Headed toward disaster?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Headed toward disaster?

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote:
Undoubtedly. If I had been playing on clay, the injury would not have happened. Most courts in the US are "hard courts," which are quite hard on the body. I have to replace my shoes every 6 months because the soles wear through.

Jim, sorry to hear you're dealing with something too. Speedy recovery!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Undoubtedly. If I had been playing on clay, the injury would not have happened. Most courts in the US are "hard courts," which are quite hard on the body. I have to replace my shoes every 6 months because the soles wear through.

Thanks. I appreciate that.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Undoubtedly. If I had been playing on clay, the injury would not have happened. Most courts in the US are "hard courts," which are quite hard on the body. I have to replace my shoes every 6 months because the soles wear through.

Well, you did say you were walking 14K steps a day. ;)
Thanks. I appreciate that.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:

Well, you did say you were walking 14K steps a day. ;)
But those are shoes I only wear for playing tennis and I only play 2 to 3 times a week! The surface is abrasive and Nadal is my model--i.e. go hard for every single ball. It caught up to me, I guess.

Some things I hadn't realized previous to this injury and surgery: ACL reconstruction involves one of two autografts (or an allograft--a donation from the morgue). That is, the surgeon either cuts out one third of your patellar tendon to make your new ACL or (in my case) 3-4 different sections of hamstring to weave into a kind of "sausage". Much of the recovery and pain is due to the graft site. I also had no idea that if you suffer the "terrible triad" (MCL, ACL and Meniscus) you are especially unlucky. If it's just ACL you can bear weight within days; if they sew up your meniscus (or both in my case) you have to use crutches and not bear weight for at least 4 weeks to let them heal. Oxygen has a hard time getting to the menisci, which is why it takes so long to heal.

If I'm not mistaken, AD tore a meniscus once and his ACL on a separate occasion. Teddy's injury involves more because it was a dislocation. They haven't revealed whether he also suffered nerve damage, from what I've read.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:But those are shoes I only wear for playing tennis and I only play 2 to 3 times a week! The surface is abrasive and Nadal is my model--i.e. go hard for every single ball. It caught up to me, I guess.
Unfortunately, with a vengeance. :(
Some things I hadn't realized previous to this injury and surgery: ACL reconstruction involves one of two autografts (or an allograft--a donation from the morgue). That is, the surgeon either cuts out one third of your patellar tendon to make your new ACL or (in my case) 3-4 different sections of hamstring to weave into a kind of "sausage". Much of the recovery and pain is due to the graft site. I also had no idea that if you suffer the "terrible triad" (MCL, ACL and Meniscus) you are especially unlucky. If it's just ACL you can bear weight within days; if they sew up your meniscus (or both in my case) you have to use crutches and not bear weight for at least 4 weeks to let them heal. Oxygen has a hard time getting to the menisci, which is why it takes so long to heal.

I think Culpepper might have suffered that "terrible triad". He at least suffered a terrible triad of sorts anyway. He tore his ACL, MCL and PCL but I don't recall if he tore his meniscus. I actually remember reading about the allograft at some point, probably in connection to a football injury.
If I'm not mistaken, AD tore a meniscus once and his ACL on a separate occasion.
Correct. the former was what knocked him out last season and the latter was the injury he suffered in 2011 and came back from in 2012.
Teddy's injury involves more because it was a dislocation. They haven't revealed whether he also suffered nerve damage, from what I've read.
It's been reported that he was able to avoid nerve damage and hopefully that's true because I have to imagine that gives him a much better chance of playing again. I feel bad for all of you and anybody else who suffers such a severe injury!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
I think Culpepper might have suffered that "terrible triad". He at least suffered a terrible triad of sorts anyway. He tore his ACL, MCL and PCL but I don't recall if he tore his meniscus. I actually remember reading about the allograft at some point, probably in connection to a football injury.
I'd forgotten that Culpepper injured his knee that way. I think having the PCL involved makes things worse. Like the ACL, that's a major ligament. The MCL and LCL are not nearly as important from my understanding and they often can heal on their own. I might be wrong there, if anyone is an MD speak up.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

An ACL can also heal on it's own, most athletes elect surgery to speed up recovery time. "Heal" may not be the proper word but I know you can have an ACL tear and elect not to have surgery. Unsure about the other ligaments, I know we have a few people here who are in the sports medicine field.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote:An ACL can also heal on it's own, most athletes elect surgery to speed up recovery time. "Heal" may not be the proper word but I know you can have an ACL tear and elect not to have surgery. Unsure about the other ligaments, I know we have a few people here who are in the sports medicine field.
It is not just a question of speeding up recovery time. If you have a complete rupture of the ACL and you want to return to any sport that requires cutting/ aggressive planting of the foot, you need to have surgery.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Texas Vike wrote: It is not just a question of speeding up recovery time. If you have a complete rupture of the ACL and you want to return to any sport that requires cutting/ aggressive planting of the foot, you need to have surgery.
You mean to say that my unlimited return to gardening after an ACL tear a few months ago doesn't compare to playing twinkle toes in an NFL pocket?

Yeah, okaaayyy. :roll:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PacificNorseWest wrote: You mean to say that my unlimited return to gardening after an ACL tear a few months ago doesn't compare to playing twinkle toes in an NFL pocket?

Yeah, okaaayyy. :roll:

By cutting and planting, I wasn't referring to gardening, if that's what you're asking.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Post by SidestreamFB Pete »

This shouldn't be an issue. But, the media is really going to try to turn it into one. This will come down to how management deals with the situation behind closed doors. That being said, I'm nervous that they will sit on the fence too long; leading to them getting hosed by Bradford's agent or not having a rostered QB in 2018.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:By cutting and planting, I wasn't referring to gardening, if that's what you're asking.

:lol:

Well done.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Anyone else see the NBCSN video today? "If Teddy keeps progressing Vikings may get rid of Bradford.."

Yep, that will help moral.

And then someone asked Sam today how he felt being in the same situation he was in Philly (looking over his shoulder at the guy drafted by the team to play) and he just laughed it off in a way that said "wtf can I do?"
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

RFIP wrote:Anyone else see the NBCSN video today? "If Teddy keeps progressing Vikings may get rid of Bradford.."

Yep, that will help moral.

And then someone asked Sam today how he felt being in the same situation he was in Philly (looking over his shoulder at the guy drafted by the team to play) and he just laughed it off in a way that said "wtf can I do?"
I think it's much ado...honestly.

Sam has to play well either way. If this team meets a majority of it's potential this season with him as QB, I see no reason why there would be any problem on the inside. Winning fixes everything. 'Just win baby'
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Nunin wrote: I think it's much ado...honestly.

Sam has to play well either way. If this team meets a majority of it's potential this season with him as QB, I see no reason why there would be any problem on the inside. Winning fixes everything. 'Just win baby'
If Teddy even "appears" healthy his agent, doing his job, WILL force the Vikings to activate him and not put him on PUP. THAT ends all talk of his deal being "nulled" and the Vikings lose their option of having until next March to pick up his 5th (then 6th) year option so....if that happens the Vikings may need to play Bridgewater sooner rather than later to see if he can play. Even if he's just dressed it will be a MAJOR distraction to this team not to mention divide the players as they will constantly be asked what they think about each guy.

Will not be an atmosphere conducive to winning, period.