Linval Joseph gets an extension

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Linval Joseph gets an extension

Post by Maelstrom88 »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... NQ&ampcf=1

Really glad they've locked up some of the defensive core players.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Linval Joseph gets an extension

Post by Texas Vike »

Excellent news!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I like this but my concern is they are focusing a lot on defense now and almost not at all on offense. They need to extend Bradford,or I fear all of this money they are spending is a huge waste. I think they are putting way too many eggs in the Teddy Bridgewater basket right now.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Eh, I think they have accepted that Teddy is a long shot to ever play again and they want to see more of Sam before locking him into a long term deal. I'm ok with it.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Linval Hungry, as Pete Bercich calls him, won't have to go hungry now.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I like this but my concern is they are focusing a lot on defense now and almost not at all on offense. They need to extend Bradford,or I fear all of this money they are spending is a huge waste. I think they are putting way too many eggs in the Teddy Bridgewater basket right now.

I think they're trying to front load contracts so they can sign him.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote:I think they're trying to front load contracts so they can sign him.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
This off-season?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Ya not sure he gets extended before that
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I like this but my concern is they are focusing a lot on defense now and almost not at all on offense. They need to extend Bradford,or I fear all of this money they are spending is a huge waste. I think they are putting way too many eggs in the Teddy Bridgewater basket right now.

These are actually money-saving moves (and pretty savvy by the Vikings IMO).
ESPN.com wrote:For the first time in their history, the Vikings extended the contract of a player -- actually, two -- who had more than one year remaining before expiration. Most teams hold a hard line on the one-year mark, hoping to avoid a precedent that would prompt other players to line up for early re-negotiations.

In this scenario, however, the Vikings approached defensive end Everson Griffen and nose tackle Linval Joseph with early offers. Both players would have been under contract through the 2018 season, but both are under 30 and the Vikings knew their prices would only rise if they waited until next summer. In exchange for the premature deals, the Vikings received early cost certainty and a discount off what each player was likely to command next year.
More at the link.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Agree with PMR 100%
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Who outside of the QB is up for a contract?

The QB situation is a more complicated than it seems on the surface, at least in my opinion. Lots of unanswered questions regard TB and his future. Also lots of questions on Bradford. If they lock one of them up, they they are set on a path. The question is, which is the right path in the LONG term?

There is risk to them waiting to sign. But there is also risk to them hurrying to sign. I like that they are waiting.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

mansquatch wrote:Who outside of the QB is up for a contract?

The QB situation is a more complicated than it seems on the surface, at least in my opinion. Lots of unanswered questions regard TB and his future. Also lots of questions on Bradford. If they lock one of them up, they they are set on a path. The question is, which is the right path in the LONG term?

There is risk to them waiting to sign. But there is also risk to them hurrying to sign. I like that they are waiting.
Most free agents have some sort of replacement on the team already: McKinnon, Berger, Easton, Shariff Floyd, Sherels, Newman. They locked up the major ones they needed to.

While still under contract, it's likely Diggs and Hunter will need to be renegotiated.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Is Shari Floyd still. On the team?

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Is Shari Floyd still. On the team?

Yes. He's on something similar to the PUP but for non-football related injuries. Forget the exact acronym.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote: Yes. He's on something similar to the PUP but for non-football related injuries. Forget the exact acronym.
Will he play this year?