Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by Mothman »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote:Like I said initially, I think Bradford is the right move. He's never really had a healthy season with a good supporting cast. I was pretty impressed with what he was able to do with such poor blocking last year. The problem is the Vikes's brass apparent infatuation with Teddy. He WAS progressing nicely, but takes that trajectory back to point 'A'. At best.

We should lock down Bradford ASAP, he is talented enough to trade away if a better option presents itself. I mean, we gave up a first for him.
That's a good point. He's talented enough to trade away but his contract would impact their ability to trade him so to some extent, all of this depends on what kind of deal it would actually take to lock him down as well as what other options they explore. I'm not nuts about the situation but I understand why the Vikings might be willing to roll the dice here, wait and see how things look in December or January and prepare themselves to sign Bradford to a new deal in the period between the season's end and the beginning of free agency, if that's what they need to do. They'll have the franchise tag as a fallback option, although it could be expensive and can sometimes lead to bad blood.

It's a difficult situation.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: You're nicer than me. :)

I hope Teddy can come back and be some other team's starter because I just wasn't unimpressed by his actual performance as Vikings QB and I'm frankly tired of watching Vikings QBs who flirt with all-time low team records and lead passing attacks that inevitably end up among the least productive in the league. I think he has a relatively low ceiling as a QB, especially after suffering that injury. I'd rather see the Vikes move on, even if he is healthy. However, I know that's unlikely to happen with a coach and fan base that adore him.

Flame on!
I just disagree with the assumption Teddy wasn't very good after two seasons. Given the league-worst pass-blocking in the infancy of his career I was impressed with the progression. I can't help but think that if you watched Bradford in his first two years (or, heck, maybe a handful of QBs) that you'd have the same thought and discounted them as well! 2nd-year Bradford was NOT the Bradford we saw in 2016. I don't see how Teddy's career arc/improvement couldn't have taken a similar path. This obsession with instant success from the hardest position on the field is mind-blowing. I can't believe you think another rookie/2nd year guy would've performed significantly​ better in the same situation.

I guess you just get two years now to prove your worth, circumstances be damned.

Hurrumph.

P.s. I also realize that Sam has a much better chance of starting in 2018 (and possibly beyond). I'm fine with that if he plays as well or better than he did last year.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Post by SidestreamFB Pete »

dead_poet wrote: I just disagree with the assumption Teddy wasn't very good after two seasons. Given the league-worst pass-blocking in the infancy of his career I was impressed with the progression. I can't help but think that if you watched Bradford in his first two years (or, heck, maybe a handful of QBs) that you'd have the same thought and discounted them as well! 2nd-year Bradford was NOT the Bradford we saw in 2016. I don't see how Teddy's career arc/improvement couldn't have taken a similar path. This obsession with instant success from the hardest position on the field is mind-blowing. I can't believe you think another rookie/2nd year guy would've performed significantly​ better in the same situation.

I guess you just get two years now to prove your worth, circumstances be damned.

Hurrumph.

P.s. I also realize that Sam has a much better chance of starting in 2018 (and possibly beyond). I'm fine with that if he plays as well or better than he did last year.
I agree that Teddy's progress before the injury was great, I was very optimistic about his future going into the 2016 season.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I just disagree with the assumption Teddy wasn't very good after two seasons.
Well, it's an observation, not an assumption. I reached that conclusion based on careful observation of his game, both on coaches film and in person. I'm certainly no expert but it's not just an opinion I arrived at casually.
Given the league-worst pass-blocking in the infancy of his career I was impressed with the progression. I can't help but think that if you watched Bradford in his first two years (or, heck, maybe a handful of QBs) that you'd have the same thought and discounted them as well!
Maybe but I don't really think that's relevant and I did actually see Bradford play in his first 2 seasons (though not nearly as much as I saw Bridgewater). Teddy Bridgewater is hardly the only QB I've seen extensively in his first few seasons of NFL football so it's not as if I have no basis for comparison.
2nd-year Bradford was NOT the Bradford we saw in 2016. I don't see how Teddy's career arc/improvement couldn't have taken a similar path. This obsession with instant success from the hardest position on the field is mind-blowing. I can't believe you think another rookie/2nd year guy would've performed significantly​ better in the same situation.
I don't have an "obsession with instant success" but I found his overall performance underwhelming and I absolutely think there are other rookies/second year players who could have performed better in the same situation. I've never ignored or dismissed the fact that he was facing a learning curve and I've never claimed he couldn't get better but is it really so unreasonable to be unimpressed with a young QB that has his meager production, a QB that led a passing offense that finished near the bottom of the league 2 years in a row? Bridgewater delivered some pretty crummy performances in his 2 seasons, some of them in big games. Many Vikes fans have had a big purple crush on him since he joined the team but it's pretty easy to imagine how easily most of the people here would be dismissing him as an opposing QB worth worrying about if he played for the Bears or Packers.

Regarding his career arc: it could end up similar to Bradford's but frankly, that wouldn't be great because Bradford's career has been pretty underwhelming so far too.
When a player gets two years and a devastating knee dislocation that leads up to the end of his contract, the circumstances change. I just don't see any compelling argument for signing him to a contract extension for anything less than backup QB money and then only if he looks capable of playing at a sufficiently high level. If he sticks around and can compete for and win the starting job, great but as I said, I think he has a low ceiling. Unless he does something on the football field to dramatically change my view, I'd prefer to see the Vikes move on after this season and that doesn't seem unreasonable, although I understand why it's unpopular.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote:I agree that Teddy's progress before the injury was great, I was very optimistic about his future going into the 2016 season.
What was great about it? In what aspect of his game would you say you saw the most progress?
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Mothman wrote: What was great about it? In what aspect of his game would you say you saw the most progress?
Nothing to do with the Alex Smith-like physical attributes haha. But it looked like it slowed down for him. He had control of the offense, as faulty as the O-line was.

The offensive play calling was particularly atrocious that year, we would only throw on third and long and the defense would know exactly what we were doing. But, our defense was strong enough to carry us. I don't have these numbers, but from watching every game I'd imagine Teddy faced the highest number of blitzes per passing down because it was also SOOOO obvious when we were passing.

All that said, he was often able to elude pressure and make plays happen on occasion. The game slowed down for him a lot. We called his number against Denver and Arizona (two of the top defenses that year), and we called it late. He stepped up (yes there was a fumble that lost us the AZ game, but that too was a horrible play call). But in both these games he posted pretty solid numbers, on the road. Yes, I know we lost both of these games, but I'd put that more on Norv than Teddy.

All-in-all he was becoming a very proficient game manager that would not panic and could make plays in some tight spots. He didn't lose us any games, but he kept us in a few and won us a few. Even behind a brutal o-line and a senile OC. The deep ball looked like it was coming along too.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'd be looking to sign Sam right now and let Teddy walk. At best Teddy can play at his rookie level in 2018 for > rookie money and would be a constant injury risk.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote: Nothing to do with the Alex Smith-like physical attributes haha. But it looked like it slowed down for him. He had control of the offense, as faulty as the O-line was.

The offensive play calling was particularly atrocious that year, we would only throw on third and long and the defense would know exactly what we were doing. But, our defense was strong enough to carry us. I don't have these numbers, but from watching every game I'd imagine Teddy faced the highest number of blitzes per passing down because it was also SOOOO obvious when we were passing.

All that said, he was often able to elude pressure and make plays happen on occasion. The game slowed down for him a lot. We called his number against Denver and Arizona (two of the top defenses that year), and we called it late. He stepped up (yes there was a fumble that lost us the AZ game, but that too was a horrible play call). But in both these games he posted pretty solid numbers, on the road. Yes, I know we lost both of these games, but I'd put that more on Norv than Teddy.

All-in-all he was becoming a very proficient game manager that would not panic and could make plays in some tight spots. He didn't lose us any games, but he kept us in a few and won us a few. Even behind a brutal o-line and a senile OC. The deep ball looked like it was coming along too.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'd be looking to sign Sam right now and let Teddy walk. At best Teddy can play at his rookie level in 2018 for > rookie money and would be a constant injury risk.
I understand what you're saying and I appreciate the feedback.

I'm always curious what others see in TB's game because (as you can tell) I'm just not very impressed with it.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Alex Smith 2.0
But, now: Alex Smith 2.0 that has a dicey leg and hasn't played football in a long time.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote:Alex Smith 2.0
But, now: Alex Smith 2.0 that has a dicey leg and hasn't played football in a long time.
... and potentially without the mobility that's important to Smith's game. :(
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Mothman wrote: ... and potentially without the mobility that's important to Smith's game. :(
Need to plant legs hard and then use them to generate throw power too. :|
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the link. Bridgewater certainly seems like a person with great character.

I can't help wondering what Sam Bradford thinks when he continually hears about Mike Zimmer's love for Teddy Bridgewater.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Thanks for the link. Bridgewater certainly seems like a person with great character.

I can't help wondering what Sam Bradford thinks when he continually hears about Mike Zimmer's love for Teddy Bridgewater.

I would be livid. Thankfully Bradford isn't a diva asking to be released or somthing. This whole situation just angers me.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I would be livid. Thankfully Bradford isn't a diva asking to be released or somthing. This whole situation just angers me.
We'll, he did asked to be traded when Philly drafted Wentz.

I don't think Bradford is bothered though. He controls his destiny. Play well and he can pick which city he wants to play in.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Thanks for the link. Bridgewater certainly seems like a person with great character.

Hopefully he's mature about it and understands the position the coach is in. And, now knowing Teddy a little, probably gets it to some degree. Maybe he thinks, "Hey, if the situation was reversed, I'd probably want my coach talking like that about me, too."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly