Vikings trade for CB Brock

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Vikings trade for CB Brock

Post by jackal »

Interesting trade 7th round pick for Football Focus rated the
16th rated corner back in the NFL.

In two seasons with 49ers Brock had over 120 tackles
25 passes defended and four interceptions

Brock was arrested for domestic issues but the
case has already been thrown out by Santa Clara
D.A. (In California any sign of injury is automatic
arrest) police have no choice.

I watched his highlights and seems to have excellent
press skills and body control to guard against passes.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Vikings trade for CB Brock

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Is he Nickel? What does this mean for Alexander?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

He looks like a press corner to me and was the Niners best corner
for two years.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Decent pickup if he has no character issues. I know he was cleared or whatever but if you're being falsely accused of domestic violence then you're probably hanging around the wrong crowd.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Is he Nickel? What does this mean for Alexander?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
No. Not much. It's more an indictment on Wayne's, which is somewhat surprising to me. My presumption is he has better ball skills. When the ball is in the air, Trae gets way too excited and uncoordinated -- high risk, high reward of the CB variety. Brock is much more settled when the ball is in the air and has a proven track record.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PacificNorseWest wrote: No. Not much. It's more an indictment on Wayne's, which is somewhat surprising to me. My presumption is he has better ball skills. When the ball is in the air, Trae gets way too excited and uncoordinated -- high risk, high reward of the CB variety. Brock is much more settled when the ball is in the air and has a proven track record.
That's an interesting take on Waynes. From what I've seen when he's not turned around he can keep up with most everyone (post patterns in particular) but lacks ball awareness. Not necessarily uncoordinated, but doesn't play the ball. Like at all. It's maddening. Get you head around, Tre! He reminds me a lot of Chris Cook in that regard, but with better press/man skills.

I'm excited for Brock. It may take him some time to crack the starting rotation, though. I expect him to be depth to start and it wouldn't shock me if Newman made starts at Nickel if/when Mac gets pulled.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

He was brought in to start outside if Waynes can t figure out how to stop slants.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I think this trade is a very solid move. Hope he gets up to speed quickly because we most definitely need someone with his experience and skill level
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Maelstrom88 wrote:He was brought in to start outside if Waynes can t figure out how to stop slants.
Translation - he was brought in to start outside
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

i hope he was brought in to keep alexander out of the middle.....whether it's brock himself or newman manning the slot. alexander will be a josh robinson-esque liability at nickel.
It would literally cost this team games to run that kid out there week after week. it's arguably the most complicated position on D and requires more than just coverage skills....you nearly have to be a linebacker as well.
-
also, reading up (zulgad article) on how the team got themselves in this position AGAIN, it turns out the bigger part of munnerlyn not staying was due to his family wanting to be out of the cold weather. so, not much they could do about that.
hopefully newman can fill the hole....he's the obvious choice in my book.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

720pete wrote:Decent pickup if he has no character issues. I know he was cleared or whatever but if you're being falsely accused of domestic violence then you're probably hanging around the wrong crowd.
That makes absolutely zero sense. Domestic 9 times out of 10 means a home setting or a family member involved, has nothing to do with a crowd. As coming from someone who has been taking 911 calls for going on 15 years i can tell you for a fact that most domestic calls turn out to be overreactions. take it with a grain of salt. Unless he pulled a ray rice and pummeled her unconscious i wouldn't look too far into it.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Here's an odd take....
Maybe with Waynes about to get a new contract, we don't have the $$$ so we end up trading away Waynes for a high draft pick next year ?
This allows us another premier pick and maybe the ammunition needed to get a franchise QB in the draft...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

IIsweet wrote:Here's an odd take....
Maybe with Waynes about to get a new contract, we don't have the $$$ so we end up trading away Waynes for a high draft pick next year ?
This allows us another premier pick and maybe the ammunition needed to get a franchise QB in the draft...
What has Waynes done to warrant more than a fifth or sixth-round pick? Or are you expecting him to light it up this year? Either way, if he plays well the Vikings will pick up his fifth-year option.

And we already have a franchise QB on this team :whistle:
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Cutting Boone trimmed some fat off the cap, so that will help. Waynes' resume will not command top NFL CB $$ at this point, he hasn't shown the ability to be a reliable starter and his QB rating when throw again is over 100. Part of that is nobody want to throw against Rhodes, but still, that number is AWFUL.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi