2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Signings Thread

Post by autobon7 »

Vikings sign former Bears DT Will Sutton....To make room for Sutton, the Vikings released defensive tackle Toby Johnson
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Post by SidestreamFB Pete »

autobon7 wrote:Vikings sign former Bears DT Will Sutton....To make room for Sutton, the Vikings released defensive tackle Toby Johnson
Dam you. At first glance I thought you said the Bears' Josh Sitton.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote: Dam you. At first glance I thought you said the Bears' Josh Sitton.
Sorry Pete.....lol. I don't think Sutton will have the same impact that Sitton would but could be nice depth signing.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Not really looking good for Floyd. Surprised Toby got cut.
The 3 T's spot is getting crowded. Tom Johnson has to be a little concerned I would think.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Tom Johnson has been a very solid backup. Hope he sticks around.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

autobon7 wrote:Vikings sign former Bears DT Will Sutton....To make room for Sutton, the Vikings released defensive tackle Toby Johnson
2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Will Sutton

Summary: Sutton was in the running as one of the best defensive linemen in college football in 2012. He was right up there with Jadeveon Clowney, Star Lotulelei, Sheldon Richardson and Sharrif Floyd. In fact, Sutton had a better 2012 season than Aaron Donald as he was one of the nation's best pass rushers.

Sutton enjoyed a breakout season for the Sun Devils in 2012, recording 13 sacks. He also had 63 tackles, 23.5 tackles for a loss, five passes broken up and three forced fumbles. Sutton presented a real speed mismatch against guards with the ability to fire by them to collapse the pocket.

Entering his senior year, Sutton was asked to gain weight, and he went from the 280s to around 315 pounds. Sutton still retained some explosion playing at a heavier weight, but clearly wasn't the dynamic player he was in 2012. Sutton was still awarded the 2013 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year award over arguably more deserving players like Stanford's Trent Murphy or UCLA's Anthony Barr. He totaled 48 tackles with 13.5 tackles for a loss and four sacks. Sutton also saw a lot of double teams after his 2012 success.

At the Senior Bowl, Sutton was slow and out of shape at 315 pounds. That extra weight caused him to not have the same explosion, and he was easily winded. He was down to 303 pounds at the Combine, however, and looked much better. Currently Sutton is said to be in the mid 290s.

Sutton would be best as a three-technique defensive tackle. He is an excellent interior pass-rusher. Sutton beats guards with quickness and has nice hands to fight off blocks and close on the quarterback. His speed can set up a bull rush, and he is tenacious when it comes to getting heat on the quarterback.
J.R. @JReidDraftScout
Interesting pickup by the Vikings with Will Sutton. He was never a fit in the Bears 3-4 defense.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Post by SidestreamFB Pete »

autobon7 wrote: Sorry Pete.....lol. I don't think Sutton will have the same impact that Sitton would but could be nice depth signing.
Still, rock solid rotational/depth player. Don't hate it. Loading up on divisional secrets with Datone Jones and Sutton. Not that those defenses are all that hard to crack without the secrets.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@christomasson
2h
Panthers claim DT Toby Johnson off waivers from #Vikings. twitter.com/PanthersBryan/…
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

OP updated with all recent transactions. OP also updated with current cap space of this morning.

On Will Sutton: I was a big fan of him and wanted us to draft him a few years ago. I hope he can show something and make the team.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

Will Sutton is a great pick-up. Rotational depth is needed at 3T and he can fill that role nicely. His play has always been really hot and cold though so we will which player we get.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Matt Asiata - HB - Detroit

Matt Asiata, formerly of the Minnesota Vikings, has signed a one-year contract with the rival Detroit Lions.

Source: PFT, NFLN
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

OP updated with all recent team transactions (draft picks)
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Former University of Nebraska quarterback Tommy Armstrong, who was rumored to be signing with the Minnesota Vikings before not signing with the Minnesota Vikings, has officially signed with the Minnesota Vikings. The team just made the announcement via their website and Twitter accounts.

In order to make room for Armstrong on the roster, the Vikings waived wide receiver Mitch Mathews.
Early indication is he will try out at safety. (That is not a typo)
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Does anyone no if the Vikings are going to drop the tea
drinker or not?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:Does anyone no if the Vikings are going to drop the tea
drinker or not?
Nothing yet. I'd assume they would have done it already. Probably will keep him at this point in case injuries hit. He won't count against the 53 while suspended. This is all very Jerome Simpson-y.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly