This cannot happen!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Trkn10
Practice Squad

This cannot happen!

Post by Trkn10 »

I drop in to check the Forum every couple of days and see lots of discussions about upgrades, uncertainty in depth, Sam, etc., but when are we going to start talking about the fact that this season's Super Bowl is on home turf (NPI) and it will be a colossal embarrassment if we don't show for the dance (see link regarding Packer's president statement to fans: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pac ... ar-AAoLtA2)

Here's my prediction for 2017-2018 - "If the Minnesota Vikings do not make the Super Bowl (and win it) this season - they never will". I repeat "If the Minnesota Vikings do not make the Super Bowl (and win it) this season - they never will". The era of settling for mediocrity has got to end before the kick-off of the pre-season and that s... starts with the fans in MN voicing loud and clear to the team at training camp and every home (and away) game that the Super Bowl is here, and now and they can/must rise to the challenge!

This is a historic opportunity for the Vikings to break their miserable SB losing streak and something that should be talked about among all levels of team leadership (Wilfs, coaches, and players) at every opportunity. :v): :slice: :beerock: :smilevike:

SKOL!
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: This cannot happen!

Post by autobon7 »

Trkn10 wrote:I drop in to check the Forum every couple of days and see lots of discussions about upgrades, uncertainty in depth, Sam, etc., but when are we going to start talking about the fact that this season's Super Bowl is on home turf (NPI) and it will be a colossal embarrassment if we don't show for the dance (see link regarding Packer's president statement to fans: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/pac ... ar-AAoLtA2)

Here's my prediction for 2017-2018 - "If the Minnesota Vikings do not make the Super Bowl (and win it) this season - they never will". I repeat "If the Minnesota Vikings do not make the Super Bowl (and win it) this season - they never will". The era of settling for mediocrity has got to end before the kick-off of the pre-season and that s... starts with the fans in MN voicing loud and clear to the team at training camp and every home (and away) game that the Super Bowl is here, and now and they can/must rise to the challenge!

This is a historic opportunity for the Vikings to break their miserable SB losing streak and something that should be talked about among all levels of team leadership (Wilfs, coaches, and players) at every opportunity. :v): :slice: :beerock: :smilevike:

SKOL!
Agree....this opportunity will prolly not come along again under this ownership.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

NO team has had home field advantage in a superbowl. Zero.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

808vikingsfan wrote:NO team has had home field advantage in a superbowl. Zero.
This is true. I don't have the time to look it up now, but does anyone know if a team has ever played a Super Bowl in a division rival's stadium?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

akvikingsfan wrote: This is true. I don't have the time to look it up now, but does anyone know if a team has ever played a Super Bowl in a division rival's stadium?
The only one I've found is the Bronco's winning at Qualcomm.

Here's something to think about.
Over the last 25 years the overall record of NFL teams who are set to host the Super the next season is 225-191 (54.1%). The very next year these same teams have gone a miserable 178-238 (42.8%).

The 2013 Super Bowl was played at the Superdome in New Orleans. The Saints were coming off a 13-3 campaign and many thought this curse would be put to rest. Next thing you know the Bounty scandal is announced and New Orleans goes 7-9 and fails to make the playoffs.

The previous year the Indianapolis Colts were set to host the Super Bowl. This team figured to be in the mix. That was until Peyton Manning misses the entire season with a neck injury. The Colts wound up finishing with a record of 2-14. It was the fourth time that the host team ended up with the worst record in the league.

It doesn’t stop with the Saints and Colts. There was plenty of hype surrounding the Cowboys heading into the 2010 regular season. Dallas was coming off a playoff appearance and 11-5 record in 2009. The Cowboys unexpectedly opened 1-7 and would finish 6-10.
Complete History of the Super Bowl Curse & Host City (misleading article title. No complete history here.)
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

808vikingsfan wrote:The only one I've found is the Bronco's winning at Qualcomm.

Sorry. Played in a division rival's stadium?

Last 25 years:

SB49 Pats vs Seahawks at Glendale, AZ
SB37 Bucs vs Raiders at San Diego, CA
SB32 Broncos vs Packers at San Diego, CA

To be fair, the SB will only be held in a dome or a stadium with nice Feb weather.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Can't think of a nicer reward after decades of suffering.
Trkn10
Practice Squad

Post by Trkn10 »

808vikingsfan wrote:NO team has had home field advantage in a superbowl. Zero.
Yes, I'm aware of that and EXACTLY WHY this opportunity is so important to properly exploit. We have been one or two key pieces/plays from making it the last couple of years and if we can get back to the way we looked in the first 5 weeks of last year, we can do it.

