2017 Training Camp Updates

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2017 Training Camp Updates

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:Camp Evaluations

Part 1: Offense: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/8/10 ... ns-offense

Some gems in there:
Moritz Böhringer

Ahh, MoBo. We were all rooting for you. But after watching him for a week at camp, I would have to put him dead last on the wide receiver depth chart. The athleticism is still there. He has seemed to slightly improve compared to last season. But absolutely everything he does on the field looks forced. Böhringer simply isn’t sure enough of himself to be a productive wide receiver. It was a fun story and an interesting project. Now it’s a project that should probably be coming to an end in a couple weeks.

Prediction: Cut
Nice to hear about Floyd impressing and the return of Jarius. I look forward to evaluating this position in pre-season.
Reid Fragel

Fragel’s most memorable moment from Training Camp: getting booted from practice by Mike Zimmer. What wasn’t memorable: his blocking.

Prediction: Cut
I was hoping to read something more positive about Remmers. Hill sounds to be a decent plan B, however.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote:I was hoping to read something more positive about Remmers. Hill sounds to be a decent plan B, however.
I personally think Hill should be starting over Remmers at RT or possibly over Reiff at LT (Reiff at RT). He's impressed me a lot. Probably one of my favorite guys to root for, as odd as that sounds. His Week 17 vs. the Bears was legit.

Looking forward to seeing Sinkfield in action along with Shelton and Jones from some of the bubble guys.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Camp Evaluations

Part 2: Defense and Special Teams: https://www.dailynorseman.com/platform/ ... ns-defense
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

dead_poet wrote:Camp Evaluations

Part 2: Defense and Special Teams: https://www.dailynorseman.com/platform/ ... ns-defense
I only caught the end of the game last night, so didn't really get to watch any of the starters. This is good to hear though
Mackensie Alexander

Mack appears to have the nickel corner spot locked down as the Captain Munnerlyn replacement. He had an excellent camp overall and has shown a lot of improvement heading into his sophomore season. His anticipation is much better, and even when he guesses wrong he has shown the ability to recover quickly. There will still be some growing pains over the course of the year, but overall I don’t think we’ll miss Munnerlyn as much as we originally anticipated.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Ahh, MoBo. We were all rooting for you. But after watching him for a week at camp, I would have to put him dead last on the wide receiver depth chart. The athleticism is still there. He has seemed to slightly improve compared to last season. But absolutely everything he does on the field looks forced. Böhringer simply isn’t sure enough of himself to be a productive wide receiver. It was a fun story and an interesting project. Now it’s a project that should probably be coming to an end in a couple weeks.
It was a fun story and a waste of a 6th round pick in order to help the NFL get some PR. :evil:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: It was a fun story and a waste of a 6th round pick in order to help the NFL get some PR. :evil:
Definitely.

Sounds like we did better with late round WRs this year, thankfully.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Definitely.

Sounds like we did better with late round WRs this year, thankfully.
Yes, Coley and Adams already look like better selections.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Well at least as a 6th round pick he was picked at an appropriate place for a high risk/reward player.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Well at least as a 6th round pick he was picked at an appropriate place for a high risk/reward player.
Personally, I don't think a player with that level of skill/experience was an appropriate choice in any round. He should have been signed as an undrafted free agent if he was going to be signed at all.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Personally, I don't think a player with that level of skill/experience was an appropriate choice in any round. He should have been signed as an undrafted free agent if he was going to be signed at all.
That's almost verbatim what I wrote earlier, before deciding to cancel the post.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Late round players are ALL a gamble. I guess you could reasonably complain about the degree of risk with a Mobo vs some other no name guy that didn't make the cut, but you'd need to factor both sides for it to be coherent. Then again, the Vikings have gotten positive press out of the Mobo selection, so in that respect one could conclude that they got more out of the risky pick than other teams who just watched their 6th round pick flounder on the practice squad without any real contribution.

Seems like splitting hairs to me.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Late round players are ALL a gamble. I guess you could reasonably complain about the degree of risk with a Mobo vs some other no name guy that didn't make the cut, but you'd need to factor both sides for it to be coherent.

It's coherent already. Look, I don't want to make it seem like it's a BIG deal because I'm well aware that 6th round picks often fail to work out anyway. That said, you frequently refer to risk/reward ratios and you did so above in reference to Boehringer. The difference in risk/reward between a player like Boehringer, who had no real, practical football experience at a high level of play, and a college player with years of NCAA experience is vast. The former faces a much steeper learning curve to be able to fill a viable role at the NFL level than a player who has played high school and college football in the U.S. In terms of risk/reward, it was a bad roll of the dice because the odds against it working out successfully were substantially greater than just drafting a player with years of experience against better competition.
Then again, the Vikings have gotten positive press out of the Mobo selection, so in that respect one could conclude that they got more out of the risky pick than other teams who just watched their 6th round pick flounder on the practice squad without any real contribution.
That's a real stretch.
Seems like splitting hairs to me.
I don't see why. It was a waste of a potentially valuable resource. With good scouting and some luck, a team can find players like Matt Birk and John Sullivan in the 6th round so even though sixth round picks don't always work out, they shouldn't just be casually thrown away as a PR stunt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: That's almost verbatim what I wrote earlier, before deciding to cancel the post.
You know what they say about great minds...

... I don't have one. :)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Treadwell will practice today.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Mothman wrote:

It's coherent already. Look, I don't want to make it seem like it's a BIG deal because I'm well aware that 6th round picks often fail to work out anyway. That said, you frequently refer to risk/reward ratios and you did so above in reference to Boehringer. The difference in risk/reward between a player like Boehringer, who had no real, practical football experience at a high level of play, and a college player with years of NCAA experience is vast. The former faces a much steeper learning curve to be able to fill a viable role at the NFL level than a player who has played high school and college football in the U.S. In terms of risk/reward, it was a bad roll of the dice because the odds against it working out successfully were substantially greater than just drafting a player with years of experience against better competition.
That's a real stretch.
I don't see why. It was a waste of a potentially valuable resource. With good scouting and some luck, a team can find players like Matt Birk and John Sullivan in the 6th round so even though sixth round picks don't always work out, they shouldn't just be casually thrown away as a PR stunt.
The guy with vast years of NCAA experience that is available in the 6th round is likely tarnished in one or more ways, whether it be lack of polish/experience, poor physical tools, or bad injury history. If that wasn't the case he'd have gone higher than the later rounds. Mobo, lacked polish / epxierence, but has many of the physical and athletic tools you would want in an NFL caliber WR. Why is one risk materially worse than the other, such that Mobo is stupid, but the other guy isn't? If they had taken him in the 2nd or 3rd round I'd be on board with saying it was stupid. In the 6th round they are supposed to gamble.