Michael Floyd in the 'Cards' for the Vikings?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Michael Floyd in the 'Cards' for the Vikings?

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote: This what we should have been hearing last year.
Michael Floyd, no thanks.

It's also the sort of thing we repeatedly heard Zimmer say about Patterson during the offseason(s) and then when the actual games rolled around, they'd keep him on the bench most of the time. After 3 years, I'm inclined to pay less attention to what Zimmer says about this sort of thing and more to what he does. Hopefully, Treadwell will be impressive from now through December and into the postseason. He'd better be "a lot better player than he was last season" because last season he gave the Vikes zilch. #notbitterjustdisappointed
Or any head coach/GM. We heard the same damn thing about Williamson. :wallbang:

Floyd was never the #1 WR on that team. And still had a better season than any WR on this roster. Do you want to give credit to the QBs and OLs they've had, the others receivers? Or claim he's older than every WR on this roster? Fine. But please don't pretend he's a scrub we shouldn't have any interest in. Every receiver currently on this roster will likely be labeled the same in a few years...
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

If the deal is an incentive laden, prove it deal they can dump quickly I think it would be worth bringing him to camp.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

Post by SidestreamFB Pete »

I mentioned this over in the general FA Discussion. But, I'd much rather grab Boldin for a year.
-should be functional in the red-zone.
-high character guy that can show all the rookies what it takes to be a long-time pro.
-has some insight on the Lions.
-very competitive.

Whereas Floyd:
-chronic underachiever, even under the tutelage of Fitzgerald.
-went from being high-ish draft pick to an unwanted free agent.
-he seems like an OK human, but he's made some pretty bad off the field choices.
-he would only create an obstacle for Treadwell to get some game reps.

On the other hand, he has first-round talent and would likely be playing on a one-year 'prove it' deal. That might be able to light a fire under him.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote:I mentioned this over in the general FA Discussion. But, I'd much rather grab Boldin for a year.
-should be functional in the red-zone.
-high character guy that can show all the rookies what it takes to be a long-time pro.
-has some insight on the Lions.
-very competitive.

Whereas Floyd:
-chronic underachiever, even under the tutelage of Fitzgerald.
-went from being high-ish draft pick to an unwanted free agent.
-he seems like an OK human, but he's made some pretty bad off the field choices.
-he would only create an obstacle for Treadwell to get some game reps.

On the other hand, he has first-round talent and would likely be playing on a one-year 'prove it' deal. That might be able to light a fire under him.
Color me in for Boldin > Floyd too. MUCH better move.
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

Bradford is in the habit of bringing his receivers to Oklahoma for a week in the summer to workout on pass routes at the OU facilities. I think this could help Treadwell out a lot with developing a rapport with Sam in route running. Would love to see him break out this year...sometimes the development from year one to two can be phenomenol.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

5thWave wrote:Bradford is in the habit of bringing his receivers to Oklahoma for a week in the summer to workout on pass routes at the OU facilities. I think this could help Treadwell out a lot with developing a rapport with Sam in route running. Would love to see him break out this year...sometimes the development from year one to two can be phenomenol.
Would love to see that myself. Where abouts in MO are you located? I'm in Alton, IL & work in Maryland Heights, MO
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

5thWave wrote:Bradford is in the habit of bringing his receivers to Oklahoma for a week in the summer to workout on pass routes at the OU facilities. I think this could help Treadwell out a lot with developing a rapport with Sam in route running. Would love to see him break out this year...sometimes the development from year one to two can be phenomenol.
Back to the Boldin point; Treadwell projects very similar to a young Boldin. Big bodies with a large catch radius, but not burners. Boldin would he perfect to show him the subtleties of the position and how to properly study the opposition.

We should really get Sam on a contract now. A full off season is going to drastically increase his comfort and production. We could see his price tag go up $5/$6 million per year if he has a really good season.
Not easy being a Vikes fan and staying an "unbiased" creator of Sidestream Football. This is my therapy. SKOL.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote: Back to the Boldin point; Treadwell projects very similar to a young Boldin. Big bodies with a large catch radius, but not burners. Boldin would he perfect to show him the subtleties of the position and how to properly study the opposition.

We should really get Sam on a contract now. A full off season is going to drastically increase his comfort and production. We could see his price tag go up $5/$6 million per year if he has a really good season.
I agree we should wrap up SB sooner than later. Only concern would be him staying healthy.....but as we found out with TB....things can happen to anyone. Just don't want to be in the market for a QB after this season.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

autobon7 wrote: I agree we should wrap up SB sooner than later. Only concern would be him staying healthy.....but as we found out with TB....things can happen to anyone. Just don't want to be in the market for a QB after this season.
The front office is normally very preemptive in locking up players early, before their value rises too much. The difference is they have some child-like hope in Teddy coming back 100% after being out of football for two years. They need to bite the bullet on a Bradford contract now and IF, by some miracle, Teddy is functional they can always trade Bradford if he is on a reasonable contract. There's never a shortage of QB hungry teams.

Their really rolling the dice on next off season for no reason.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm still a little annoyed we didn't go harder after Marshall when he was released. This team could have used a 50 catch 700 yard receiver and that was a down year for him. He'll retire in a year or two but he brings the production and experience the receiver corps could have used. Boldin could fill a similar void.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

S197 wrote:I'm still a little annoyed we didn't go harder after Marshall when he was released. This team could have used a 50 catch 700 yard receiver and that was a down year for him. He'll retire in a year or two but he brings the production and experience the receiver corps could have used. Boldin could fill a similar void.
Marshall would have been great, tough pull though. He wanted to be near the broadcasting studio for his TV gig.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Looks like the Vikes signed Floyd. Hopefully he can turn it around on and off the field.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ael-floyd/
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

MikethePurple wrote:Looks like the Vikes signed Floyd. Hopefully he can turn it around on and off the field.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ael-floyd/
I really was not in favor of the Viks pursuing Floyd but now that he is here I gotta hope for the best. Game on....
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

SidestreamFB Pete wrote: Marshall would have been great, tough pull though. He wanted to be near the broadcasting studio for his TV gig.
Never thought about that, makes more sense now why he signed with the other NY team.
SidestreamFB Pete
Backup

autobon7 wrote: I really was not in favor of the Viks pursuing Floyd but now that he is here I gotta hope for the best. Game on....
Good hustle MikethePurple. There were definitely safer FA's out there, but we'll have to wait on the contract details. If we get him on a nice one-year prove-it deal, he has the first-round pedigree (something Zimmer loves... maybe too much) to be a solid contributor if he gets his head in the game. He isn't a chronic issue off the field or anything, criticisms of his character have been a little overblown.

The main concern is in looking at why he hasn't developed at all in his young career. Hopefully he takes this opportunity to turn his career around.