Murray vs. Cook

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Who is going to be the starting running back week 1?

Latavius Murray
5%
Dalvin Cook
53%
Even Split
11%
3-Headed Monster w/ Mckinnon getting a good share of the carries
32%

Total votes: 19

Grashopa
Franchise Player

Murray vs. Cook

Post by Grashopa »

I feel like this would be an interesting topic for discussion this summer, up until week 1.

Who is going to be the #1 RB / Starter week 1? Latavius Murray or Dalvin Cook?

Here is what Murray has to say about it.
"If I'm looking at it from my perspective, here I am, already behind in a sense, going into a new offense, new situation, but I'm injured, coming off an injury," Murray said of undergoing ankle surgery this offseason. "Dalvin's already been through the [organized team activities], he's already been through the offseason. So, he has that up on me. But also, looking at it as, hey, I'm the vet, I have time in this league, I've done some good things in this league. So I have a lot to bring to the table.

"You're looking at it from his aspect, 'Look this older vet is coming off this injury, it's time for him to step aside. I want this, and I should be the guy.'"
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ts-my-time

Right now i am leaning towards Dalvin Cook, mostly because it seems like he is better all around and from the sounds of it he has the potential to be the better back over his career. Depends on how quickly Murray can get back to form, he has real NFL experience....
Formerly AADPFan
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Murray vs. Cook

Post by mansquatch »

I suspect his time on the field at least in the near term will be directly correlated to ball security concerns, which was an issue on his scouting report. If he drops the rock Murray will see the field. If he shows explosiveness right from the start to the point of being a legit offensive scoring threat then he'll have more latitude.

McKinnon IMO is the odd guy out.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cook and he will be a stud.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I don't know. I find this to be kind of frivolous. It won't necessarily be Murray versus Cook as much as it is Murray in tandem with Cook (and McKinnon).

To answer the question though, I think if Cook proves to be explosive on the NFL level, you probably want him on the field to start every series.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I voted committee. Murray/Cook/McKinnon in that order. Murray is mode reliable but the others will be the gimmick and gadget stuff and have the bigger individual plays. They will be the "home run hitters."