View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Encouraging article about Dalvin Cook 
Hall of Famer

Post Encouraging article about Dalvin Cook
Head Coach Mike Zimmer wrote:
“The first thing the veteran players I’ve talked to about him say is, ‘This guy gets it.’” coach Mike Zimmer explained during a quiet moment after Sunday’s practice. “He understands protections, he works hard, they see how he interacts in the locker room, and that’s part of it. And then, when you have a special player—like when we got [linebacker Anthony] Barr—they say, ‘Hey, man, this guy is different than other guys.’

“That’s kinda how he is. They see him out there on the field with the other guys, and it’s like, ‘There’s something different about this guy, the way he runs, accelerates, the creases he can get to.’ He’s got a tough mentality. Players can see exceptional athletes. When they go out there and they’re going against guys, they can see: This guy is pretty good.”

More at the link.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:34 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: Encouraging article about Dalvin Cook
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Head Coach Mike Zimmer wrote:
“The first thing the veteran players I’ve talked to about him say is, ‘This guy gets it.’” coach Mike Zimmer explained during a quiet moment after Sunday’s practice. “He understands protections, he works hard, they see how he interacts in the locker room, and that’s part of it. And then, when you have a special player—like when we got [linebacker Anthony] Barr—they say, ‘Hey, man, this guy is different than other guys.’

“That’s kinda how he is. They see him out there on the field with the other guys, and it’s like, ‘There’s something different about this guy, the way he runs, accelerates, the creases he can get to.’ He’s got a tough mentality. Players can see exceptional athletes. When they go out there and they’re going against guys, they can see: This guy is pretty good.”

More at the link.

It's early, but I'm very glad to hear it and hope this 'feeling' manifests when the games start to count. I really look forward to seeing him play.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:26 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Dalvin's coming out party week two vs the squeelers?

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:52 pm
Commissioner

He's getting a lot of hype. It's certainly easing the departure of AD (I'm still sad and feel like we were ripped off from a couple of years of AD goodness). I can't wait to see him in the preseason. What's noticeable to me on tape is his vision and patience. It's hard to teach vision. And Lord knows AD wasn't known for his patience. I'm getting a Jamaal Charles vibe from him.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:06 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

CbusVikesFan wrote:

With Mckinnon sidelined, and Murray showing no rush to get on the field at all I wouldn't be surprised if his coming out party is week 1!

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:41 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

CbusVikesFan wrote:

I hope and pray you are right.......always want a Viks win but also hate the "squeelers".

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:21 am
All Pro Elite Player

autobon7 wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:

I hope and pray you are right.......always want a Viks win but also hate the "squeelers".

Live around here. They're everywhere.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:52 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Norv Zimmer wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:

With Mckinnon sidelined, and Murray showing no rush to get on the field at all I wouldn't be surprised if his coming out party is week 1!

Lol, you may be right. But I was thinking conservatively, Murray carrying most of the load in the week one throwfest.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:55 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
It's early, but I'm very glad to hear it and hope this 'feeling' manifests when the games start to count. I really look forward to seeing him play.

I think he's likely to play well. I just hope he can stay out of trouble.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:21 pm
Fenrir

CbusVikesFan wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:
CbusVikesFan wrote:

Lol, you may be right. But I was thinking conservatively, Murray carrying most of the load in the week one throwfest.

I don't know that it will be a throwfest. If you look at how the Saints have been building/drafting it seems like they want to establish the run. As do the Vikings. The Saints will know the Vikings defense was good against the pass and they have top notch rushers, but have been susceptible at times to the rush. Plus Brees isn't getting any younger. Not to say he still isn't playing at a high level, but he probably can't carry as heavy a load as he once could.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:22 pm
All Pro Elite Player

First game of the season, idk. Not too much longer to wait.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:51 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

Yeah, there's that too!

I wonder who he's bonding with on the team?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:44 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

Yeah, there's that too!

I wonder who he's bonding with on the team?

Hopefully, it's someone who loves to stay home at night, play family board games and watch re-runs of The Muppet Show. :tongue:

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:04 pm
Starter

I was really happy when they selected Cook. I think it will go down as one of the biggest steals of this draft. Really like the potential of this backfield.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:13 pm
Career Elite Player

Maelstrom88 wrote:
I was really happy when they selected Cook. I think it will go down as one of the biggest steals of this draft. Really like the potential of this backfield.

Hopefully it doesn't end up like another Viking RB SOD with an airport Wizzinator!!!

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:15 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:

Hopefully it doesn't end up like another Viking RB SOD with an airport Wizzinator!!!
Yeah, Onterrio was a really good RB, but that incident will always be what he is remembered for.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:

Hopefully, it's someone who loves to stay home at night, play family board games and watch re-runs of The Muppet Show. :tongue:

Totally!

:lol:

Whizzinator.... I hadn't thought of that incident in years. That was a classic Viking's moment. Might be the quintessential moment in franchise history, actually. That, or love boat. (Might make an interesting poll.)

Sigh.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:13 pm
Practice Squad

Who's the single-game leading rusher in the new stadium? It's going to be 1 of 2 guys come Sept 11th.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:10 am
Career Elite Player

Rock45 wrote:
Who's the single-game leading rusher in the new stadium? It's going to be 1 of 2 guys come Sept 11th.

Top 3 from 2016

1. Jordan Howard 135y ds
2. David Johnson 103 yds
3. Frank Gore 101 101 yds

I hope the Vikings have an answer for Howard. He torched the Vikings for 153 yds at CHI too.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:07 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

Well, the article talks about that, too.

Quote:
But he [Rick Spielman] also knew why Cook was still available. Concerns were widespread over a string of incidents early in Cook’s time at Florida State, as well as the crowd from his native Miami that he ran with. So Spielman called the 21-year-old, who was at the mall with his family when an unidentified Minnesota number popped up on his cell. It was almost an hour before the two were done.

Later ...
Quote:
So what convinced Spielman? The first thing was that everything Cook told the Vikings, in particular running backs coach Kennedy Polamalu, in February matched up with what he was telling the GM that morning from the mall. That’s why Speilman, as he puts it, “felt very strongly we weren’t getting BS’d.”

The second thing was a simple promise: Cook would come to Minnesota alone.

“Baggage can be a distraction,” said Cook, in explaining his plan. “Coming to the next level, you’re getting paid top dollar. And they want you to be focused coming in, they want you zeroed in on the playbook. Football’s what you’re coming in for. That was very important to him.”

Spielman and Zimmer also knew that the structure Cook would have around him was rock solid. The Vikings’ cyclone of a 2016 season—from Bridgewater’s freak injury to the offensive coordinator change to the offensive line’s rash of injuries—gave them proof of the team’s makeup. Also helpful: the distance. Minneapolis is 1,800 miles from Miami.

“A lot of the people we talked to felt like, maybe, if he stayed in Miami, that might be a problem,” Zimmer said. “But coming up here, and we talked about who’s coming with him, what his plan for the season was, we were comfortable.”

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:21 pm
Hall of Famer

I really like Cook, and wanted him over Mixon. Cook is no angel, but hopefully can stay out of trouble. Mixon is just a thug.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:47 pm
Commissioner

Detailed stats-driven analysis of Cook thus far (with Gifs):

How good is Dalvin Cook?

http://zonecoverage.com/2017/vikings/ho ... lvin-cook/

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:19 am
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:
Detailed stats-driven analysis of Cook thus far (with Gifs):

How good is Dalvin Cook?

http://zonecoverage.com/2017/vikings/ho ... lvin-cook/

Wow. That really IS detailed.

I've loved watching him wait patiently for holes to develop. He doesn't typically give you that BOOM "and away he goes" explosion into the secondary that AP gave you. But he also doesn't give that BOOM "Crap ... I just ran into my own lineman" stuff, either. Cook is also a lot stronger at the point of attack than I would have guessed. He doesn't go down easily.

As the article says, if he can get his dropped-pass issues ironed out, he can be a true multi-faceted star.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]