Intersting Interview on Sirius just now

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RFIP
Veteran

Intersting Interview on Sirius just now

Post by RFIP »

Mike Wobschall from Vikings Entertainment Network was just on Sirius and he had some interesting things to say when asked about 2017 expectations. He said; "If the OL is an improvement from last year then this team has realistic goals of winning the division and going deep to be considered a Super Bowl contender." he said "the difference between the 2015 team and the 2016 team was 6 yards per game and 2 points scored per game...and those minor differences can be made up with better OL play and a 4.0 YPC run game.."

Mike really likes Elfien and believes he'll be the starting C with Berger moving to G.

He was asked about the emotion of AD coming back week 1 and he said; "I'm sure Adrian would love to run for 200 and 2 scores but I promise you Linval Joseph and Harrison Smith are licking their chops to tackle him!" He said he thought the crowd would give him a nice ovation "up until kickoff, then all bets are off.." And that "they are also putting Randy Moss in the Vikings (ring of honor) that night so US Bank Stadium is going to be electric!"

When asked about Bridgewater I thought his comments, those honest and a "good" thing to him, are what will kill this team. He said; "It's Sam's team but it's such an enjoyable dynamic to watch how a lot of the locker room still interact and gravitate toward Teddy. People try to make this Sam vs Teddy but its clearly Sam's offense, especially with Shurmur. The good news is it Teddy keeps progressing the Vikings have two very good QB's on the roster."

I've said it many times, NO team can or ever HAS looked to TWO different QB's simultaneously. You already heard the dumb-#### comments from Wright a month back when he said Teddy was "my guy, because he threw me the ball on 3rd downs.." That stuff is obviously allowed to grow with the locker room because Zimmer not only can't control it but is oblivious to it.

Read more: http://minnesotavikingsnation.com/threa ... z4rdcNlOvA
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Intersting Interview on Sirius just now

Post by mansquatch »

Wobschall is the biggest homer of all the Vikings local media types. His takes are usually ridiculous.

As much as that 2015 team was 1 FG away from the divisional round, anything beyond that game that year would have required luck. They were not the dominant NFC team that season by any stretch.

Defensively, the team was better in 2016 than 2015 IMO. They were a better unit that also was hampered by the worst rushing game in the NFL and horrible PF. The reason I'm positive on 2017 is I think the defense can potentially be close to as good or better than the 2016 unit plus the offense should have a rushing game. It is also worth noting that the 2015 passing offense was much worse than the 2016 variety. So ideally, if they can get more efficacy out of the rushing game without any significant slippage in the passing attack and defense, then a 12-13 win campaign is not out of the question.

Obviously there are several major questions to answer:

1.) The new look OL needs to prove it. Until then, we have every reason to be skeptical. Silver lining is that the 2016 unit was so bad that it won't take much to be an improvement.

2.) Will RB be better than 2016? I think this one is highly likely to be a yes, but again, they need to prove it.

3.) Can Bradford improve upon last year with a more even split between rushing attempts vs. passing? (Last year they threw a lot due to the OL issues.)

4.) What happens at Slot CB and will Waynes/Brock be able to fill in on the outside? (I think yes, Waynes took 60% of the snaps there last season.

5.) Can the rushing defense shore up after a disappointing 2nd half of 2016?

6.) How does our Kick Return / Punt Coverage unit change without CP84? Also shallower kickoffs from Forbath. Field Position is a big deal to a defensive team.

Monday Night will be a solid test for a few of these items. OL, rush D, Cornerbacks all will be tested. Saints Defense is pretty awful, so should be a good opportunity for the offense.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:Wobschall is the biggest homer of all the Vikings local media types. His takes are usually ridiculous.

As much as that 2015 team was 1 FG away from the divisional round, anything beyond that game that year would have required luck. They were not the dominant NFC team that season by any stretch.

Defensively, the team was better in 2016 than 2015 IMO. They were a better unit that also was hampered by the worst rushing game in the NFL and horrible PF. The reason I'm positive on 2017 is I think the defense can potentially be close to as good or better than the 2016 unit plus the offense should have a rushing game. It is also worth noting that the 2015 passing offense was much worse than the 2016 variety. So ideally, if they can get more efficacy out of the rushing game without any significant slippage in the passing attack and defense, then a 12-13 win campaign is not out of the question.

1.) The new look OL needs to prove it. Until then, we have every reason to be skeptical. Silver lining is that the 2016 unit was so bad that it won't take much to be an improvement.

2.) Will RB be better than 2016? I think this one is highly likely to be a yes, but again, they need to prove it.

3.) Can Bradford improve upon last year with a more even split between rushing attempts vs. passing? (Last year they threw a lot due to the OL issues.)

4.) What happens at Slot CB and will Waynes/Brock be able to fill in on the outside? (I think yes, Waynes took 60% of the snaps there last season.

6.) How does our Kick Return / Punt Coverage unit change without CP84? Also shallower kickoffs from Forbath. Field Position is a big deal to a defensive team.

Monday Night will be a solid test for a few of these items. OL, rush D, Cornerbacks all will be tested. Saints Defense is pretty awful, so should be a good opportunity for the offense.

Very solid take squatch......my biggest concerns entering the regular season will be our run defense and special teams. Our trade for Brock makes me feel better about our corners so I'm a little less concerned there....just hope he stays outa trouble and gets up to speed sooner than later.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

mansquatch wrote:Wobschall is the biggest homer of all the Vikings local media types. His takes are usually ridiculous.

