CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

Post by 720pete »

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/photos/eac ... -for-2017/

What say you?

Overrated: Barr
He looked to be on his way to being a future star heading into the 2016 season. But he didn't come close to playing as expected. One of the better run-and-chase linebackers in the league in 2015, he wasn't the same player. He missed tackles and didn't get to the ball enough.

Underrated: Hunter
This third-year player is expected to be a full-time starter for the first time in his career. He has 18.5 sacks in his first two seasons, including 12.5 last season. He has a chance be one of the league's next great pass rushers.

Other teams:

Packers
Overrated: LB Clay Matthews
He is still considered a big-time player by some, but he hasn't been that in a few years. He was once a dominant player, but he isn't close to that anymore. He's solid, but not much more. He has a combined 11.5 sacks the past two seasons, although he has played inside a lot as well. He has also missed time with injuries, playing 12 games last season.

Underrated: LT David Bakhtiari
When all the good left tackles are discussed, his name rarely gets mentioned. But he has developed into one of the better pass protectors in the league, which is even more important with Aaron Rodgers throwing so much under center.

Bears
Overrated: RT Bobby Massie
It's hard to find one on their roster, but I went with Massie. The Bears gave Massie a three-year deal last spring as a free agent worth $19 million and he responded with a terrible season. Massie flashed with the Cardinals during his time with the team, which is why the Bears expected more from him last season.

Underrated: DT Akiem Hicks
He signed a two-year deal with the Bears last spring as a free agent and responded with a season that saw him play as the team's best down lineman. Hicks is a big man who commands the double, but he also can push the pocket, as his seven sacks attest. He can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2017 season, so this is a money year for him.

Lions
Overrated: TE Eric Ebron
He had 61 catches last season with one touchdown, but you expect so much more. Not only that, he isn't a great blocker in the run game. This former first-round pick has the tools to be so much more.

Underrated: DE Kerry Hyder
He is a self-made player who spent time on some practice squads before becoming a sometimes starter last season for the Lions. He led the team in sacks with 8.5 in 2016 although he started just two games. Hyder doesn't have great athletic ability or size, but he gets by with his effort and toughness.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: CBS Sports - Most Overrated and Underrated Vikings

Post by autobon7 »

I would pretty much agree with the Viks selected.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Danielle Hunter had 12.5 sacks anc wasn't even a full time starter. This year he is one and faces a pretty weak schedule. Everybody will know his name next season.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Danielle Hunter had 12.5 sacks anc wasn't even a full time starter. This year he is one and faces a pretty weak schedule. Everybody will know his name next season.
Yeah, I still don't think he's underrated. I said this somewhere here before, but unheralded is more of the description that comes to mind. Eric Kendricks is probably the most underrated.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Yeah, I still don't think he's underrated. I said this somewhere here before, but unheralded is more of the description that comes to mind. Eric Kendricks is probably the most underrated.
100% Agree. Kendrick was the name I thought of when I read the thread title. It's as if he took over where Barr was supposed to.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Agree with the list. Hunter is a stud imo. I think Barr is a very good player and am glad they have him but he can improve a lot and definitely has untapped potential. I would like to see him be used as a Blitzer more often.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Maelstrom88 wrote:Agree with the list. Hunter is a stud imo. I think Barr is a very good player and am glad they have him but he can improve a lot and definitely has untapped potential. I would like to see him be used as a Blitzer more often.
Word out of camp is that Hunter is only getting better.

Also, I read the Vikings will give Barr more pass rushing/blitzing opportunities this year.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

dead_poet wrote: Word out of camp is that Hunter is only getting better.

Also, I read the Vikings will give Barr more pass rushing/blitzing opportunities this year.
Nice. Very excited to see this defense. Only concern is vs. The run.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

I always thought Barr was underrated based on his Recent Madden rankings (high 70s). We don't use Barr enough as a blitzer or rusher as someone else mentioned, good to hear in camp they're doing it more, hopefully we see it in a real game. IMO if Barr was in a 3-4 defense and was used similar to how the bears use Leonard Floyd, I definitely think he would be a force and probably top 10 as his position in a stacked position in the nfl.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK, so I never know quite how to take articles like this one, but here goes.
ESPN.com wrote:By the end of last season, Zimmer was noting publicly Barr's "tendency to coast a little bit." His sacks, batted passes and forced fumbles totals dropped, and it was fair to wonder if the Vikings were going to get the value they expected from a top-10 draft pick. (Among the players they passed on in their No. 9 spot are receiver Odell Beckham Jr., chosen at No. 12, and defensive tackle Aaron Donald, selected one spot later.)

Even Barr acknowledged the issue, saying at the start of camp that picking up his effort has been a "big emphasis" during the offseason. As it turns out, his pledge wasn't just a matter of words. According to Zimmer and others, Barr turned a corner early in the offseason and has been practicing at a noticeably better pace ever since.
I mean, are we supposed to be excited that our No. 9 pick has decided to try harder?

The optimist in me want to believe Barr will have a breakout year and vault himself to Von-Miller-like superstardom.

Jeez, the optimist in me is annoying.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:OK, so I never know quite how to take articles like this one, but here goes.
I mean, are we supposed to be excited that our No. 9 pick has decided to try harder?

The optimist in me want to believe Barr will have a breakout year and vault himself to Von-Miller-like superstardom.

Jeez, the optimist in me is annoying.
I think sometimes these guys with natural talent think they can just coast. I'm glad that he recognized that, and is putting forth more effort. I just hope it continues. Your optimism annoys you, and my pessimism annoys me, so we can balance each other out. :rock:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Meh ... he's human regardless of draft selection. This guy was being told how great he was after his rookie year and that can cause a person to rest on their laurels. I don't know about you guys, but I still had some learning to do at 25 (and still do ... but even more back then!). I'm glad it seems like he's receptive to the people teaching him.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

IMHO, Barr is one of the most overrated players the Vikings have had in years. And Kendricks is a very nice surprise, along with Hunter. Now if we can get Griffen not to jump offsides, we are in decent shape. Does anyone know how many times he jumped offsides last year?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:IMHO, Barr is one of the most overrated players the Vikings have had in years. And Kendricks is a very nice surprise, along with Hunter. Now if we can get Griffen not to jump offsides, we are in decent shape. Does anyone know how many times he jumped offsides last year?
Looks like four offsides and three neutral zone infractions.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/player/e-gr ... ?year=2016
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly