Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I agree Bradford has a strong arm. However he has more confident of a pocket presence than Teddy ever will and he can extend plays although not as well as Teddy.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I would argue about pocket presence. We've seen a few times last year where he didn't feel the pressure early enough and was stripped of the ball. Bradford can definitely get the ball out quicker though which I really like.

Doesn't really matter though. Until Teddy is 100% (if ever), Bradford is the Vikings QB. I just think some people forget how effective TB was in 2015. Remember the playoffs? How bad the conditions were? He drove his team to the 9 yard line with seconds left in the game. I think that last drive defines how the team sees Teddy.

For me, it's not about the arm, or how pretty the deep ball is, or the stats. It's about getting the job done when it matters. I think more often than not, Teddy did that. I hope Bradford can do the same.

Bridgewater to Rudolph final drive vs SEA
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:I would argue about pocket presence. We've seen a few times last year where he didn't feel the pressure early enough and was stripped of the ball.

The same thing happened to Bridgewater a few times in 2015, most notably at the end of the Arizona game. It happens to pretty much every QB at times.
Doesn't really matter though. Until Teddy is 100% (if ever), Bradford is the Vikings QB. I just think some people forget how effective TB was in 2015. Remember the playoffs? How bad the conditions were? He drove his team to the 9 yard line with seconds left in the game. I think that last drive defines how the team sees Teddy.
It's interesting how perceptions differ. To me, that game reinforces how ineffective Bridgewater was in 2015. The team struggled on offense most of the day (conditions contributed to that) and never got into the end zone, even though Bridgewater had a receiver open for a TD in a 3rd-and-goal situation (he didn't see it and threw an incompletion to a back who was both covered and short of the goal line). That pass you posted was his only completion on the final drive and it was a 9 yard out that Rudolph turned into a 24 yard gain. Don't get me wrong: Bridgewater was poised in that situation. He showed the kind of calm leadership you want from a QB with a playoff game on the line and between that completion and a pass interference penalty, they got into scoring position. However, it wasn't like he sharply drove the team downfield with impressive, memorbale passes. He completed a simple out route.
For me, it's not about the arm, or how pretty the deep ball is, or the stats. It's about getting the job done when it matters.

It matters all the time.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Mothman wrote:However, it wasn't like he sharply drove the team downfield with impressive, memorbale passes. He completed a simple out route.
As compared to an interception? How many times have we seen a player melt under pressure? You see it as a simple pass. I see it as execution under extreme pressure.

Mothman wrote:It matters all the time.

No it doesn't. Getting your team in FG position on the opening drive isn't the same as getting your team in FG position with 1:42 left behind by 1.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote: As compared to an interception? How many times have we seen a player melt under pressure? You see it as a simple pass. I see it as execution under extreme pressure.
It's both. He executed a routine 9 yard out pass in a high pressure situation. As I said, he showed the kind of calm leadership you want from a QB with a playoff game on the line
No it doesn't. Getting your team in FG position on the opening drive isn't the same as getting your team in FG position with 1:42 left behind by 1.
No, it's not but it still matters. :lol: That's the point. Good QB play isn't about getting the job done in the final 2 minutes of a game. It's about getting the job done, including in the final 2 minutes of a game.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote:No it doesn't. Getting your team in FG position on the opening drive isn't the same as getting your team in FG position with 1:42 left behind by 1.

:shock:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

They really want to create a nice little QB controversy for themselves, don't they?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: They really want to create a nice little QB controversy for themselves, don't they?
*Shrug*

Probably trying to control the narrative. Beat guys would know Teddy is out there and would report on it so why hide it in a video?

Per Tomasson, Rick will address Teddy tomorrow for the first time since the injury. Will be interesting. Can't imagine them announcing he's out for the year after the team posted this. My guess is that it'll be careful optimism with many reassurances Teddy is working hard to rehab but a ways to go.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Go Teddy. Hope he can come back healthy and reclaim the job. We need a winner at the QB position: Teddy is one.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I hope he can play at some point this season. Isn't depth at QB one of the major issues we've all had for a long time? I don't understand how all of a sudden it's a controversy or a team divided, I see more options, which is always a good thing.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I hope he can play at some point this season. Isn't depth at QB one of the major issues we've all had for a long time? I don't understand how all of a sudden it's a controversy or a team divided, I see more options, which is always a good thing.
It probably won't amount to anything because I doubt Bridgewater will be ready to play when the season begins. I just think the Vikes are recklessly fanning flames that might burn them.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: It probably won't amount to anything because i doubt Bridgewater will be ready to play when the season begins. I just think the Vikes recklessly are fanning flames that might burn them.
Correct.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: It probably won't amount to anything because I doubt Bridgewater will be ready to play when the season begins. I just think the Vikes are recklessly fanning flames that might burn them.
By letting him throw at OTAs or comments being made?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: By letting him throw at OTAs or comments being made?
By comments made. Letting him throw is simply a necessary step in his rehabilitation process.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Predictably measured comments from Rick:

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/24/vi ... couraging/
“This entire organization (is) just hoping that eventually he’ll be able to come back on the field, but that’s still the unknown,” general manager Rick Spielman said Wednesday.

Bridgewater, working his way back from a horrific knee injury, was not present for Wednesday’s OTA session because of a rehabilitation appointment with a doctor, Spielman said. But, he added, the quarterback’s progress has been “very encouraging.”

Spielman said Bridgewater, who suffered a torn ACL and dislocated left knee in practice Aug. 30 and missed all of the 2016 season, is not cleared for full practice and there is no timetable for when he will be.

“Part of the rehab process that you had seen (Tuesday) was that he is able to start dropping back and throwing the ball,” Spielman said. “He’s working extremely hard on his rehab, and we’ll continue to monitor his progress as he goes.”
Side note: hope you're feeling better, Jim. It's only OTAs so you have some time yet to get ready for the regular season. Hopefully you'll be 100% by camp.