Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: I've heard a few unsubstantiated rumors but he tossed out the idea of retirement a couple of years ago and I think he said early this offseason that he had some thinking to do. He missed time with a concussion last year and he turns 35 next month so I'm thinking it's a possibility.
Interesting.

Here's something that Zimmer has said in the past day or so.
The Vikings chose to address the interior offensive line in the draft, selecting Ohio State’s Pat Elflein in the third round. Speaking with the media on Saturday, head coach Mike Zimmer said Elflein will begin his career at center, which means that starter Joe Berger could move to the open right guard position.
Link to 1500espen.com.

Guess that answers the question. Sort of. Things can change, of course.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Interesting.

Here's something that Zimmer has said in the past day or so.
Link to 1500espen.com.

Guess that answers the question. Sort of. Things can change, of course.
Yes, but it's definitely interesting. Thanks for the info.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Supposedly Elf's one year as Center was pretty darn good. I would love to have us set with a center for the future.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The draft commentary on him was that he is more of technique guy, which is probably good for him in the pros. Not sure where stands in the strength department. If he can come in start at a competitive level this will be the pick of the draft for the Vikings. Just hard to think that will happen right now due to the general challenges NFL teams are having transitioning college linemen to the pro game. Maybe Elf can an exception?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:The draft commentary on him was that he is more of technique guy, which is probably good for him in the pros. Not sure where stands in the strength department. If he can come in start at a competitive level this will be the pick of the draft for the Vikings. Just hard to think that will happen right now due to the general challenges NFL teams are having transitioning college linemen to the pro game. Maybe Elf can an exception?
That would be outstanding if he can contribute from day 1. Also hoping 1 or more of the crew can step up their game (pulling for Hill but sample size was so small).
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Nice, detailed report. I'm excited about him.

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams-nfl ... t-elflein/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Excellent new article of Elflein:

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/ ... gs-center/
Alex Boone pointed out the adjustment to viewing football as a career.

“You’re not playing against 18-year-olds anymore,” Boone said. “You’re playing against grown men, they’re out here to hurt you and everyone has a job to do…at the end of the day, he has to know this is for real now. This is your job, this is your life. If you want to do this for the next 20 years, you gotta go. And he’s doing a good job of that so far.”
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I didn't want to start a new thread for a single piece of information, but this thread touches on a lot of our offensive line issues last year.

There was quite a discussion going on about whether Rick Spielman provided us with enough offensive linemen. But the level of injury was unprecedented (and yes, I know what the word means). Per The Ringer (https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9/6/ ... s-chargers) article rating the teams in the upcoming season (we are #14!):
[re: Minnesota’s roster...] That began with the offensive line, which last year was the most banged-up unit of the century [emphasis is mine], per Football Outsiders’ adjusted games lost metric, finishing 24 games worse than any other line in the league.
I thought things were bad, but wouldn't have guessed the injury bug was that bad.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

John_Viveiros wrote:I didn't want to start a new thread for a single piece of information, but this thread touches on a lot of our offensive line issues last year.

There was quite a discussion going on about whether Rick Spielman provided us with enough offensive linemen. But the level of injury was unprecedented (and yes, I know what the word means). Per The Ringer (https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9/6/ ... s-chargers) article rating the teams in the upcoming season (we are #14!): I thought things were bad, but wouldn't have guessed the injury bug was that bad.
And I have brought up all this regarding injury last year and no matter what, it was nothing but an excuse. Yes the injury bug was THAT bad last year. I truly believe we wouldve easily made the playoffs if we werent so banged up. Nothing we couldve done about it. Even the guys we were signing off the street were getting hurt. I dont blame that on the GM or the coach. Thats just bad luck. Simple as that. There is no controlling it. Our OL wouldnt have been great if they stayed healthy last year but wouldve been average IMO. No less Phil suddenly retires, Kalil couldnt make it past two games and Smith couldnt make it past 3. And that's just our OT's.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

It was an unbelievable slew of injuries...eerily like the season under Friazer when all the DBs went down.
That really tests the depth. I remember Frank Walker coming out of nowhere and basically outplaying most of the other reserve DBs.
The critical lesson in all of it for me, is recognizing what's truly at risk when you put a project player on the 53.
At DB, for example, if the guy is forced into the lineup, it may cost you points or even a game or 2. On the other hand if the guy forced into starting is a project at tackle? You can lose your franchise QB in on one play.
I'm glad they moved on from Clemmings and Beavers cause it says to me that last season taught them that lesson.
It defintely appears to me that they are improving the depth on the line. We'll see soon enough if that is the case.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think moving on from Beavers and Clemmings was a more them giving up on the players as NFL talent. Clemmings had nearly 2 full seasons taking starting snaps due to injuries and was consistently the worst Tackle in the NFL. 1 season is somewhat understandable, but you have to expect that with all that mileage the guy would start to learn and improve and Clemmings just didn't.

At least with Elfein they've shown they are capable of drafting what looks like a higher quality talent. Let's just hope the Elfein is a sign of things to come and not a case where they were accidentally correct. (assuming he pans out.)
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi