Encouraging article about Dalvin Cook

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Encouraging article about Dalvin Cook

Post by PurpleMustReign »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Hopefully it doesn't end up like another Viking RB SOD with an airport Wizzinator!!!
Yeah, Onterrio was a really good RB, but that incident will always be what he is remembered for.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
Hopefully, it's someone who loves to stay home at night, play family board games and watch re-runs of The Muppet Show. :tongue:
Totally!

:lol:

Whizzinator.... I hadn't thought of that incident in years. That was a classic Viking's moment. Might be the quintessential moment in franchise history, actually. That, or love boat. (Might make an interesting poll.)

Sigh.
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

Who's the single-game leading rusher in the new stadium? It's going to be 1 of 2 guys come Sept 11th.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Rock45 wrote:Who's the single-game leading rusher in the new stadium? It's going to be 1 of 2 guys come Sept 11th.
Top 3 from 2016

1. Jordan Howard 135y ds
2. David Johnson 103 yds
3. Frank Gore 101 101 yds

I hope the Vikings have an answer for Howard. He torched the Vikings for 153 yds at CHI too.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: I think he's likely to play well. I just hope he can stay out of trouble.
Well, the article talks about that, too.
But he [Rick Spielman] also knew why Cook was still available. Concerns were widespread over a string of incidents early in Cook’s time at Florida State, as well as the crowd from his native Miami that he ran with. So Spielman called the 21-year-old, who was at the mall with his family when an unidentified Minnesota number popped up on his cell. It was almost an hour before the two were done.
Later ...
So what convinced Spielman? The first thing was that everything Cook told the Vikings, in particular running backs coach Kennedy Polamalu, in February matched up with what he was telling the GM that morning from the mall. That’s why Speilman, as he puts it, “felt very strongly we weren’t getting BS’d.”

The second thing was a simple promise: Cook would come to Minnesota alone.

“Baggage can be a distraction,” said Cook, in explaining his plan. “Coming to the next level, you’re getting paid top dollar. And they want you to be focused coming in, they want you zeroed in on the playbook. Football’s what you’re coming in for. That was very important to him.”

Spielman and Zimmer also knew that the structure Cook would have around him was rock solid. The Vikings’ cyclone of a 2016 season—from Bridgewater’s freak injury to the offensive coordinator change to the offensive line’s rash of injuries—gave them proof of the team’s makeup. Also helpful: the distance. Minneapolis is 1,800 miles from Miami.

“A lot of the people we talked to felt like, maybe, if he stayed in Miami, that might be a problem,” Zimmer said. “But coming up here, and we talked about who’s coming with him, what his plan for the season was, we were comfortable.”
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I really like Cook, and wanted him over Mixon. Cook is no angel, but hopefully can stay out of trouble. Mixon is just a thug.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Detailed stats-driven analysis of Cook thus far (with Gifs):

How good is Dalvin Cook?

http://zonecoverage.com/2017/vikings/ho ... lvin-cook/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote:Detailed stats-driven analysis of Cook thus far (with Gifs):

How good is Dalvin Cook?

http://zonecoverage.com/2017/vikings/ho ... lvin-cook/
Wow. That really IS detailed.

I've loved watching him wait patiently for holes to develop. He doesn't typically give you that BOOM "and away he goes" explosion into the secondary that AP gave you. But he also doesn't give that BOOM "Crap ... I just ran into my own lineman" stuff, either. Cook is also a lot stronger at the point of attack than I would have guessed. He doesn't go down easily.

As the article says, if he can get his dropped-pass issues ironed out, he can be a true multi-faceted star.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.