Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

5thWave
Backup
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:31 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by 5thWave » Tue May 02, 2017 10:49 am

I think Premise #2 is blown out of the water by the nature of TB's injury, right?
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37409
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by Mothman » Tue May 02, 2017 10:57 am

5thWave wrote:I think Premise #2 is blown out of the water by the nature of TB's injury, right?
Yes, that's likely.
0 x

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3510
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by mansquatch » Tue May 02, 2017 11:05 am

5thWave wrote:I think Premise #2 is blown out of the water by the nature of TB's injury, right?
It's certainly possible. But it is also possible that he makes a full recovery. We do not know enough to do anything other than speculate. If he can't move around the whole discussion is silly, his career is likely over.

One thing we do know: The Vikings HAVE NOT extended Sam Bradford. The media are dramatizing the fact that the Purple declined TB's 5th year option, but the fact that they haven't extended Sam probably might imply that there remains a material amount of hope for Teddy, such that the Front Office is choosing to wait before committing completely to Sam. I doubt they'd risk having to place the Franchise tag on Bradford if they felt there was no hope for Teddy to return.

Also, they haven't tried adding any additional QBs. Some might opine that this is simply bad GM decision making, but it might also mean that the TB train hasn't left the station just yet.

Again, pure speculation on my part.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by Nunin » Tue May 02, 2017 11:16 am

Arm strength and mobility aside, what really separates the two for me is SB's willingness and ability to pull the trigger and throw with authority into tight windows, on time with excellent accuracy.
A guy can have all kinds of arm strength and mobility...but if he's not willing to gun it in there it's a waste IMO.
Bradford has never really played poorly or shown a lack of top tier ability IMO, he has been injured... a lot. He has also never had the same coordinator or offense for two seasons, which is unbelievable to me...but so go the Rams these days.
-
I really like TB, I just prefer what SB brings.
0 x

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3510
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by mansquatch » Tue May 02, 2017 11:28 am

Nunin wrote:Arm strength and mobility aside, what really separates the two for me is SB's willingness and ability to pull the trigger and throw with authority into tight windows, on time with excellent accuracy.
A guy can have all kinds of arm strength and mobility...but if he's not willing to gun it in there it's a waste IMO.
Bradford has never really played poorly or shown a lack of top tier ability IMO, he has been injured... a lot. He has also never had the same coordinator or offense for two seasons, which is unbelievable to me...but so go the Rams these days.
-
I really like TB, I just prefer what SB brings.
FWIW, right now I agree with you. His play reminds me a bit of what Tom Brady does with the football which I think could be really good for us if they can protect him.

Time will tell.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37409
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by Mothman » Tue May 02, 2017 11:35 am

mansquatch wrote: It's certainly possible.


Honestly, it's probable. A relatively small percentage of athletes even return to their sport after suffering that injury and virtually none of them have returned with the same degree of mobility and functionality they possessed prior to injury. His mobilty will almost certainly be compromised. It's just a question of how much...
One thing we do know: The Vikings HAVE NOT extended Sam Bradford. The media are dramatizing the fact that the Purple declined TB's 5th year option, but the fact that they haven't extended Sam probably might imply that there remains a material amount of hope for Teddy, such that the Front Office is choosing to wait before committing completely to Sam.
It might imply that but it could also simply mean they aren't ready to make a huge financial commitment to Bradford beyond this season. After all, he still has something to prove too.
Also, they haven't tried adding any additional QBs. Some might opine that this is simply bad GM decision making, but it might also mean that the TB train hasn't left the station just yet.
Well, TB is still on the roster so that "train" is hanging around. Their current approach to the position is pretty typical of what we've seen under Spielman so I don't think we should read too much into the fact that they haven't drafted another QB. Spielman seems to wait on that until he's practically forced by circumstances to make a move.

All of this will be sorted out in time but if the Vikings haven't been proceeding since last September with a strategy that assumes Bridgewater is unlikely to ever play for them again, I think they've been making a mistake.
0 x

User avatar
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1269
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 am

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by chicagopurple » Tue May 02, 2017 12:27 pm

QB is such a critical position that in every draft, you should pretty much always take a highly rated QB if he is available to you. It is the most critical part of the team, it is the hardest thing to find, and even if you have a Tom Brady.....you are still one injury away from becoming a bottom dweller if your QB goes down.
0 x

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3462
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by 808vikingsfan » Tue May 02, 2017 1:50 pm

A long way from playing football but this is nice to hear
J.R.‏
@JReidDraftScout

"He (Bridgewater) has started to dropback and is throwing some passes as part of his rehab."

-Rick Spielman
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

RFIP
Veteran
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by RFIP » Tue May 02, 2017 5:29 pm

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I think Teddy can overcome it as soon as anyone. But do the Vikes want to say goodbye to Sam anytime soon? I think we go 8-8 again, and if we do, I want Teddy to be qb, BUT HE HAS TO SHOW HE IS READDY. oTHERWISE, EXTEND sb now AND BUT THIS ALL TO REST. Im not going to lie, im pull for Teddy, but i will be happy with SB if they make up their minds right away. Its not like he is a rookie.
At the risk of sounding condescending (which I try not to do) you sound like spmeone who attaches wins and loses to QB's, which is a poor way to judge them overall.

If you think that "10-6 Teddy" was in ANY WAY better than "8-8 Sam" was last year you do not understand QB play in this league.

Bradford has been dealt one of the worst hands since day 1 ANY QB ever has. He was drafted by a miserable team with a first time HC in Spags. The Rams were a COMBINED 5-43 in the 3 years prior to Sam. Bradford was throwing the ball 40, then 50 times a game AS A ROOKIE, to no-name wr's. He still wn OROY and had the Rams within a nats eye lash of winning the west his rookie year. He got hurt early on year 2 (high ankle) and tried playing through it for a few weeks until he just made it too bad to even stand on. Spags got canned and Fisher came on board with zero idea how to run an offense.

Bradford was lighting it up in 2013 (first ACL year) to the tune of 14 tds/4 ints in 6.5 games before he tore his ACL in Carolina.

Tore it again in the PS at Cleveland in 14' and from there he ended up in Philly where after a slow start he was as good as any QB in the last 7-8 gaes of 2015. And then we all saw what he did last year posting a 99+ rating, 20/5 tds/ints

If they screw around and let this guy walk when he is clearly heading to even greater heights it will be a major mistake.

Teddy's a "nice" QB but he was never as good as Sam prior to the injury, and its a joke to conseider he would be "if the Vikings go 8-8 this year.."
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6999
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:22 pm

RFIP wrote: At the risk of sounding condescending (which I try not to do) you sound like spmeone who attaches wins and loses to QB's, which is a poor way to judge them overall.

If you think that "10-6 Teddy" was in ANY WAY better than "8-8 Sam" was last year you do not understand QB play in this league.

Bradford has been dealt one of the worst hands since day 1 ANY QB ever has. He was drafted by a miserable team with a first time HC in Spags. The Rams were a COMBINED 5-43 in the 3 years prior to Sam. Bradford was throwing the ball 40, then 50 times a game AS A ROOKIE, to no-name wr's. He still wn OROY and had the Rams within a nats eye lash of winning the west his rookie year. He got hurt early on year 2 (high ankle) and tried playing through it for a few weeks until he just made it too bad to even stand on. Spags got canned and Fisher came on board with zero idea how to run an offense.

Bradford was lighting it up in 2013 (first ACL year) to the tune of 14 tds/4 ints in 6.5 games before he tore his ACL in Carolina.

Tore it again in the PS at Cleveland in 14' and from there he ended up in Philly where after a slow start he was as good as any QB in the last 7-8 gaes of 2015. And then we all saw what he did last year posting a 99+ rating, 20/5 tds/ints

If they screw around and let this guy walk when he is clearly heading to even greater heights it will be a major mistake.

Teddy's a "nice" QB but he was never as good as Sam prior to the injury, and its a joke to conseider he would be "if the Vikings go 8-8 this year.."
Good and accurate summary. Sam has always had the arm talent and the intelligence. What he's lacked is health and consistency in coaching/talent. The jury is out as to whether he has the latter in Minnesota, but at least he's getting the same OC to start this year as who finished last year.

I thought Stefon Diggs' comments last winter were pretty telling, when he said Bradford has a great arm and "loves to show it off." That goes to what Nunin said about SB's willingness to pull the trigger and put the ball into tight windows. Interestingly, he not only was the most accurate quarterback in NFL history last year, he was also among the most accurate downfield passers, even though the Vikings weren't able to throw a lot of them. The guy can flat sling it.

If the Vikings can keep Bradford healthy, he very well could prove to be an upper echelon quarterback before his career is over. I truly believe that. I've never believed that about Teddy Bridgewater, likable as he is.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

RFIP
Veteran
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by RFIP » Thu May 04, 2017 7:47 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Good and accurate summary. Sam has always had the arm talent and the intelligence. What he's lacked is health and consistency in coaching/talent. The jury is out as to whether he has the latter in Minnesota, but at least he's getting the same OC to start this year as who finished last year.

I thought Stefon Diggs' comments last winter were pretty telling, when he said Bradford has a great arm and "loves to show it off." That goes to what Nunin said about SB's willingness to pull the trigger and put the ball into tight windows. Interestingly, he not only was the most accurate quarterback in NFL history last year, he was also among the most accurate downfield passers, even though the Vikings weren't able to throw a lot of them. The guy can flat sling it.

If the Vikings can keep Bradford healthy, he very well could prove to be an upper echelon quarterback before his career is over. I truly believe that. I've never believed that about Teddy Bridgewater, likable as he is.
Sam acutally lead the league in deep ball %

"When you think of quarterbacks who are known for throwing the deep ball, a few names probably come to mind.


You might think of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Matt Ryan, just to name a few. Yet, none of them led the league in accuracy on deep passes this season, and you'd probably go through at least a handful of other quarterbacks before you got to this one: Sam Bradford. That's right, Minnesota Vikings QB Sam Bradford led the league in accuracy on deep passes this season."
http://www.12up.com/posts/4386755-shock ... eep-passes
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37409
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by Mothman » Thu May 04, 2017 8:21 am

RFIP wrote:Sam acutally lead the league in deep ball %

"When you think of quarterbacks who are known for throwing the deep ball, a few names probably come to mind.

You might think of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Matt Ryan, just to name a few. Yet, none of them led the league in accuracy on deep passes this season, and you'd probably go through at least a handful of other quarterbacks before you got to this one: Sam Bradford. That's right, Minnesota Vikings QB Sam Bradford led the league in accuracy on deep passes this season."
http://www.12up.com/posts/4386755-shock ... eep-passes
It's a pet peeve of mine and I know some people disagree with it but I the distinction between accuracy and completion percentage is important so i wish sportswriters wouldn't use the word accuracy as it's used in that article. At this point, it's used that way so often that maybe It's just something I'll have to get accustomed to but to me, conflating it with completion percentage is misleading. Accuracy is about precision. For decades, it was used in football parlance to refer to the placement of passes. Completion percentage is just about completions, which only have to be accurate to the extent that a pass is catchable. Put simply, an accurate pass doesn't have to be complete and a completed pass isn't always accurate.

Sorry, I just had to get that out! I need to do that at least once a year. :lol:

Anyway, RFIP, as you pointed out, Bradford led the league in deep ball completion percentage and that IS impressive. I hope he's able to throw more of them this season.
0 x

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by Nunin » Thu May 04, 2017 10:12 am

I was tickled to hear they got Bradford...especially after the shock of hearing about TB's knee. I was really eager to watch Teddy develop last year.
I was a little confused at the dismay on the board about the trade. Either guys were not familiar with Sam's skills or jaded by their consideration for TB or both.
-
IMO, you have to go way back to find a QB for the Vikes with a skillset comparable to SB..... although I suppose one year of Brett is in the ballpark.
-
I can list a whole page of crappy moves and/or mishandlings Spielman has been involved in since the Wilfs took over...and that's not to say he hasn't had good ones...but if they can protect Sam, provide a stable system, while developing some of the speed and talent at the skill positions, my belief is that this will go down as one of the best moves for any Viking GM.
It kinda sucks that it's only May, and I know this thread is about Teddy...but I'm excited for this team to play.
Like Kapp said, I had never yet seen enough on a consistent basis that said to me Teddy would be that caliber of QB. I feel or felt, he had the potential and was buying into his development, in spite of Norv's misfit scheme.
The injury is devastating and I would be stoked if he made it back and got a chance to compete and meet that potential...even if it's elsewhere, I just like him.
-
Time will tell and it's a long way to September.
0 x

RFIP
Veteran
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by RFIP » Fri May 05, 2017 7:40 pm

chicagopurple wrote:QB is such a critical position that in every draft, you should pretty much always take a highly rated QB if he is available to you. It is the most critical part of the team, it is the hardest thing to find, and even if you have a Tom Brady.....you are still one injury away from becoming a bottom dweller if your QB goes down.

Exactly. Which is why Minnesota is playing this all wrong and Zimmer's glowing remarks today are only going to further ruin this situation. Zimmer went above and beyond for his love for teddy to the point of saying he will play again and "implying" "for the Vikings.."

Fast forward to next year after Sam plays well again this year. Their ONLY option if they pick up TB's 5th (would be 6th) year option would be to pay him $12mil and NO WAY is Sam resigning and the Vikings are out of options at that point because you aren't tagging Sam at $21+Mil AND picking up Teddy's $12+mil option.

Soooo you are there left "believing" that a QB who would be out of action for 2 consecutive years is suddenly A OK to go, with no viable option behind him.

Sam is only going to get better and better but I'm sorry, the Vikings are playing a huge game of cat and mouse not realizing Sam is holding all the cards.

This is going to blow up in their collective faces and probably this year now. Teddy will be around "the guys" from day 1 and Sam will know it's Teddy's team. This WILL divide the locker room.

It's a mess folks, don't believe it is not.
0 x

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Vikings decline 5th-year option on Bridgewater

Post by Nunin » Fri May 05, 2017 7:50 pm

Ima go out on a limb and say glass half empty?....with a splash of fool me once etc?
0 x

Post Reply