Vikings 53

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mike2mike
Starter

Vikings 53

Post by mike2mike »

Today the Vikings tried to sneak Hodges onto IR via waiving with injury designation. I didn't see who we picked up in his place. I'm suprised we didn't put him on the PUP list or hang onto him, but perhaps the concussion was more serious variety. Taylor Heinicke was put on IR and I get the impression that he wasn't that injured either and the Vikings are just trying to protect him and keep him for next year.

The Bucky Hodges move surprises me, many people thought he would be actively involved this year in 2TE sets, and we saw him with the first team offense in 2 minute drills in preseason.
I wasnt too surprised about the moves we made but there are still a couple that stand out.

The starting OL after waiving Boone is new at every starting position this year. Berger stays at right guard rather than center and Reif, Easton, Elflein, Berger, Remmers make up the starting 5. Was a little surprised at both Boone and Clemmings. Clemmings I know Vikings fan think negatively, but the guy was a project OL who played mostly DL in college, was forced into action his rookie year at RT, then forced to move back to LT, and then inside at guard this year where she actually looked much stronger in the run game and like he was finally progressing into solid depth with upside to start (if Boone ever got hurt.. oh wait) it's also very useful to have an OL that can play every position but center.

Edmond Robinson was waived. That one sort of bothers me despite having tremendous depth at OLB. Supposedly Miami showed some interest in trading for Kentrell Brothers as well and we could have possibly gotten something for waiving him instead. Or we could have just waived Avante Collins and one of Wright/Coley/Adams and kept either Boone or Clemmings and Edmond and Kentrell.

Other than that the cuts went as I thought mostly but I had some question marks as to whether after trading for Brock we would keep Sherrels and Newman or perhaps even cut Harris or Exum to make room in the secondary. But apparently Sherrels is uncutable and Newman has the fountain of youth and can still play with kids almost halfway his age.

These are the roster moves officially posted prior to Bucky Hodges waive/injury designation.
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 3becee4af2
mike2mike
Starter

Re: Vikings 53

Post by mike2mike »

Practice squad:
DT Dylan Bradley
TE Kyle Carter
RB Bronson Hill
WR Cayleb Jones
LB Elijah Lee
DE Ifeadi Odenigbo
CB Horace Richardson

3 spots remain, 2 of those spots are TE Blake Bell from SF and QB Kyle Sloter from Broncos
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

hodges is a fairly large project player. this coaching staff has to win now....they need fundamentally sound performers who can execute the game plan on a play by play basis.

i think it serves them to have another TE who can function at a pro level at every facet of the position rather than some athletic freak who may never pull it off. there is a very large and easy to compile list of those types of guys at just about every position league wide.

2 cents
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Why would you get rid of the best punt returner in the league, who can Aldo play corner in a pinch?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Why would you get rid of the best punt returner in the league, who can Aldo play corner in a pinch?

This times 100, for what we paid for Sherels and what he has done for us has been well worth it.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

mike2mike wrote:Practice squad:
DT Dylan Bradley
TE Kyle Carter
RB Bronson Hill
WR Cayleb Jones
LB Elijah Lee
DE Ifeadi Odenigbo
CB Horace Richardson

3 spots remain, 2 of those spots are TE Blake Bell from SF and QB Kyle Sloter from Broncos
Bell is on the 53. The other PS spots went to Sloter, Cornelius Edison (C), and Cedrick Lang (OT).
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Not sure what I think about the kicker situation.

I'm not a fan of Kai Forbath. His range is limited, and he's not good at kickoffs, in spite of what Vikings' announcers may have said during the preseason. He also missed 3 extra points after the Vikings signed him last year. Koehn isn't as accurate, but holy cow that 58-yarder would have been good from 70. Tough call for Priefer and Company.

Really hoping and praying that Forbath doesn't cost us games with blown extra points or short kickoffs that lead to huge returns.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Not sure what I think about the kicker situation.

I'm not a fan of Kai Forbath. His range is limited, and he's not good at kickoffs, in spite of what Vikings' announcers may have said during the preseason. He also missed 3 extra points after the Vikings signed him last year. Koehn isn't as accurate, but holy cow that 58-yarder would have been good from 70. Tough call for Priefer and Company.

Really hoping and praying that Forbath doesn't cost us games with blown extra points or short kickoffs that lead to huge returns.
That was my thought too. I was actually mildly surprised that they didn't take Koehn.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Not sure what I think about the kicker situation.

I'm not sure the range is as important for this team. We have a lot of drives that stall out within a 40 yard kicking distance. Having the leg too would be nice but I'll take the accuracy for this particular team.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

mike2mike wrote:Today the Vikings tried to sneak Hodges onto IR via waiving with injury designation. I didn't see who we picked up in his place. I'm suprised we didn't put him on the PUP list or hang onto him, but perhaps the concussion was more serious variety. Taylor Heinicke was put on IR and I get the impression that he wasn't that injured either and the Vikings are just trying to protect him and keep him for next year.
Heinicke is gone...We moved on from him.
Not sure what is going to happen to Hodges. If he will get an injury settlement or they try and move him to the practice squad.

I wonder how long it will take for opposing teams to figure out that Gedeon doesn't have the speed to cover in space.
"4.79 -40" Brothers is even slower.