let's talk about Hunter

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: let's talk about Hunter

Post by Mothman »

autobon7 wrote:But.....numbers don't lie. Regardless of who lines up across from anyone he has produced. If in fact he is 5th all-time in sacks and 3rd among DEs I believe he for sure belongs in the ROH. Seems like he has a bunch of strips as well.
Keep in mind, he's 5th all time in sacks for the Vikinsg since the NFL started officially tracking that stat in 1982. Page, Eller and Marshall all had significantly more.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Post by SidestreamFB Pete »

I agree with Demi. Robison is a smart, high-motor player. But, he's always been part of a defensive line where he is the 2nd or 3rd best pass-rushing option. Even when Allen was around, we had Everson coming in to help in the pass rush. Now Everson gets all the attention.

I think Robison is great at taking what is given to him, but he cannot create game-breaking plays the same way Hunter or Everson can.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote:I agree with Demi. Robison is a smart, high-motor player. But, he's always been part of a defensive line where he is the 2nd or 3rd best pass-rushing option. Even when Allen was around, we had Everson coming in to help in the pass rush. Now Everson gets all the attention.

I think Robison is great at taking what is given to him, but he cannot create game-breaking plays the same way Hunter or Everson can.
I seem to remember game changing strip sacks against Dallas, Chicago, and GB.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Post by SidestreamFB Pete »

autobon7 wrote: I seem to remember game changing strip sacks against Dallas, Chicago, and GB.
I'm not saying he's a bad player. I think he is a very nice fit and hard working player! Do you think he's better than Everson and Hunter?
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote: I'm not saying he's a bad player. I think he is a very nice fit and hard working player! Do you think he's better than Everson and Hunter?
I don't think he is better than either but that was not the question. The question is whether or not he should be considered for the ROH when the time comes.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

What exactly is the criteria for ROH? Is it entirely subjective?
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Gosh, this all reminds me of how fun it was having J Allen on the team! I think he was the most entertaining player on the field for the Vikes during the last 6-7 years. Too bad we cant clone him.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I have never cared for Brian Robison. Slow imo

He does make some splashy plays but I will be honest
I think he cares far more about Fishing than football
and given some doubts already about his abilities
I will take Hunter and maybe one or two guys for
his spot.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Danielle has earned the right to start. It would be extremely disappointing to not him see him in on a majority of the snaps this year. At this stage in his career, Brain is better coming off the bench than being a volume-snap guy.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: He's been a damn fine DE for most of his career. Ring of Honor maybe. If I'm not mistaken, he's tied for 5th all-time in sacks in Vikings history, third among Vikings' DEs. Nothing to sneeze at. At times I think he was pretty underrated, with more speed and agility than some may have realized. His combine numbers are no joke.
Totally agree with both of you.

Robison had a pretty darned good year last year, with 7.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles.

I love Hunter. I think he's one of the best draft picks the Vikings have made in the past 5 years. But holy cow, Brian Robison has been a fine defensive lineman for a long time. I'm glad we have both.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Demi wrote:Having Jared Allen across from him helped.
I look at it as that actually hurt him since Allen took his job. He had 14 sacks in his first 4 years despite only starting 7 games! If you take his average sacks/year and extrapolate that out (conservatively), had he started his first four years he would have around 72 sacks entering this year.
Considering some of the defensive players this team has had, I wouldn't put him in the ring of honor. I wouldn't even say he's the best defensive lineman on the Vikings in any year he's played.
That's like saying that Cris Carter shouldn't be in the Ring of Honor because Moss was on the team. I'm not saying he's a lock for it, but I think there's a case to be made.
His production has never seemed to be to be due to his ability IMO.
Please. If you don't have the ability, you're not going to produce. It's not like they leave him free on plays because they're chipping Allen or Griffen. He's also been one of the most consistent in terms of pressures as well.
but if you put Hunter, or Griffen in that position for that amount of time? They both out produce him in term of stats, and on the field impact.
Didn't Griffen have 8 sacks last season compared to Robison's 7.5? I guess, technically, you're right. :)
He's a solid player who's had above average talent around him, and benefited from it. But I would have preferred to see Griffen or Hunter getting those snaps.
Griffen is getting those snaps?

I'm sure Hunter's snaps will increase at Robison's expense this year, and probably for the better given the points in their respective careers. But Robison has been a heck of a productive player for the Purple.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Totally agree with both of you.

Robison had a pretty darned good year last year, with 7.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles.

I love Hunter. I think he's one of the best draft picks the Vikings have made in the past 5 years. But holy cow, Brian Robison has been a fine defensive lineman for a long time. I'm glad we have both.
I've never been a fan of BRob but he has been more than serviceable for the purple. I am excited about the expectations for Hunter.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Yeah, I fully expect Hunter to take another step this season and given how far he's come, it's probably that one step that officially puts him on the map, for those who don't know.

I'm less concerned with the starter thing, because as we talked about last season and as was mentioned in this thread, it's more about the rotation and overall snaps. That can be dictated by the team you play too, as well and Robison does pretty well against the run, so theoretically, if he's in on 1st down and as the presumptive starter then that's fine. I do think that Hunter's talent is becoming undeniable and at some point, you're gonna want to get this guy on the field as much as possible. It is a pass-heavy league these days, of course.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Top 15 Viking sack leaders since 1994. Just like to point out that of the top 15 sack leader on the Vikings since 1994, 3 are still on the tea.

Code: Select all

Jared Allen	     87.5
John Randle	     83.5
Kevin Williams	  63.5
Brian Robison	   57
Everson Griffen	 50
Lance Johnstone	 42
Ray Edwards	     31
Ed McDaniel	     21.5
Derrick Alexander   20
E.J. Henderson	   19
Chad Greenway	    19
Fernando Smith	 18.5
Duane Clemons	  18.5
Chris Hovan	      18
Danielle Hunter	  18
Also, the QB they sacked the most. Aaron Rodgers. I would have thought Favre. But nope. Rodgers 56, Favre 49.

http://pfref.com/tiny/3Hk7T
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Kevin Williams...what a stud that guy was.