Michael Floyd in the 'Cards' for the Vikings?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Michael Floyd in the 'Cards' for the Vikings?

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:At one year and $1.5 million, what's not to like about this signing?

Michael Floyd is big (6-3) and fast (4.4). He's still young. He's got talent -- 12th overall pick in 2012. He's had success, with a 1,000-yard season and an average of about 50 catches and 5 TDs per season. And he doesn't have to be the No. 1 receiver in Minnesota.

Has he had off-field problems? Yes, he has. But if the Vikings would have eliminated all but "perfect citizens," they would have missed the boat on a couple receivers named Carter and Moss. Floyd has acknowledged his problems and says he's taking action to correct them.

At a $1.5 million base salary, it's not a huge risk, especially given his upside. And if he actually earns the extra $4.5 million in performance-based incentives that are in his contract, then he's a steal. To me, these are the kinds of contracts we should be looking for in free agency -- low-risk deals to guys who are still young, have upside, and might benefit from a change in scenery.
:appl:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm also reminded of the Zimmer quote "I like signing other team's first round picks".
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Then Zimmer should love Bradford!
I'm trying to think of the last FA pickup on offense that has done anything at all for this team. Hutchison?
Am I forgetting someone?
I'd love to see this guy become Cris Carter 2.0
My dark side says they'll release Wright to keep Floyd...then Wright will get picked up by NE or GB and have a monster year, while CP scores 10tds for Oakland.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Nunin wrote:Then Zimmer should love Bradford!
I'm trying to think of the last FA pickup on offense that has done anything at all for this team. Hutchison?
Am I forgetting someone?
My dark side says they'll release Wright to keep Floyd...then Wright will get picked up by NE or GB and have a monster year, while CP scores 10tds for Oakland.
Wright does seem like the odd man out depending upon how pre-season goes. Shame as I think he is a gamer and can produce as a solid 3rd WR and possibly a #2 but he fell out of favor it seems. If the above scenario happens with CP going crazy and Wright released (someone will pick him up) then producing.....some serious questions need to be asked.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Some serious questions are already being asked...just by people who can't do crap about the situation ;)
It's only May. Wright is still on the team. Things can turn out in a multitude of ways +/-.
But agree, there are some interesting possibilites in the incubator.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

[quote="Nunin"]Then Zimmer should love Bradford!
I'm trying to think of the last FA pickup on offense that has done anything at all for this team. Hutchison?[quote]

Well, there's Brett Favre. He was signed after Hutchinson and certainly made a positive difference in 2009 (not so much in 2010).

I guess it depends on what you mean by "has done anything at all".

Greg Jennings was overpaid but he was the team's leading receiver during his 2 years in Minnesota.

Boone started all last year, although I didn't think he had a particularly good year.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Nunin wrote:Then Zimmer should love Bradford!
Am I forgetting someone?
How about Ryan Longwell? Charles Johnson had those few phantom games where he played well, then he fell off the face of the earth.
Last edited by 720pete on Thu May 11, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

At first I really didn't want Floyd but after sleeping on it I think that he will fit right in and will probably be #1 on the depth chart. Makes you wonder who is odd man out. I am not happy that the Vikings are signing a WR seeing what has been invested in the past decade. How can these guys collect a check for their draft acumen? Oh well, I guess they are finding a few guys. Thanks for that Rick and Lance.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I meant a guy who actually stuck and filled the hole rather than be a stopgap. Like Jared Allen, Pat williams, Winfield, Linval Joseph, Terrence Newman etc.
Longwell was a nice pickup.
Favre and Jennings were both good but short lived. Funny how they're all packers...or is it?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Cliff wrote: :appl:
Yeah that pretty much sums it up. If he pans out, Vikings get good to great production on the cheap. If he doesn't pan out, then they do not really lose a thing. Stupid would have been giving him guaranteed money on a multi-year deal.

Let's face it, the odds are against Floyd doing anything. He got cut by AZ who has the tools to make him shine. Then he went to NE, who also had the tools to make him shine and now for here he is groveling for a 1 year deal. Odds are he'll be on the open market next year. If not great for us, but we should not be in denial about who he and why he is only getting $1.5MM.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote:I meant a guy who actually stuck and filled the hole rather than be a stopgap. Like Jared Allen, Pat williams, Winfield, Linval Joseph, Terrence Newman etc.
Longwell was a nice pickup.
Favre and Jennings were both good but short lived. Funny how they're all packers...or is it?
It's not.
:v):
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

YikesVikes wrote:Floyd is a good pickup. Reliable 900 yards WR. I just dont know what we are doing at the WR position though. Expect a few cuts.
1. Diggs
2. Adam T.
3. Floyd
4. Treadwell
5. Wright
6. MoBo
7. Rookie 1
8. Rookie 2
9. Isaac F.

I know its the offseason but it looks like Wright is gling to be gone and MoBo isnt going to make the team. That still leaves 7. You have to assume one of the rookies return kicks.

I would like to see us sign another tackle to be honest. Clady on a competition deal would be ideal. Kick Remmers in artguard and and move our LT to RT.
Treadwell might be gone, too! If that kid doesn't learn how to play NFL ball in camp, why keep him? Cut our losses.

As for Kick Returns, why not #33, Dalvin Cook? He's fast, elusive and can break tackles.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

soflavike wrote: Treadwell might be gone, too! If that kid doesn't learn how to play NFL ball in camp, why keep him? Cut our losses.

As for Kick Returns, why not #33, Dalvin Cook? He's fast, elusive and can break tackles.
I don't think they would risk possible injury for Cook in regards to KR duty. I think one of the rookie WRs will get that title.
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote: Good hustle MikethePurple. There were definitely safer FA's out there, but we'll have to wait on the contract details. If we get him on a nice one-year prove-it deal, he has the first-round pedigree (something Zimmer loves... maybe too much) to be a solid contributor if he gets his head in the game. He isn't a chronic issue off the field or anything, criticisms of his character have been a little overblown.

The main concern is in looking at why he hasn't developed at all in his young career. Hopefully he takes this opportunity to turn his career around.
He's still in the league after five years, so there's that. Hopefully it's also made him see the NFL isn't a forever thing. That can mature some people real fast.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

He's still in the league after five years, so there's that. Hopefully it's also made him see the NFL isn't a forever thing. That can mature some people real fast.
He's in the league because we signed him. Is there that?...Oh and he's local. Minnesota teams positively LOVE that.

I think he's as good a player as any we have at the position as far as skill, likely better. But the team has signed this type of player before, and repeatedly...and how often has it worked out? I feel it's a good signing because he's better IMO than the other players at the position when it comes to talent. But will the coaches play him if he Allen Iversons it during the week? Is he going to go drink a couple liters of schnapps and wrap his car around a tree some day? End up in the paper for something other than his production?

Anyone remember the era of accountability or whatever nonsense we were fed early in Zygi's takeover of the team? (I can't remember that pamphlet, paper, or whatever it was they had copied and handed out) It's clear now more than ever that it was just a line of bull. Which is fine, if the team is winning. But we keep signing/drafting these players and the production doesn't seem to reflect the gamble. Maybe this time it will work out? :confused: