Preseason Game 3 49ers at Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Re: Preseason Game 3 49ers at Vikings

Post by John_Viveiros »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Alexander looks so lost. I hope he figures it out. Kearse has looked pretty good though.
Those were my observations too. But PFF had Alexander as great and Kearse as lousy, so there is some dispute to that.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

with this defensing looking like it does peterson should be primed to run for 150 and 1 or 2 touchdowns.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mosscarter wrote:with this defensing looking like it does peterson should be primed to run for 150 and 1 or 2 touchdowns.
... In the first quarter.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Our starting offense had 11 drives this preseason. They scored 3 points. Absolutely embarrassing and inexcusable. Our starting defense hasn't shown much better. It is concerning that both starting units could not even execute 'vanilla' schemes well.

My Preseason Observations:
- Michael Remmers totally looks worth that $30 million contract. I know many of us questioned it at the time (it's not hard to see why).
- Pat Elflien needs to start - Nick Easton isn't the better player.
- The secret to beating Trae Waynes? Throw the slant route. What an utter disappointment he has been.
- I guess I was wrong to be high on Mackensie Alexander. Captain will be sorely missed.
- Why Tom Johnson continues to start baffles me. He is a liability out there in run support.
- Sam Bradford still is too quick to dump the ball off. Part of it is the line, part of it is himself.
- Alex Boone needs to go after this season.
- Why on God's Green Earth is Zimmer so high on Andrew Sendejo? Why the safety position was neglected this offseason is still confusing.
- Teddy Bridgewater cannot come back soon enough.

This team still looks closer to the team that finished 3-8, rather than started 5-0. I am finding myself to be very jaded by the VIkings. I am not as excited for football season as I have been in years past. I feel that it is time this fan base starts demanding wins and success - instead of simply tolerating mediocrity and below-average production year in and year out.

Hope I am wrong about all this once the regular season starts.
- I'm pretty sure the Remmers comment is sarcasm but can't tell for sure??? Maybe Hill can play RT?
- Maybe Easton at LG and Elflein at C? To me Hill, Easton, Elflein, Berger, Remmers has looked the best. Maybe sub Reiff for Remmers, maybe not
- Trae will be one of several weak links on D this year, including 3tech (unless JJ can come through??), Gedeon, Alexander, and perhaps Barr and Sendejo.
- See above
- See above
- Agreed on Bradford. I haven't followed his career closely enough to know if he's always been like this or just that he is shell shocked from last year
- Agreed on Boone. wouldn't be shocked if he is yanked as started at some point this year (maybe sooner rather than later)
- Sendejo isn't great but I don't think he's the biggest problem on D. Not a strength for sure, but 3tech, Gedeon, Alexander, Waynes, and maybe Barr are all worse
- I like Teddy but there are so many holes on this team it wouldn't matter.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:... In the first quarter.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

NO way it will take at least a Half!
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Lol. The first quarter that is funny; then again I swear nothing this team does year to year shocks me anymore. The headline will be, "Peterson rushes for 450 and 2 scores in homecoming."
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Why not? The team's giving up almost 5 yards a carry.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Do the Saints have a decent OL?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think there line isn't good and they lost a Tackle
already I believe to injury
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'd calm down some on the defense. They were playing Zone on many of the plays against SF. They play Man most of the time during the regular season. Part of the SF game was them not wanting to give coaches anything on tape. The TD Rhodes gave up was a miscommunication in the zone coverage where he was "handing his guy off" to the safety, but the safety wasn't there. Rhodes didn't get "Beat", the coverage was blown. That won't be an issue when they play Man.

I get why people are worried, that game was a total disaster for the first team. However, keep it in perspective. SF was calling all kinds of crap while the Vikings were playing vanilla schemes. SF showed corner blitzes for crying out loud. Game plan was the coaches were doing very different things.

For that matter, consider this: The Detroit Team that went 0-16 in the regular season went 4-0 n the pre-season.

If they get manhandled against the Saints then we can panic. But I don't think it will happen.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingPaul73 wrote: - I'm pretty sure the Remmers comment is sarcasm but can't tell for sure??? Maybe Hill can play RT?
- Maybe Easton at LG and Elflein at C? To me Hill, Easton, Elflein, Berger, Remmers has looked the best. Maybe sub Reiff for Remmers, maybe not
- Trae will be one of several weak links on D this year, including 3tech (unless JJ can come through??), Gedeon, Alexander, and perhaps Barr and Sendejo.
- See above
- See above
- Agreed on Bradford. I haven't followed his career closely enough to know if he's always been like this or just that he is shell shocked from last year
- Agreed on Boone. wouldn't be shocked if he is yanked as started at some point this year (maybe sooner rather than later)
- Sendejo isn't great but I don't think he's the biggest problem on D. Not a strength for sure, but 3tech, Gedeon, Alexander, Waynes, and maybe Barr are all worse
- I like Teddy but there are so many holes on this team it wouldn't matter.
I can say with confidence Bradford has always been a checkdown first kind of guy. I have watched every snap of his career. I love Theilen. He is a guy who would be a star on the patriots. Also thought the defense looked way too soft but I have to believe they will get better based off the talent and coaching.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I don't get that after one bad season now Barr is all of the sudden a "weak link". Barr is a good football player that had a bad season last year. How about we wait and see before we all of the sudden label him a weak link. I'm not worried about Wayne's. Alexander isn't a starter so I'm not sure why he's being brought up, Gedeon is a rookie, we have no idea if he's a weak link or not. Sendejo has always worried me but you basically named all the "non-elite" guys as weak links. Doesn't make much sense to me. Pretty easy to sit here and label all the non-elite guys weak links :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri