View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 let's talk about Hunter 
All Pro Elite Player

Post let's talk about Hunter
I think this guy is a homerun waiting to happen. Does anyone think that Hunter will take over the starting job for BRob this year? One recent pick that I absolutely approve of. He is going to be a beast. :rock:

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Sat May 06, 2017 3:09 pm
Defensive Tackle

Post Re: let's talk about Hunter
CbusVikesFan wrote:
I think this guy is a homerun waiting to happen. Does anyone think that Hunter will take over the starting job for BRob this year? One recent pick that I absolutely approve of. He is going to be a beast. :rock:

He certainly has that potential. If he does take over as the starter, it will be interesting to see how he handles the extra snaps. I'd love it if he developed into a fierce edge rusher that could also play starter's minutes. He'll be one of the players to really watch this year.

Sat May 06, 2017 4:51 pm
Commissioner

His snaps will increase but I don't know if he'll be "starter." Zimmer uses a nice rotation and he should be on the field plenty.

Sat May 06, 2017 5:35 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:
His snaps will increase but I don't know if he'll be "starter." Zimmer uses a nice rotation and he should be on the field plenty.

Starter doesn't mean much in Zimmer"s system. It just meant they are on the field for rather first play.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Sat May 06, 2017 6:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player

The ceiling is the floor for this kid. I hope that he can play all downs eventually.

Sun May 07, 2017 11:44 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Code:
Player   Def Snaps   Def Snap Pct
97-E.Griffen   888   85.80%
96-B.Robison   837   80.90%
98-L.Joseph   721   69.70%
93-S.Stephen   550   53.10%
99-D.Hunter   598   57.80%
92-Tom.Johnson   475   45.90%
94-J.Trattou   10   1.00%
73-S.Floyd   25   2.40%
90-T.Johnson   23   2.20%
91-S.Weatherly   1   0.10%

Mon May 08, 2017 8:05 pm
Commissioner

Raptorman wrote:
Code:
Player   Def Snaps   Def Snap Pct
97-E.Griffen   888   85.80%
96-B.Robison   837   80.90%
98-L.Joseph   721   69.70%
93-S.Stephen   550   53.10%
99-D.Hunter   598   57.80%
92-Tom.Johnson   475   45.90%
94-J.Trattou   10   1.00%
73-S.Floyd   25   2.40%
90-T.Johnson   23   2.20%
91-S.Weatherly   1   0.10%

Which is why I thought it was ridiculous Robison was the "starter" going into last season. Get the best player on the field. Hunter had significantly more tackles, tackle assists, and sacks than Robison. Despite Robison "starting" 16 games. And Hunter "starting" 0. It was clear his rookie year that Hunter was a better player than Robison, even with Robison going into his tenth season. But he was the veteran who's been there, seen that.

This is the type of old school approach that costs teams play to play, week to week, season to season. While teams like the Patriots trade veteran offensive lineman for backup tight ends..take flak, but keep winning. :confused:

Tue May 09, 2017 6:51 pm
Backup

I tend to agree that Hunter should get the starting spot, but still have a even snap count with Robison. Robison is still functional against the run and bringing in a fresh Hunter in clutch situations is has proven to be very effective.

Giving him 100-120 more snaps to make some splash plays shouldn't effect his game too much though.

Tue May 09, 2017 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Fenrir

I think that number is skewed a little since Hunter solely plays DE while Robison slides in to tackle on passing downs. In those situations, both of them are likely on the field so it ups Robison's snap count.

But it's only a matter of time before Hunter takes over as starter.

Tue May 09, 2017 8:35 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I'm on the Hunter bandwagon...but Robison has been no slouch in Zimmer's defense, in fact he's been quite good IMO.

Tue May 09, 2017 9:05 pm
Commissioner

Nunin wrote:
I'm on the Hunter bandwagon...but Robison has been no slouch in Zimmer's defense, in fact he's been quite good IMO.

He's been a damn fine DE for most of his career. Ring of Honor maybe. If I'm not mistaken, he's tied for 5th all-time in sacks in Vikings history, third among Vikings' DEs. Nothing to sneeze at. At times I think he was pretty underrated, with more speed and agility than some may have realized. His combine numbers are no joke.

Tue May 09, 2017 9:26 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:
Nunin wrote:

He's been a damn fine DE for most of his career. Ring of Honor maybe. If I'm not mistaken, he's tied for 5th all-time in sacks in Vikings history, third among Vikings' DEs. Nothing to sneeze at. At times I think he was pretty underrated, with more speed and agility than some may have realized. His combine numbers are no joke.

I have liked him since he was drafted. I am glad it seems like he will be retiring in Purple.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tue May 09, 2017 10:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I've always liked Robison too, and feel he has always given 110%. A true PPE at heart. I just thought he was beginning to fade a little during Fraizer's last year as coach...but then Zimmer shows up and BRob seems to have found another gear. Most likely this scheme just fits his strengths.
Having said all that..., Hunter could follow up with just as prolific a career. It's a great situation, given the way Zimmer rotates his linemen.
It's one of the best DLines the Vikes have had IMO....and, obviously, they've had some good ones.
If they can adequately sort out the situation around Floyd before the season starts it should really be a fine year for that unit.

Tue May 09, 2017 10:50 pm
Commissioner

dead_poet wrote:
Nunin wrote:

Having Jared Allen across from him helped. Considering some of the defensive players this team has had, I wouldn't put him in the ring of honor. I wouldn't even say he's the best defensive lineman on the Vikings in any year he's played.

His production has never seemed to be to be due to his ability IMO. But based more on the players and system around him. He's been a solid productive player for quite some time, but if you put Hunter, or Griffen in that position for that amount of time? They both out produce him in term of stats, and on the field impact. He's a solid player who's had above average talent around him, and benefited from it. But I would have preferred to see Griffen or Hunter getting those snaps.

Wed May 10, 2017 12:02 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Demi wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Nunin wrote:

Having Jared Allen across from him helped. Considering some of the defensive players this team has had, I wouldn't put him in the ring of honor. I wouldn't even say he's the best defensive lineman on the Vikings in any year he's played.

His production has never seemed to be to be due to his ability IMO. But based more on the players and system around him. He's been a solid productive player for quite some time, but if you put Hunter, or Griffen in that position for that amount of time? They both out produce him in term of stats, and on the field impact. He's a solid player who's had above average talent around him, and benefited from it. But I would have preferred to see Griffen or Hunter getting those snaps.

But.....numbers don't lie. Regardless of who lines up across from anyone he has produced. If in fact he is 5th all-time in sacks and 3rd among DEs I believe he for sure belongs in the ROH. Seems like he has a bunch of strips as well.

Wed May 10, 2017 8:23 am
Defensive Tackle

autobon7 wrote:
But.....numbers don't lie. Regardless of who lines up across from anyone he has produced. If in fact he is 5th all-time in sacks and 3rd among DEs I believe he for sure belongs in the ROH. Seems like he has a bunch of strips as well.

Keep in mind, he's 5th all time in sacks for the Vikinsg since the NFL started officially tracking that stat in 1982. Page, Eller and Marshall all had significantly more.

Wed May 10, 2017 8:32 am
Backup

I agree with Demi. Robison is a smart, high-motor player. But, he's always been part of a defensive line where he is the 2nd or 3rd best pass-rushing option. Even when Allen was around, we had Everson coming in to help in the pass rush. Now Everson gets all the attention.

I think Robison is great at taking what is given to him, but he cannot create game-breaking plays the same way Hunter or Everson can.

Wed May 10, 2017 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Elite Player

SidestreamFB Pete wrote:
I agree with Demi. Robison is a smart, high-motor player. But, he's always been part of a defensive line where he is the 2nd or 3rd best pass-rushing option. Even when Allen was around, we had Everson coming in to help in the pass rush. Now Everson gets all the attention.

I think Robison is great at taking what is given to him, but he cannot create game-breaking plays the same way Hunter or Everson can.

I seem to remember game changing strip sacks against Dallas, Chicago, and GB.

Wed May 10, 2017 11:36 am
Backup

autobon7 wrote:
SidestreamFB Pete wrote:

I'm not saying he's a bad player. I think he is a very nice fit and hard working player! Do you think he's better than Everson and Hunter?

Wed May 10, 2017 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Elite Player

SidestreamFB Pete wrote:
autobon7 wrote:
SidestreamFB Pete wrote:

I'm not saying he's a bad player. I think he is a very nice fit and hard working player! Do you think he's better than Everson and Hunter?

I don't think he is better than either but that was not the question. The question is whether or not he should be considered for the ROH when the time comes.

Wed May 10, 2017 12:21 pm
Fenrir

What exactly is the criteria for ROH? Is it entirely subjective?

Wed May 10, 2017 2:36 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Gosh, this all reminds me of how fun it was having J Allen on the team! I think he was the most entertaining player on the field for the Vikes during the last 6-7 years. Too bad we cant clone him.

Wed May 10, 2017 2:38 pm
Strong Safety

I have never cared for Brian Robison. Slow imo

He does make some splashy plays but I will be honest
I think he cares far more about Fishing than football
and given some doubts already about his abilities
I will take Hunter and maybe one or two guys for
his spot.

Wed May 10, 2017 7:17 pm
Hall of Famer

Danielle has earned the right to start. It would be extremely disappointing to not him see him in on a majority of the snaps this year. At this stage in his career, Brain is better coming off the bench than being a volume-snap guy.

Wed May 10, 2017 7:26 pm
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:
Nunin wrote:

Totally agree with both of you.

Robison had a pretty darned good year last year, with 7.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles.

I love Hunter. I think he's one of the best draft picks the Vikings have made in the past 5 years. But holy cow, Brian Robison has been a fine defensive lineman for a long time. I'm glad we have both.

Wed May 10, 2017 8:33 pm
Commissioner

Demi wrote:
Having Jared Allen across from him helped.

I look at it as that actually hurt him since Allen took his job. He had 14 sacks in his first 4 years despite only starting 7 games! If you take his average sacks/year and extrapolate that out (conservatively), had he started his first four years he would have around 72 sacks entering this year.

Quote:
Considering some of the defensive players this team has had, I wouldn't put him in the ring of honor. I wouldn't even say he's the best defensive lineman on the Vikings in any year he's played.

That's like saying that Cris Carter shouldn't be in the Ring of Honor because Moss was on the team. I'm not saying he's a lock for it, but I think there's a case to be made.

Quote:
His production has never seemed to be to be due to his ability IMO.

Please. If you don't have the ability, you're not going to produce. It's not like they leave him free on plays because they're chipping Allen or Griffen. He's also been one of the most consistent in terms of pressures as well.

Quote:
but if you put Hunter, or Griffen in that position for that amount of time? They both out produce him in term of stats, and on the field impact.

Didn't Griffen have 8 sacks last season compared to Robison's 7.5? I guess, technically, you're right. :)

Quote:
He's a solid player who's had above average talent around him, and benefited from it. But I would have preferred to see Griffen or Hunter getting those snaps.

Griffen is getting those snaps?

I'm sure Hunter's snaps will increase at Robison's expense this year, and probably for the better given the points in their respective careers. But Robison has been a heck of a productive player for the Purple.

Wed May 10, 2017 9:30 pm
All Pro Elite Player

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Nunin wrote:

Totally agree with both of you.

Robison had a pretty darned good year last year, with 7.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles.

I love Hunter. I think he's one of the best draft picks the Vikings have made in the past 5 years. But holy cow, Brian Robison has been a fine defensive lineman for a long time. I'm glad we have both.

I've never been a fan of BRob but he has been more than serviceable for the purple. I am excited about the expectations for Hunter.

Thu May 11, 2017 8:53 am
Career Elite Player

Yeah, I fully expect Hunter to take another step this season and given how far he's come, it's probably that one step that officially puts him on the map, for those who don't know.

I'm less concerned with the starter thing, because as we talked about last season and as was mentioned in this thread, it's more about the rotation and overall snaps. That can be dictated by the team you play too, as well and Robison does pretty well against the run, so theoretically, if he's in on 1st down and as the presumptive starter then that's fine. I do think that Hunter's talent is becoming undeniable and at some point, you're gonna want to get this guy on the field as much as possible. It is a pass-heavy league these days, of course.

Sun May 14, 2017 6:07 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Top 15 Viking sack leaders since 1994. Just like to point out that of the top 15 sack leader on the Vikings since 1994, 3 are still on the tea.
Code:
Jared Allen        87.5
John Randle        83.5
Kevin Williams     63.5
Brian Robison      57
Everson Griffen    50
Lance Johnstone    42
Ray Edwards        31
Ed McDaniel        21.5
Derrick Alexander   20
E.J. Henderson      19
Chad Greenway       19
Fernando Smith    18.5
Duane Clemons     18.5
Chris Hovan         18
Danielle Hunter     18

Also, the QB they sacked the most. Aaron Rodgers. I would have thought Favre. But nope. Rodgers 56, Favre 49.

http://pfref.com/tiny/3Hk7T

Wed May 17, 2017 12:41 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Kevin Williams...what a stud that guy was.

Wed May 17, 2017 1:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next