2017 Training Camp Updates

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

2017 Training Camp Updates

Post by akvikingsfan »

It's finally here! The season is almost on us. Today the Vikings have started training camp with a rookies and select others reporting. Figured I'd start a thread for people to post updates.
Chad Graff‏ wrote:First Vikings walk through of training camp. Forty-two players already here in Mankato. The rest join Wednesday.
Hobie Artigue‏ wrote:#Vikings RB Latavius Murray and LB Shaan Washington start camp on PUP list. DT Sharrif Floyd on NFI.
Vikings Victory‏ wrote:Vikings don't have to make a possible PUP move on Teddy Bridgewater until Thursday #Vikings
Pioneer Press wrote:#Vikings sign tackle Arturo Uzdavinis to complete training camp roster http://ebx.sh/2vBX3ee
Tommy Wiita wrote:#Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur says Hamline alum C.J. Ham will transition to fullback position from running back.
Note: will update post with more as it comes across my twitter feed. All updates posted are from twitter.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2017 Training Camp Updates

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Your avatar :rip:
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Some highlights from DPs link
Quarterback Taylor Heinicke looked sharp during the first day of practice. He delivered passes with improved arm strength and touch up the seam. He found wide receiver Rodney Adams on an out to the sideline, hitting him in stride as he broke to the sideline. He was most impressive on intermediate passes 15-20 yards down the field.
It is clear to see why so many draft experts were surprised to see running back Dalvin Cook slide down the draft board. Cook moves so well in space and cuts with above average fluidity in tight spaces. He is extremely elusive and makes defenders miss with his quick cutbacks. When he runs of out of the shotgun, he gets downhill quickly with impressive explosion. More importantly, he is patient and runs with excellent vision to find open rushing lanes.
Tight end Nick Trusedell got open on a crosser and turned on the jets as he motored into the second level of the defense. At 6-foot-6, 252 pounds, Truesdell flashed another gear in the open field. He is even bigger than one first imagined with his long legs and strong upper body. It is worth seeing him run more routes throughout camp, but he has a very intriguing skill-set when you evaluate his game in person.
At linebacker, Ben Gedeon looked very comfortable on the football field. He reacts very well to plays and isn’t afraid to square up in the gap to prepare for a run stop. His instincts and natural feel for the game really stood out as he manned the middle of the Vikings’ linebacker corps.
In the secondary, cornerback Tre Roberson stole the show. He picked up a tackle for loss in the backfield and a pass breakup on a throw intended for Mortiz Böhringer. Later in practice, he beautifully covered wide receiver Isaac Fruechte’s fade up the sideline. He shadowed him to the boundary, shifted his hips, and extended his arms to snatch the interception.
Kicker Marshall Koehn drilled all seven field goal tries, ranging from 33 to 50 yards
Punter Taylor Symmank punted with impressive hangtime and sported the big leg we saw in college
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Rodney Adams Vlog First Day of Training Camp

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mike Zimmer noted defensive coordinator George Edwards will call defensive plays during a preseason game to determine if he’ll hold the role permanently.
I didn't realize that was a thing.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think they flirted with this a bit last year also.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Teddy placed on the Active/PUP, as expected. Will address media tomorrow.

:popcorn:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Zimmer mentioned Floyd may participate at some point in camp, which is pretty surprising and hopefully encouraging.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Quarterback Taylor Heinicke put together another strong practice on the second day of training camp. He continued to throw with accuracy and velocity to the sideline. He perfectly placed an out to Stacy Coley in a 4-on-4 passing drill. He is throwing with a tight spiral and touch to the sideline. More importantly, he is throwing with great anticipation and timing. In team drills, he tossed a tight spiral to RJ Shelton, hitting him in stride as he snapped off his route.
Slow me down, fellas...I keep over-hyping this guy in my mind. From what we saw in preseason two seasons ago to what I keep hearing; I just want to see what he can do. Not at the expense of a Bradford injury, but given his history, we might see Heinicke get some meaningful minutes in the regular season this year. Too early for a bold prediction? Heinicke is the starting quarterback for the Vikings in the playoffs?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Slow me down, fellas...I keep over-hyping this guy in my mind. From what we saw in preseason two seasons ago to what I keep hearing; I just want to see what he can do. Not at the expense of a Bradford injury, but given his history, we might see Heinicke get some meaningful minutes in the regular season this year. Too early for a bold prediction? Heinicke is the starting quarterback for the Vikings in the playoffs?
Slow down, partner.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Slow me down, fellas...I keep over-hyping this guy in my mind. From what we saw in preseason two seasons ago to what I keep hearing; I just want to see what he can do. Not at the expense of a Bradford injury, but given his history, we might see Heinicke get some meaningful minutes in the regular season this year. Too early for a bold prediction? Heinicke is the starting quarterback for the Vikings in the playoffs?

Uhhhhh......(in my best Butthead voice) lol
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Always important to ask this question when watching guys at this time of the year: As compared to whom?

The last two days that notebook has been talking about guy who are maybe a 50/50 shot to ever play a single NFL down. The starters/vets showed up in camp yesterday. Are those same guys flashing on day 1 and day 2 going to flash vs. an NFL veteran? Some will, but most will not.

Just enjoy the spectacle, but don't get too excited until you see a guy do it on September.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi