This cannot happen!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Trkn10
Practice Squad
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:30 pm

This cannot happen!

Post by Trkn10 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:15 pm

I drop in to check the Forum every couple of days and see lots of discussions about upgrades, uncertainty in depth, Sam, etc., but when are we going to start talking about the fact that this season's Super Bowl is on home turf (NPI) and it will be a colossal embarrassment if we don't show for the dance (see link regarding Packer's president statement to fans: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pac ... ar-AAoLtA2)

Here's my prediction for 2017-2018 - "If the Minnesota Vikings do not make the Super Bowl (and win it) this season - they never will". I repeat "If the Minnesota Vikings do not make the Super Bowl (and win it) this season - they never will". The era of settling for mediocrity has got to end before the kick-off of the pre-season and that s... starts with the fans in MN voicing loud and clear to the team at training camp and every home (and away) game that the Super Bowl is here, and now and they can/must rise to the challenge!

This is a historic opportunity for the Vikings to break their miserable SB losing streak and something that should be talked about among all levels of team leadership (Wilfs, coaches, and players) at every opportunity. :v): :slice: :beerock: :smilevike:

SKOL!

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by autobon7 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:38 am

Trkn10 wrote:I drop in to check the Forum every couple of days and see lots of discussions about upgrades, uncertainty in depth, Sam, etc., but when are we going to start talking about the fact that this season's Super Bowl is on home turf (NPI) and it will be a colossal embarrassment if we don't show for the dance (see link regarding Packer's president statement to fans: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pac ... ar-AAoLtA2)

Here's my prediction for 2017-2018 - "If the Minnesota Vikings do not make the Super Bowl (and win it) this season - they never will". I repeat "If the Minnesota Vikings do not make the Super Bowl (and win it) this season - they never will". The era of settling for mediocrity has got to end before the kick-off of the pre-season and that s... starts with the fans in MN voicing loud and clear to the team at training camp and every home (and away) game that the Super Bowl is here, and now and they can/must rise to the challenge!

This is a historic opportunity for the Vikings to break their miserable SB losing streak and something that should be talked about among all levels of team leadership (Wilfs, coaches, and players) at every opportunity. :v): :slice: :beerock: :smilevike:

SKOL!
Agree....this opportunity will prolly not come along again under this ownership.

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3329
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by 808vikingsfan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:13 pm

NO team has had home field advantage in a superbowl. Zero.
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1283
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:06 pm
Location: New Hope, MN
Contact:

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by akvikingsfan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:32 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:NO team has had home field advantage in a superbowl. Zero.
This is true. I don't have the time to look it up now, but does anyone know if a team has ever played a Super Bowl in a division rival's stadium?

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3329
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by 808vikingsfan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:04 pm

akvikingsfan wrote: This is true. I don't have the time to look it up now, but does anyone know if a team has ever played a Super Bowl in a division rival's stadium?
The only one I've found is the Bronco's winning at Qualcomm.


Here's something to think about.
Over the last 25 years the overall record of NFL teams who are set to host the Super the next season is 225-191 (54.1%). The very next year these same teams have gone a miserable 178-238 (42.8%).

The 2013 Super Bowl was played at the Superdome in New Orleans. The Saints were coming off a 13-3 campaign and many thought this curse would be put to rest. Next thing you know the Bounty scandal is announced and New Orleans goes 7-9 and fails to make the playoffs.

The previous year the Indianapolis Colts were set to host the Super Bowl. This team figured to be in the mix. That was until Peyton Manning misses the entire season with a neck injury. The Colts wound up finishing with a record of 2-14. It was the fourth time that the host team ended up with the worst record in the league.

It doesn’t stop with the Saints and Colts. There was plenty of hype surrounding the Cowboys heading into the 2010 regular season. Dallas was coming off a playoff appearance and 11-5 record in 2009. The Cowboys unexpectedly opened 1-7 and would finish 6-10.
Complete History of the Super Bowl Curse & Host City (misleading article title. No complete history here.)
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3329
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by 808vikingsfan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:18 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:The only one I've found is the Bronco's winning at Qualcomm.

Sorry. Played in a division rival's stadium?

Last 25 years:

SB49 Pats vs Seahawks at Glendale, AZ
SB37 Bucs vs Raiders at San Diego, CA
SB32 Broncos vs Packers at San Diego, CA


To be fair, the SB will only be held in a dome or a stadium with nice Feb weather.
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11222
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by S197 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Can't think of a nicer reward after decades of suffering.

User avatar
Trkn10
Practice Squad
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by Trkn10 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:53 pm

808vikingsfan wrote:NO team has had home field advantage in a superbowl. Zero.
Yes, I'm aware of that and EXACTLY WHY this opportunity is so important to properly exploit. We have been one or two key pieces/plays from making it the last couple of years and if we can get back to the way we looked in the first 5 weeks of last year, we can do it.

The problem with this team is that once they get in a funk - forget it. Behind all the glitz, flash, and glamour of the new stadium, we really have very little substance to speak of from a leadership perspective. Where's our Ray Lewis, Richard Sherman, Teddy Bruschi, Tom Brady???? I can't remember the last time I saw a clip of our sideline and saw players riveted to the action on the field getting their teammates fired-up. It's usually our guys on the sideline kicking rocks in the parking lot like the kid that doesn't get picked in gym class. And I'm not done! Look at some of the post game pressers and locker room clips when we've lost. It's the same BS we saw under Frazier. "Got to look at the tape", "gonna get back to it Monday" ... blah blah. And the locker room - what a bunch of head hangin' hosers. We have some guys on this team who are capable of intimidating opponents, breaking heads, and resetting the tone of smash mouth 1970s Vikings' football. Zimmer needs to take the chains off and look for opportunities where we can afford a penalty or two to set the tone during a game. We need guys on this team (and coaches) who are not afraid to kick garbage cans around, throw clipboards, and turn tables full of Gatorade over when #### is not going right. Equally as effective, housing guys up on the sideline when they make a killer play. When was the last time we saw one of our head coaches give a guy "some skin" or a hard smack on the helmet or shoulder pad?? I think Mike Tice maybe?? Priefer's got that intensity so maybe we should use him as the team's Minister of Inspiration.

I know this is a lot of babble, but I'm so f'n frustrated watching this team leave us all with blue ball because it's really quite easy - inspiration, aggressiveness, creativity, and accountability. If this team can find those attributes we'll be the first team to not only play in, but win a Super Bowl in their home stadium. It can be done - they just have to be told they are going to do it, and believe they can do it. This is what I meant when I said all fans who can get within earshot of them from tomorrow on should use the opportunity for a home SB as a rallying cry. I'd do it, but it's a little hard from Virginia. :(

If somebody has an "in" with the local rags that cover the Vikings please get them to start the hype. It's pretty bad when the Packer's are already talking #### about it. :steamed:

Let it start now. SKOL! :govikes: :rock: :v): :smilevike: :appl: :ripple:

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by autobon7 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:34 am

I've seen Zimmer fired up on the sideline......maybe not as often as you are hinting at but he is far from an emotionless statue. The players as a whole on the other hand have a ways to go. Patterson seemed to express the most emotion but he landed in Raider land. Maybe Griffen? Would like to see more fire from the players.

User avatar
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1565
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:24 am
Location: south minneapolis
Contact:

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by PsyDanny » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:24 am

Trkn10 wrote: Yes, I'm aware of that and EXACTLY WHY this opportunity is so important to properly exploit. We have been one or two key pieces/plays from making it the last couple of years and if we can get back to the way we looked in the first 5 weeks of last year, we can do it.

The problem with this team is that once they get in a funk - forget it. Behind all the glitz, flash, and glamour of the new stadium, we really have very little substance to speak of from a leadership perspective. Where's our Ray Lewis, Richard Sherman, Teddy Bruschi, Tom Brady???? I can't remember the last time I saw a clip of our sideline and saw players riveted to the action on the field getting their teammates fired-up. It's usually our guys on the sideline kicking rocks in the parking lot like the kid that doesn't get picked in gym class. And I'm not done! Look at some of the post game pressers and locker room clips when we've lost. It's the same BS we saw under Frazier. "Got to look at the tape", "gonna get back to it Monday" ... blah blah. And the locker room - what a bunch of head hangin' hosers. We have some guys on this team who are capable of intimidating opponents, breaking heads, and resetting the tone of smash mouth 1970s Vikings' football. Zimmer needs to take the chains off and look for opportunities where we can afford a penalty or two to set the tone during a game. We need guys on this team (and coaches) who are not afraid to kick garbage cans around, throw clipboards, and turn tables full of Gatorade over when #### is not going right. Equally as effective, housing guys up on the sideline when they make a killer play. When was the last time we saw one of our head coaches give a guy "some skin" or a hard smack on the helmet or shoulder pad?? I think Mike Tice maybe?? Priefer's got that intensity so maybe we should use him as the team's Minister of Inspiration.

I know this is a lot of babble, but I'm so f'n frustrated watching this team leave us all with blue ball because it's really quite easy - inspiration, aggressiveness, creativity, and accountability. If this team can find those attributes we'll be the first team to not only play in, but win a Super Bowl in their home stadium. It can be done - they just have to be told they are going to do it, and believe they can do it. This is what I meant when I said all fans who can get within earshot of them from tomorrow on should use the opportunity for a home SB as a rallying cry. I'd do it, but it's a little hard from Virginia. :(

If somebody has an "in" with the local rags that cover the Vikings please get them to start the hype. It's pretty bad when the Packer's are already talking #### about it. :steamed:

Let it start now. SKOL! :govikes: :rock: :v): :smilevike: :appl: :ripple:

"ministry of inspiration"

Love it!
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."

User avatar
Laserman
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7310
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by Laserman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:20 am

Well the raiders beating us in Pasadena was pretty close and very much a home field advantage for them

ERIK the PURPLE
Backup
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:16 am

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by ERIK the PURPLE » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:50 am

I know this wasn't technically their home stadium, but the Rams playing in Pasadena in SB XIV is about as big a home field advantage one could have.

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18383
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by PurpleMustReign » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:35 am

ERIK the PURPLE wrote:I know this wasn't technically their home stadium, but the Rams playing in Pasadena in SB XIV is about as big a home field advantage one could have.
San Fran won in Stanford Stadium in the 80s,didnt they?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Trkn10
Practice Squad
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by Trkn10 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:16 pm

3 different California-based teams playing in 3 Super Bowls in California - something smells fishy :roll:

I see Newman has been following this Thread :rock: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ter ... ar-AApbIn2

Seriously though, hopefully he can take on the role of elder statesman and lead these guys to the promised land :govikes:

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3329
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by 808vikingsfan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:01 am

Maybe Exum has started the fire

Treadwell and Exum Brawl
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 855
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by Norv Zimmer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:13 am

I like Exum, hope he makes the team. Is he any good at special teams? He looks physical

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11222
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by S197 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Norv Zimmer wrote:I like Exum, hope he makes the team. Is he any good at special teams? He looks physical
Tough to say as he's been hurt a lot. Man he was throwing some punches though, I thought it was just a little pushing and shoving. That was a nice route by Treadwell, not sure what made Exum so upset other than clearly getting beaten.

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by dead_poet » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:08 pm

S197 wrote: Tough to say as he's been hurt a lot. Man he was throwing some punches though, I thought it was just a little pushing and shoving. That was a nice route by Treadwell, not sure what made Exum so upset other than clearly getting beaten.
Treadwell celebrated a bit on the ground. I mean, nothing that seemed to warrant that reaction but there's a good to great chance the two were probably exchanging pleasantries across from each other for most of the day prior and Exum was probably upset he got beat.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11222
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by S197 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:45 pm

dead_poet wrote: Treadwell celebrated a bit on the ground. I mean, nothing that seemed to warrant that reaction but there's a good to great chance the two were probably exchanging pleasantries across from each other for most of the day prior and Exum was probably upset he got beat.
Sounds like there's no hard feelings so that's good but Exum's going to need to control that temper. He'd for sure get thrown out if that was a game. Glad to see his passion and competitiveness but he needs to know where the line is.

User avatar
jackal
Strong Safety
Posts: 11558
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Location: California

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by jackal » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 pm

The only two years I felt we should won were
2009 and 1998 .

Imo we have a small chance because of our
Depth on defense and easy schedule (supposedly )


Our offense will have to be much better and consistent
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

User avatar
Trkn10
Practice Squad
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by Trkn10 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Exactly the kind of opening to the season I was hoping for.

If this team can keep up this level of enthusiasm, skill, and fight I think they'll start believing that a home Superbowl can be a reality.

For those who attended the game last night - Bravo for doing your duty and putting up a great effort as fans. You made a significant impression on Cook (as evidenced by his comments in his post-game locker room interview) and I believe you threw off NO's mojo. Try to motivate those who continue to sit there like lumps on logs. You can see on TV there's plenty of slackers sitting around looking disinterested. :spanking: We're going to need every decibel with each coming game :beerock: :appl:

On to Pittsburgh and another win! :govikes:

SKOL!

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11222
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by S197 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:04 pm

I stood 90% of the time and lost my voice. I'll never understand people paying all that money to sit there.

The crowd for the most part is good though. The skol chant was better this year but some people simply have no rhythm lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18383
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by PurpleMustReign » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:04 am

S197 wrote:I stood 90% of the time and lost my voice. I'll never understand people paying all that money to sit there.

The crowd for the most part is good though. The skol chant was better this year but some people simply have no rhythm lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Haha. What is different about the chant?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6908
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 am

S197 wrote:I stood 90% of the time and lost my voice. I'll never understand people paying all that money to sit there.
You're young, aren't you? :lol:

Seriously, I'll stand as much as I need to. But if everybody around me sits for a minute, my tired old butt is down. Like ... during TV timeouts, stuff like that.

It's funny ... at home, I never sit. Can't. Wear out a path pacing the living room carpet. And with all the yelling I do, I'm guessing the neighbors think I'm abusing my wife.
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18383
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by PurpleMustReign » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:24 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote: You're young, aren't you? [emoji38]

Seriously, I'll stand as much as I need to. But if everybody around me sits for a minute, my tired old butt is down. Like ... during TV timeouts, stuff like that.

It's funny ... at home, I never sit. Can't. Wear out a path pacing the living room carpet. And with all the yelling I do, I'm guessing the neighbors think I'm abusing my wife.
Lol. When I had both of my dogs (down to one now), they hated football season. There were games there they wouldn't even take a treat from me after.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5277
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:12 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote: You're young, aren't you? :lol:

Seriously, I'll stand as much as I need to. But if everybody around me sits for a minute, my tired old butt is down. Like ... during TV timeouts, stuff like that.

It's funny ... at home, I never sit. Can't. Wear out a path pacing the living room carpet. And with all the yelling I do, I'm guessing the neighbors think I'm abusing my wife.
This couldnt be more accurate on my end as well. I even get to the point where I am obnoxiously superstitious. Like if my phone is in my right pocket and the opposing team scores, I'll switch it to my left pocket hahaha. Little things like that I'm terrible with and I dont know why. I've switched jerseys during games too if we arent playing well. But yeah, I pace back and forth terrible
Image

User avatar
Grashopa
Franchise Player
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by Grashopa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:39 am

I'm pretty mellow. Usually just lounge and watch the game quietly unless something really good, really bad or really stupid happens. The wiff is usually more emotional than i am. But we were both dead silent after the Blair Walsh miss....

Was at the game this week and I was also on my feet most of the time (probably not 90%) hooting and holaring, jumping around. But i felt like i had to make up for the last game i went to when i tweaked my back at work that day. (Dallas game last year).
Formerly AADPFan

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11222
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by S197 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:03 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote: You're young, aren't you? [emoji38]

Seriously, I'll stand as much as I need to. But if everybody around me sits for a minute, my tired old butt is down. Like ... during TV timeouts, stuff like that.

It's funny ... at home, I never sit. Can't. Wear out a path pacing the living room carpet. And with all the yelling I do, I'm guessing the neighbors think I'm abusing my wife.
Oh yeah I sit through timeouts and stuff. 90% during the action.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11222
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by S197 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:06 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:Haha. What is different about the chant?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Nothing different just people more on beat than the first game last year. Still a really cool thing to see/do. Wish they'd do it more than twice a game.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

User avatar
Trkn10
Practice Squad
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by Trkn10 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:48 pm

I've only been to two Vikings games in MN - Oct 26, 2003 (loss to the Giants after starting 6-0), and the home opener against the Packers last year. I'm 52 and will stand until told to sit down. Last year I was standing against the railing directly behind the cross bar until mid-way into the 2nd Qrtr when a stadium official told me I had to sit down because there were "complaints". The complaints were probably from the NFL saying the nut slamming beers, yelling and swinging his SKOL towel might fall over the railing on TV. :thumbsup:

It took 3 days for my voice to come back (almost to normal). :beerock: :govikes:

Keep rocking that place guys and you'll keep the team fired up. :appl: :smilevike: :rock:

BTW - how the hell do you post pics on this Forum?

Post Reply