The problem with this team is that once they get in a funk - forget it. Behind all the glitz, flash, and glamour of the new stadium, we really have very little substance to speak of from a leadership perspective. Where's our Ray Lewis, Richard Sherman, Teddy Bruschi, Tom Brady???? I can't remember the last time I saw a clip of our sideline and saw players riveted to the action on the field getting their teammates fired-up. It's usually our guys on the sideline kicking rocks in the parking lot like the kid that doesn't get picked in gym class. And I'm not done! Look at some of the post game pressers and locker room clips when we've lost. It's the same BS we saw under Frazier. "Got to look at the tape", "gonna get back to it Monday" ... blah blah. And the locker room - what a bunch of head hangin' hosers. We have some guys on this team who are capable of intimidating opponents, breaking heads, and resetting the tone of smash mouth 1970s Vikings' football. Zimmer needs to take the chains off and look for opportunities where we can afford a penalty or two to set the tone during a game. We need guys on this team (and coaches) who are not afraid to kick garbage cans around, throw clipboards, and turn tables full of Gatorade over when #### is not going right. Equally as effective, housing guys up on the sideline when they make a killer play. When was the last time we saw one of our head coaches give a guy "some skin" or a hard smack on the helmet or shoulder pad?? I think Mike Tice maybe?? Priefer's got that intensity so maybe we should use him as the team's Minister of Inspiration.

I know this is a lot of babble, but I'm so f'n frustrated watching this team leave us all with blue ball because it's really quite easy - inspiration, aggressiveness, creativity, and accountability. If this team can find those attributes we'll be the first team to not only play in, but win a Super Bowl in their home stadium. It can be done - they just have to be told they are going to do it, and believe they can do it. This is what I meant when I said all fans who can get within earshot of them from tomorrow on should use the opportunity for a home SB as a rallying cry. I'd do it, but it's a little hard from Virginia. :(

If somebody has an "in" with the local rags that cover the Vikings please get them to start the hype. It's pretty bad when the Packer's are already talking #### about it. :steamed:

Let it start now. SKOL! :govikes: :rock: :v): :smilevike: :appl: :ripple:
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I've seen Zimmer fired up on the sideline......maybe not as often as you are hinting at but he is far from an emotionless statue. The players as a whole on the other hand have a ways to go. Patterson seemed to express the most emotion but he landed in Raider land. Maybe Griffen? Would like to see more fire from the players.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Trkn10 wrote: Yes, I'm aware of that and EXACTLY WHY this opportunity is so important to properly exploit. We have been one or two key pieces/plays from making it the last couple of years and if we can get back to the way we looked in the first 5 weeks of last year, we can do it.

The problem with this team is that once they get in a funk - forget it. Behind all the glitz, flash, and glamour of the new stadium, we really have very little substance to speak of from a leadership perspective. Where's our Ray Lewis, Richard Sherman, Teddy Bruschi, Tom Brady???? I can't remember the last time I saw a clip of our sideline and saw players riveted to the action on the field getting their teammates fired-up. It's usually our guys on the sideline kicking rocks in the parking lot like the kid that doesn't get picked in gym class. And I'm not done! Look at some of the post game pressers and locker room clips when we've lost. It's the same BS we saw under Frazier. "Got to look at the tape", "gonna get back to it Monday" ... blah blah. And the locker room - what a bunch of head hangin' hosers. We have some guys on this team who are capable of intimidating opponents, breaking heads, and resetting the tone of smash mouth 1970s Vikings' football. Zimmer needs to take the chains off and look for opportunities where we can afford a penalty or two to set the tone during a game. We need guys on this team (and coaches) who are not afraid to kick garbage cans around, throw clipboards, and turn tables full of Gatorade over when #### is not going right. Equally as effective, housing guys up on the sideline when they make a killer play. When was the last time we saw one of our head coaches give a guy "some skin" or a hard smack on the helmet or shoulder pad?? I think Mike Tice maybe?? Priefer's got that intensity so maybe we should use him as the team's Minister of Inspiration.

I know this is a lot of babble, but I'm so f'n frustrated watching this team leave us all with blue ball because it's really quite easy - inspiration, aggressiveness, creativity, and accountability. If this team can find those attributes we'll be the first team to not only play in, but win a Super Bowl in their home stadium. It can be done - they just have to be told they are going to do it, and believe they can do it. This is what I meant when I said all fans who can get within earshot of them from tomorrow on should use the opportunity for a home SB as a rallying cry. I'd do it, but it's a little hard from Virginia. :(

If somebody has an "in" with the local rags that cover the Vikings please get them to start the hype. It's pretty bad when the Packer's are already talking #### about it. :steamed:

Let it start now. SKOL! :govikes: :rock: :v): :smilevike: :appl: :ripple:

"ministry of inspiration"

Love it!
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Well the raiders beating us in Pasadena was pretty close and very much a home field advantage for them
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

I know this wasn't technically their home stadium, but the Rams playing in Pasadena in SB XIV is about as big a home field advantage one could have.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

ERIK the PURPLE wrote:I know this wasn't technically their home stadium, but the Rams playing in Pasadena in SB XIV is about as big a home field advantage one could have.
San Fran won in Stanford Stadium in the 80s,didnt they?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Trkn10
Practice Squad

Post by Trkn10 »

3 different California-based teams playing in 3 Super Bowls in California - something smells fishy :roll:

I see Newman has been following this Thread :rock: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ter ... ar-AApbIn2

Seriously though, hopefully he can take on the role of elder statesman and lead these guys to the promised land :govikes:
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Maybe Exum has started the fire

Treadwell and Exum Brawl