Good stuff.

And if I may I think Cook is going to be enormous! He is going to open up the play action pass and I look for the outside guys to get a long of big gain plays/td off of it. Also, when Floyd comes back week 5 this team is going to be primed to explode!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Let's all remember ... Mike Wobschall isn't actually "media." He's employed by the Minnesota Vikings to be a homer, so he's just doing his job.

Otherwise, solid takes here. We all know what has to happen. Gotta run the ball better. Gotta protect Sam better. Defense has to play up to its capability. Will it happen? We'll learn a lot on Monday. NOLA has never been known as a staunch defense, so if we struggle against them, it will tell us a lot. By the same token, if the defense can play respectably against Brees, AP and company, that's a good sign.

A guy like Brees is going to make some plays, but we have to keep the points to a minimum. If we can give up less than 24, I feel like we have a pretty good chance. But we simply can't get into a track meet with Brees.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I am probably in a minority here and many want to turn the page, but I do firmly believe that not having AP stutter step on first and second will have a measureable impact on the game.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think you are correct on that. There were times I loved AP, but some of his habits were annoying, ie trying to string out a play and gaining one yard when he could have just hit the edge hard and gained 3-4.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

IrishViking wrote:I am probably in a minority here and many want to turn the page, but I do firmly believe that not having AP stutter step on first and second will have a measureable impact on the game.
I'm with ya IV.....so looking forward to Monday night. I think we are all waiting to see how the OL will perform, will the run D be improved? How about our young secondary? Wobby may be a (paid) homer but he is hitting on all the right points.
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

IrishViking wrote:I am probably in a minority here and many want to turn the page, but I do firmly believe that not having AP stutter step on first and second will have a measureable impact on the game.
I think more people than you think agree with you. I definitely share your opinion and I really hope we see the same thing happen to the Saints. I might gloat a little then :mrgreen:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Oh I agree 100%. I'm never going to down the guy because he's a legend but if he didnt hit that hole full speed, he was very ineffective and very one dimensional. Cook and Murray can both run out of any set and can catch the ball. Obviously they are no AP but I feel like both are potentially more well-rounded RBs
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

I have a bad feeling we have a 5-11 type year or worse coming. Man I hope I'm wrong. The talent is there other than Oline. Vikes are so overdue for a deep deep run tho.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Bigwehrm wrote:I have a bad feeling we have a 5-11 type year or worse coming. Man I hope I'm wrong. The talent is there other than Oline. Vikes are so overdue for a deep deep run tho.
I have the same feeling, unfortunately.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Oh I agree 100%. I'm never going to down the guy because he's a legend but if he didnt hit that hole full speed, he was very ineffective and very one dimensional. Cook and Murray can both run out of any set and can catch the ball. Obviously they are no AP but I feel like both are potentially more well-rounded RBs

and wont do squat with no blocking. everything hangs on that to be honest
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

We haven't even seen them take a regular season snap yet and people are saying we'll go 5-11. Based on what?

Seattle went to the playoffs last year with blocking every bit as terrible as ours. The big difference there was their kicker didn't blow two games against an over achieving Lions team. That is literally how close we were to a 10-6 last year. So riddle me this: If the OL is average instead of terrible and Dalvin Cook is average instead of the two headed monster of mediocre backups we had last season, then how do we not expect a record better than 8-8?

The OL is completely revamped. Only one returning player from last season's debacle and he is playing a different position. I agree it is unproven, but that goes both ways: It is also unproven that it'll be awful. It would take a lot for it to be as bad as the group in 2016.

Heck just look at what happened last night to see the state of NFL prognosticating. Everyone was talking about the Patriots as a repeat champion. They completely fell apart last night after Hightower went down and allowed the most points every allowed by Belicick in 18 years of being an NFL head coach. Brady looked pedestrian on a lot of his throws. Gronk couldn't get open. They are far from out of it, but they've got work to do.

Give the Vikings some time to show you what they are before you write them off. There is a lot of reason to be optimistic about this season.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote:We haven't even seen them take a regular season snap yet and people are saying we'll go 5-11. Based on what?

Seattle went to the playoffs last year with blocking every bit as terrible as ours. The big difference there was their kicker didn't blow two games against an over achieving Lions team. That is literally how close we were to a 10-6 last year. So riddle me this: If the OL is average instead of terrible and Dalvin Cook is average instead of the two headed monster of mediocre backups we had last season, then how do we not expect a record better than 8-8?

The OL is completely revamped. Only one returning player from last season's debacle and he is playing a different position. I agree it is unproven, but that goes both ways: It is also unproven that it'll be awful. It would take a lot for it to be as bad as the group in 2016.

Heck just look at what happened last night to see the state of NFL prognosticating. Everyone was talking about the Patriots as a repeat champion. They completely fell apart last night after Hightower went down and allowed the most points every allowed by Belicick in 18 years of being an NFL head coach. Brady looked pedestrian on a lot of his throws. Gronk couldn't get open. They are far from out of it, but they've got work to do.

Give the Vikings some time to show you what they are before you write them off. There is a lot of reason to be optimistic about this season.
This might be the best post I've seen on here in a while. Agree on all counts. Exactly how I look at things. Dont dare go in any of the preseason threads. Fans were talking about "giving up" after preseason games......yes, preseason games. Just blows my mind
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri