OT may be getting shorter

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

OT may be getting shorter

Post by Dames »

It sounds lke the NFL owners may be shortening the OT from 15 to 10 minutes. Unless they change more OT rules, I agree with the article that it's going to create more ties. I hate that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2710 ... nd-ir-rule
Damian
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: OT may be getting shorter

Post by Cliff »

Related but unrelated; I wonder how the NFL and advertisers/stations handle overtime. I imagine the NFL has to compensate them if they eat into another show's time or eat up advertising time. I wonder if that compensation factors into this decision.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Also; I don't see it creating that many more ties. I think it'll just make teams play with a little more urgency in the OT period more quickly. I wonder how many overtime games went over ten minutes last year.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote:Also; I don't see it creating that many more ties. I think it'll just make teams play with a little more urgency in the OT period more quickly. I wonder how many overtime games went over ten minutes last year.
I think quite a few more than you think. It seems like many of them go down to the wire more often than not. I would rather see them eliminate ties somehow, like maybe a FG kicking contest or something...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I think quite a few more than you think. It seems like many of them go down to the wire more often than not. I would rather see them eliminate ties somehow, like maybe a FG kicking contest or something...
Glutton for punishment I see :twisted:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I think quite a few more than you think. It seems like many of them go down to the wire more often than not. I would rather see them eliminate ties somehow, like maybe a FG kicking contest or something...
If they go down to the wire anyway what's the difference if the wire is closer?