View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Preseason Game 1 at Buffalo Bills 
Starter

Post Re: Preseason Game 1 at Buffalo Bills
Texas Vike wrote:
Wouldn't it be "tits" if we got through pre-season without any major injuries?

He He Totally

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:55 pm
Fenrir

halfgiz wrote:
I'm not impressed with Saprano at all.

You can only expect so much from a "waste management consultant." Sorry, couldn't resist.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:10 pm
Fenrir

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game, courtesy of the Dailynorseman:

Quote:
Buy/Sell

Buy: The offensive line will be better. The sacks on the first two series were frustrating, but I did think they got better as the game progressed. There were several instances where Sam had a very clean pocket to throw the ball, and the up and down night from the o-line was a lot like we witnessed in Mankato. I think the players they have to work with are better, and I’m not going to freak over one pre-season game. No, it wasn’t what we hoped, but if you look a little deeper, you can see a respectable line forming.

Sell: Mike Remmers is as bad as anything the Vikings had last year. Remmers gave up a bad sack, but it wasn’t a full on jailbreak off the right side the whole time he was in. I’m just not gonna pull the plug after one sack, in one series, in the first pre-season game.

Buy: Case Keenum is the clear number two quarterback. If there was any lingering doubt about who Sam’s backup was going to be to start the season, it pretty much ended faster than Johnny Manziel’s career last night. Keenum was far and away the better quarterback between him and Heinicke last night, and barring something completely unforeseen at this point, we can put this competition to bed.

Sell: The Vikings don’t need Teddy Bridgewater this year. That said, a healthy Teddy Bridgewater is miles better than either Kennum or Heinicke, and the quicker he can get back on the active roster, the better off I’ll feel about things going forward. Oh, this is probably a disclaimer I’ll need to add as well: No, I don’t want Sam to get hurt. He’s the starter, but if something does happen, I’d much rather have a healthy Teddy trotting out to the huddle more than anyone else.

Buy: Overall, I was disappointed. Yes, last night could have been better. I was really hoping to see an crisp, efficient offense when the first team was on the field, and we didn’t see that. I was hoping to see a dominant run defense, and we didn’t see that, either. The second half was entertaining, though, as some young guys really flashed some potential, and hey, the Vikings won.

Sell: The season is over. There’s a lot of work to do to get ready for the season opener against the Saints, but the over reactions by a percentage of the fan base for the first pre-season game border on the ridiculous. Keep in mind that both teams are just playing basic concepts, and it was the first live game action in seven months. That said, I’d really like to see an improvement on both sides of the ball, just because it’s a lot more fun watching a good offense and good defense together.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:24 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

S197 wrote:
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game, courtesy of the Dailynorseman:

Quote:
Sell: The season is over. There’s a lot of work to do to get ready for the season opener against the Saints, but the over reactions by a percentage of the fan base for the first pre-season game border on the ridiculous. Keep in mind that both teams are just playing basic concepts, and it was the first live game action in seven months. That said, I’d really like to see an improvement on both sides of the ball, just because it’s a lot more fun watching a good offense and good defense together.

This guy must have been reading VMB!

Who is this other kicker we have on the team? Does he have a chance at supplanting KF?

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:15 pm
Fenrir

720pete wrote:
S197 wrote:

Quote:

This guy must have been reading VMB!

Who is this other kicker we have on the team? Does he have a chance at supplanting KF?

Marshall Koehn. He seems to have a stronger leg than Forbath. In terms of accuracy, they've been pretty close in camp so I would say it's still an open battle.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Career Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
I'm not predicting gloom and doom, I was just disappointed that Bradford played ultra conservative. It was very disappointing to see.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

But like I said above, first team offenses and defenses aren't going to reveal a ton. It's a very basic playbook that I'm sure they are using. So I honestly take it with a grain of salt.

On a positive note, I got to meet Spielman at the game last night!! As well as Andre Patterson, Adam Zimmer, Ben Leber, Wobby, etc. My buddy that lives in buffalo landed us 2 pregame field passes. Probably one of the coolest experiences of my life. I would upload the picks but I'm not sure how to

Wow. Cool!

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:57 am
Career Elite Player

The most disappointing thing I saw was Heinicke. I thought he was going to play better. Maybe it was just being out for a year but he made terrible decisions throughout the game.

A few observations:
Defense played well on 3rd down.
Robinson and Wilson looked good. So did Gideon. Really like the LBs.
I thought the online had a good push on their first possession.
I haven't given up on Clemmings. I think he'll do much better at guard. He'll be a solid backup imo.
Really like how Coley looks.
DT position is really deep. Will be sad to see any of them cut.
Miss seeing Patterson at KR and Gunner.

Overall, I couldn't help but feel disappointed after the game. It would have been nice to see a smooth td drive by the first team and not see the Bills have such an easy time running against the first team d.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:20 am
Commissioner

808vikingsfan wrote:
I haven't given up on Clemmings. I think he'll do much better at guard. He'll be a solid backup imo.

https://twitter.com/Luke_Spinman/status ... 8029889536

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:52 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:

:lol:

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:32 am
Fenrir

dead_poet wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:

Maybe they should try him at FB, he does a good job of shedding tacklers and got like 5 yards on that dive.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:55 pm
Strong Safety

I would never say four games especially with an
easy schedule but I will admit this OL showed me
nothing that makes think it's good enough to be
a great NFL team, at all

Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:26 pm
Career Elite Player

dead_poet wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:

If you watch the clip below (from the link), he did a good job taking his man out. I'm sure other players had good and bad plays in that game.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:15 am
Career Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:

If you watch the clip below (from the link), he did a good job taking his man out. I'm sure other players had good and bad plays in that game.

Looks like I'm not in the minority (maybe just here)

Clemmings last game

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:41 am
Commissioner

Nice further analysis of the game:

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2017/08/ ... ref=tw&m=1

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:29 pm
Starter

dead_poet wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I bookmarked that website.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:13 pm
Career Elite Player

Does Zimmer have a reputation of having a bigger playbook during preseason than other teams?

I found a couple of comments in a Bills game thread:

Quote:
[Mike Zimmer continues to put more effort into being preseason champ than regular season champ

If Zimmer cared as much about winning regular season games as he does preseason games the Vikings would have dethroned the Packers by now

Also, listen to the Bills announcer at around 2:42 of this Video.

Frankly, it doesn't concern me much but this is the first I've heard of this.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:02 am
All Pro Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote:
Does Zimmer have a reputation of having a bigger playbook during preseason than other teams?

I found a couple of comments in a Bills game thread:

Quote:
[Mike Zimmer continues to put more effort into being preseason champ than regular season champ

If Zimmer cared as much about winning regular season games as he does preseason games the Vikings would have dethroned the Packers by now

Also, listen to the Bills announcer at around 2:42 of this Video.

Frankly, it doesn't concern me much but this is the first I've heard of this.

Doesn't seem to out of line to dig into the playbook with non-first-string offense to see how they are catching onto the playbook as well as it's execution. Probably for certain situations. After all, preseason is about development and learning, or did I miss the memo?

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:58 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Figured id share these pictures with you guys. Never been on the field before a game before. Probably one of the coolest experiences of my life. Spielman was great. Andre Patterson talked to us for about 10 minutes about Bower and how much potential he has. Was comparing him to Hunter. Asked Adam Zimmer "what are the chances that your father will come over here and take a picture with us?". He laughed and said "probably slim to none" hahaha. The players were right on top of us during warm ups. I was in heaven if you can't tell. Enjoy

Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:21 am
All Pro Elite Player

Figured id share these pictures with you guys. Never been on the field before a game before. Probably one of the coolest experiences of my life. Spielman was great. Andre Patterson talked to us for about 10 minutes about Bower and how much potential he has. Was comparing him to Hunter. Asked Adam Zimmer "what are the chances that your father will come over here and take a picture with us?". He laughed and said "probably slim to none" hahaha. The players were right on top of us during warm ups. I was in heaven if you can't tell. Enjoy

Very happy for you, bro. Thanks for sharing these with us!

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:34 am
Fenrir

Those are some great shots! Any player stand out to you as bigger than you expected?

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:21 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote:
Those are some great shots! Any player stand out to you as bigger than you expected?

Hunter and Joseph. Hunters arms look like trees trunks. You can tell in the one close up I have of him. When you first look at Joseph you don't think he's that big but then when he's next to the rest of the DTs in warm ups, it looks like he doubles them in size. Rudys hands are gigantic. Like almost abnormal looking. Marcus Sherels looks like a pop warner player. Spielman is jacked out of his mind. Looks like he could go out and play right now.

Rhodes was super cool. Is there a way to upload videos off my phone? We were at the hotel they were staying at. He was coming down the escalator and gave me and my buddy a wave. They were an arm length away from us. My buddy talked to kendricks too. I've got a couple good 10 second videos

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:27 pm
Career Elite Player

Wow. Thanks for sharing!

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:31 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

I pro ably missed this up thread, but how did you get to do that?

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

PurpleMustReign wrote:

One of my best friends lives in Buffalo and is a big Vikings fan. His girlfriends best friend works for NFL Play 60 and knew how much he loved the Vikings so she got him 2 field passes so him and I got to go on the field for all of the warmups. One of the coolest things I've ever done

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:39 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote:

One of my best friends lives in Buffalo and is a big Vikings fan. His girlfriends best friend works for NFL Play 60 and knew how much he loved the Vikings so she got him 2 field passes so him and I got to go on the field for all of the warmups. One of the coolest things I've ever done

That is hella cool. Happy for you.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:11 am
Fenrir

S197 wrote:

Hunter and Joseph. Hunters arms look like trees trunks. You can tell in the one close up I have of him. When you first look at Joseph you don't think he's that big but then when he's next to the rest of the DTs in warm ups, it looks like he doubles them in size. Rudys hands are gigantic. Like almost abnormal looking. Marcus Sherels looks like a pop warner player. Spielman is jacked out of his mind. Looks like he could go out and play right now.

Rhodes was super cool. Is there a way to upload videos off my phone? We were at the hotel they were staying at. He was coming down the escalator and gave me and my buddy a wave. They were an arm length away from us. My buddy talked to kendricks too. I've got a couple good 10 second videos

The video would need to be hosted somewhere, like YouTube, then linked here via the youtube tag.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Finally caught the game on NFLN replay.

The Good: Stacey Coley, Case Keenum, Jaleel Johnson, Rodney Adams, and Kai Forbath.

The Bad: OL (sigh). Heineke looked indecisive and made poor decisions.

The Ugly: Bishop Sankey. Non-contact ACL tear. Having suffered this injury recently I was very empathetic to his reaction. That immediate feeling of knowing what it is and the realization that it's a long road of rehab. Must be frustrating when your livelihood depends on healthy knees.

The Ugly, part II: the Bills' announcers spent several minutes talking about Zimmer's 12-1 record in the pre-season and how he gives his players a greater range of plays to run. The second TD used misdirection, which they said was practically cheating in the pre-season. Though there may be some truth to it, it just sounded like homerism and justification for why our 2s and 3s were beating theirs.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:18 pm
Franchise Player

Pretty cool PHP! thanks for sharing.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:11 am
Career Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:

Looks like I'm not in the minority (maybe just here)

Clemmings last game

Looks like the powers that be think otherwise. Lol
Quote:
First-team OL of Hill, Easton, Elflein, Berger, Remmers.

Also, TJ Clemmings was down to third-team guard.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote:
Finally caught the game on NFLN replay.

The Good: Stacey Coley, Case Keenum, Jaleel Johnson, Rodney Adams, and Kai Forbath.

The Bad: OL (sigh). Heineke looked indecisive and made poor decisions.

The Ugly: Bishop Sankey. Non-contact ACL tear. Having suffered this injury recently I was very empathetic to his reaction. That immediate feeling of knowing what it is and the realization that it's a long road of rehab. Must be frustrating when your livelihood depends on healthy knees.

The Ugly, part II: the Bills' announcers spent several minutes talking about Zimmer's 12-1 record in the pre-season and how he gives his players a greater range of plays to run. The second TD used misdirection, which they said was practically cheating in the pre-season. Though there may be some truth to it, it just sounded like homerism and justification for why our 2s and 3s were beating theirs.

Another one to add to the good would be Bower. I hope that kid ends up being our 4th DE. Griffen, Hunter, Robison and Bower would hands down be the deepest DE core in the NFL by far

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next