this DP. I said something similar to this on here last year. It seems like a lot of fans put Dallas' OL up on a pedestal and believe that if ours doesnt look like that or close to that, Spielman/Zimmer dont know what they are doing.

As I have said before and you said as well, we have leaned towards D in the early rounds of the draft instead of OL. Dallas has been the opposite. To me it almost feels like some fans think "Well, we should have draft this LT and this RT and this OG, but COMPLETELY forget that IF we did that and we drafted those offensive lineman, we WOULDNT have players like Rhodes, Barr, Kendricks, etc. And guess what the next gripe would be??? "Spielman doesnt know how to draft LBs", "Spielman cant find a shutdown CB", etc. It's SO easy to sit here and say we shouldve picked Taylor Lewan and Zack Martin and so on but at the time, we also had HUGE holes on defense. No less did everyone really think guys like Martin and Lewan were going to be year to year pro bowlers? No.

Bottom line is, you dont see many teams with the best of both worlds. An elite offense to go with an elite defense. Look at Seattle. Loaded defense with a worse offensive line than ours was. Arizona, same thing. A lot of flopped picks on the OL. The Giants now have a good defense but still have a porous OL.

Do we need to be more balanced? Yes. But to think we should have the best of both worlds at this point is very unrealistic. You cant just plug in great OL and think we would still have everyone we have on this defense.

All in all, I think this OL is much improved. Love the move of Easton to LG (have been a supporter of him for a while), Elf is solid, Berger is solid, Reiff is better than Kalil so thats a plus and Remmers does worry me at times. Either way, it's way better than a year ago. No less, we have two MUCH better RBs.

As for the D, 3 technique worries me. I really want to see Jaleel there. I'm really pushing for Gedeon. Sendejo always makes me nervous but I still feel like we're in very good shape. Although I cant wait to see the first big play made by Drew Brees and hear everyone go "Wow this defense is nowhere near elite, we're doomed, seasons over", etc. Big plays are going to happen with that offense. It's about limiting them. Cant wait for monday night!!! :v):

_________________
Image


Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:11 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:56 am
Posts: 5605
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
If we don't win by at least a touchdown I am off the dark horse SB winner in their own house purple Kool Aid. The New Orleans Saints went 7-9 in 4 of its last 5 seasons, including the last three in a row, for a pretty simple reason: The team just isn't that good. If we are a real deal team we win by at least seven points.


Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:23 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23066
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
They're starting a rookie at LT. Griffen should be licking his chops.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:38 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10492
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
It's no secret talent on the O-line was severely lacking this year and it may be a trend. When is the last time we had to wait 20 picks before an O-lineman was chosen? Or only 2 O-linemen in the 1st round? You usually see 2 within the first five picks.

The combination of bigger and faster pass rushers and the style of college ball has really impacted the ability to find quality linemen.


Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:04 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm
Posts: 1539
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
A win againest the Saints will mean we are hungry and want it. Plus it's important because we have another tough game the following week.
I think one of our problems with the team is discipline. I'm not sure who you want to pin that on.


Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:44 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:28 pm
Posts: 540
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I get what you're saying, DP. But while Dallas has expended a lot of draft capital on offensive linemen, it has come at the expense of their defense. Let's not forget, they've only won two playoff games THIS CENTURY. They also had the luxury of having the undrafted Tony Romo as their quarterback for the better part of a decade, allowing them to stockpile early-round talent at other positions.

The Vikings, on the other hand, have used most of their recent draft capital on defense. Whether that strategy will ever pay off is up for debate, but it's the choice they've made.

Any time I question our recent drafts, I only have to think back to the dark days of the Red McCombs era to put it in perspective. I swear, the Vikings missed on virtually every draft pick for the better part of 10 years (Adrian Peterson and Chad Greenway being a couple of notable exceptions). Even guys like Sidney Rice (one good season) and Percy Harvin (flake extraordinaire) didn't turn out the way we thought they would. I especially remember 2004 and 2005, when literally the only serviceable player taken was Mewelde Moore.

At least the Wilfs are making an effort.


I wouldn't call moss, kevin williams and B-rob misses

Edit: just to clarify, those three were drafted in the mccombs era and moss is arguably the best receiver to ever step foot on a football field. Kwill is a borderline hall of famer as well


Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:48 am
Profile
Starter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
Posts: 183
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
dead_poet wrote:
They're starting a rookie at LT. Griffen should be licking his chops.


That's where we have to win the game. Stop the short passes and eat up their oline.

_________________
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.


Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:47 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3213
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
Quick release short passes are more about the LB / DL making tackles and maintaining their assignments than the pass rush. Same reason you saw the Vikings employ that type of offense last season, they had no pass protection so they went to an offense that could withstand DE basically running free every down.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:14 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4384
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
Hunter Morrow wrote:
If we don't win by at least a touchdown I am off the dark horse SB winner in their own house purple Kool Aid. The New Orleans Saints went 7-9 in 4 of its last 5 seasons, including the last three in a row, for a pretty simple reason: The team just isn't that good. If we are a real deal team we win by at least seven points.


Lets get this straight before we just say "they arent that good". This is a team with an extremely good offense but had an extremely poor defense. They were 1/2 a team last year. And in turn they were right around .500 because of it. And lets not forget, they had an offseason, free agency and a draft just like we did. And added some solid pieces to their defense. I think that if we contain Brees we win this game. But we all know thats no easy task. But just basing them off a season ago and saying we should win by at least a touchdown isnt really the way to go by it. This is going to be a battle. We need to move the ball on offense against this team (which we should). The key is, can our defense limit the big plays from Brees.

_________________
Image


Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:35 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm
Posts: 816
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
I think that if we score more points than them we win easy. We need to run the ball and pass the ball effectively and get into to the end zone scoring TDs. Our defense needs to put pressure on Brees and limit the number of yards and points they put up. Also I think that I am a great football mind. :lol:


Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:56 am
Posts: 5605
Post Re: Win against the Saints is a must because.......
I go back and forth if this is a hard or easy schedule for the Vikings, I am not quite sure? Look at the first six games of the season. They look kinda rough. I think we need to have some positive momentum for a road game against the Steelers. I would suppose the Bears game would be a gimmie but we have only beaten the Bears five times at Soldier Field in the past 20 years. I know they seem like fluke games, but the Lions swept us last year. The Packers have really given us some brutal losses over the years. Tampa Bay can put up points.

Saints-Steelers-Buccaneers-Lions-Bears-Packers looks like the most important stretch of the schedule followed by the last six games. I really don't think this team is going to do anything if it loses to the Saints at home.


Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:56 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 808vikingsfan, Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.