2017 Training Camp Updates

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2017 Training Camp Updates

Post by Texas Vike »

mansquatch wrote:I would keep in mind that Terrence Newman is still on the team, even if we haven't heard his name much in camp. Nickel or Slot CB is a question, but we are not without answers.

The biggest question for the team is if and how much the Offensive Line plan can improve. We are seeing that if provided an opportunity, our skill positions can make plays.

Also, I believe the performance of the Offense will be the single biggest contributor to improvement by the defense.
Completely agree with this take.

Looking forward to seeing them in action TOMORROW! (for at least one series :lol: )
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I think the secondary could be a bit worse. 2017 Waynes will probably be a downgrade from 2016 Newman. 2017 Newman sounds like he's been worse than 2016 Newman. Alexander will be the biggest weakness and almost certainly the largest downgrade from Captain. Hopefully the D-line and linebackers play as well or better than last year.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

dead_poet wrote:I think the secondary could be a bit worse. 2017 Waynes will probably be a downgrade from 2016 Newman. 2017 Newman sounds like he's been worse than 2016 Newman. Alexander will be the biggest weakness and almost certainly the largest downgrade from Captain. Hopefully the D-line and linebackers play as well or better than last year.
That's exactly my take on the situation
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Hasn't Exum been taking a lot of reps at Slot?

Slot is going to be a growing pain, it took Munnerlyn a year to get to where Zimmer wanted him. Ideally this will be offset by improvement from the offense so the Defense isn't force to play complete mistake free football in order for the team to have a chance at winning.

I do not feel like the guys we'll be putting out there will be total liabilities on defense like Clemmings was for the offense at Tackle last season. They probably will not make AS MANY plays as Munnerlyn did, but they are not going to get beat on every single down either.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

All eyes will be on Alexander.....and to a little lesser extent...Sendejo.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Based on what I've read, it seems like the O-line is clearly better at run blocking than last year. Pass blocking has been inconsistent. Hopefully Reiff makes a solid contribution and Isidora can beat Clemmings out of a roster spot. I think it's good that the O-line has to go up against such a good D-line, iron sharpens iron.

Bradford seems to be taking more chances, throwing in tight coverage with fairly good success. I like this a lot. Teddy I felt was too conservative with the ball. It was nice he rarely turned it over but great QB's take risks. (Oh this reminds me of a fun stat I just read, Rodgers has thrown a game losing interception in 2 of the last 3 meetings w/ the Vikings :tongue: ) He's also shown good accuracy throwing downfield.

Ben Gedeon had himself a very good camp by many accounts. Definitely a Mr. Mankato candidate.

Guys I'm looking forward to watching in preseason: Dylan Bradley, he may end up on the PS but he seems like he can be very disruptive at times. Terrell Sinkfield, I think he has an outside shot at making the squad. Michael Floyd, nothing but good stuff coming out of camp, seems like he could be a big red zone asset. Stacey Coley, seems like he's ahead of Adams in terms of production. CJ Ham, I don't know that we need a FB but he seems to be holding his own. Heinicke/Keenum battle. Heinicke has the better arm but Keenum has been good in the redzone.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Great battles at almost every position. LB, OL, DL, even the K and P positions. I can't remember the last time I was this excited for preseason.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

"The defense is ready. We probably could have played a game 3 or 4 days ago." -Coach Zimmer on the team being ready for games
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

That's awesome from Zimmer.

I think Treadwell is currently down, but maybe not out. He was having a pretty good camp until he got dumb and hurt himself in that scuffle. He has elite physical talent that the rest of the WR depth chart lacks. (With the exception of Floyd.) That could be a significant asset if he can pull it together.

It is way too early, but the ingredients are there for a very special season for the Vikings. I haven't been this excited for a season in quite a while.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Don't agree with some of the predicted cuts.....Stephen and Harris in particular.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:Hasn't Exum been taking a lot of reps at Slot?
Yes. He's probably #2 there from what I've read.
Slot is going to be a growing pain, it took Munnerlyn a year to get to where Zimmer wanted him.
Agreed. But I wouldn't be surprised if the performance of that position is downgraded THIS year.
I do not feel like the guys we'll be putting out there will be total liabilities on defense like Clemmings was for the offense at Tackle last season. They probably will not make AS MANY plays as Munnerlyn did, but they are not going to get beat on every single down either.
Nobody is worse at their position than He Who Shall Not Be Named. It's a low bar.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

autobon7 wrote: Don't agree with some of the predicted cuts.....Stephen and Harris in particular.
Stephen has been stout in run defense, I could see him making the team over Sutton. Tocho over Harris would be a pretty big surprise. I don't think Rodney Smith has that #5 spot locked up either, Coley, Jones, and even Shelton have shown flashes in camp. I'll also guess Zac Kerin makes the team over Sirles.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think we will see a lot of new faces starting this year.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »