Barr could be highest paid at his position in 2018

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Barr could be highest paid at his position in 2018

Post by Mothman »

Anthony Barr could be highest paid at his position in 2018 -- then what?
Since the NFL introduced a rookie wage scale (and the fifth-year option) in 2011, there have only been eight linebackers taken in the top 10 -- Von Miller, Luke Kuechly, Barkevious Mingo, Khalil Mack, Barr, Vic Beasley, Dante Fowler and Leonard Floyd. Of those, only Miller, Mack, Barr and Beasley have spent any time playing outside linebacker in a 4-3, and all three of the other ones frequently move to the line of scrimmage on passing downs, rushing the quarterback with a hand in the dirt.

For his career, Beasley has rushed the quarterback on 94.5 percent of passing situations, while Mack has rushed on 87.4 percent, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Miller (who is now in a 3-4) has rushed 80 percent of the time when the offense plans to throw. Barr, on the other hand, has only rushed 20.8 percent of the time on passing plays in his career. In short, he's being used more like a traditional 4-3 linebacker than Miller or Beasley.

If Barr is around on his option next year, however, he's going to get paid like a 3-4 linebacker.
More at the link.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Barr could be highest paid at his position in 2018

Post by CbusVikesFan »

I'm not sure if he is going to be worth that kind of dough. He might want to turn it up a bit. Yes he makes plays but does he make enough to warrant that kind of a contract.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

CbusVikesFan wrote: I'm not sure if he is going to be worth that kind of dough. He might want to turn it up a bit. Yes he makes plays but does he make enough to warrant that kind of a contract.
He certainly appeared to regress in '16 (were there ANY "splash" plays?). I'm hoping it was injury-related (he's had a few). He has a lot to prove this year.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote: He certainly appeared to regress in '16 (were there ANY "splash" plays?). I'm hoping it was injury-related (he's had a few). He has a lot to prove this year.
He certainly does. Kendricks has already outpaced him and ignoring the LB position in the near future will be another fire to put out.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

CbusVikesFan wrote: He certainly does. Kendricks has already outpaced him and ignoring the LB position in the near future will be another fire to put out.
I think Barr will turn it around. I am more worried about him being injured. Hopefully he and Kendrick can be together for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Im starting to think I am the only one with Barr Issues, a lot of them. And thus far I dont like the way they have been handled.
AlldayPotter
Backup

Post by AlldayPotter »

Is anyone else annoyed that we have him playing so much coverage? Barr is amazing pass rusher, gotta let him loose this year. Gotta pump those numbers up.

But for real, have barr blitz more and Harrison Smith put back in coverage with what he is good at, hogging the ball.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

This year is definitely a big year for Barr. I don't see it as regression. That's just me. But I agree we need to rush the passer more with him. His problem is he has trouble shedding blocks. But he's so freakishly athletic that he's able to make so many other plays. If he can find a way to get off blocks better, he could be a real force. He just gets flushed out of the run easily at times. That's what needs to be fixed. I personally have no issue with Zim saying what he did about Barr in that presser. You're a first round pick thats had 2 very good seasons before last. He needs to step up and I'm sure he now knows that after what Zim said.

Whether people think it's right or wrong with what Zim said, as long as he has his players on his hip and they respect him as a coach (which they all do by the looks of it) that will do nothing but light a fire under Barr's butt to step his game up. It's not like there is friction with Zim and his players no matter what he says to the media. That's how I am as a coach as well. I'm a no bull crap type of guy when it comes to my players and if I know what your true potential is and have witnessed it which we all have with Barr, you're going to get called out by your coach. I admire Zim for not just sitting there and watching his players coast like others might. Thats what makes a good coach
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:This year is definitely a big year for Barr. I don't see it as regression. That's just me. But I agree we need to rush the passer more with him. His problem is he has trouble shedding blocks. But he's so freakishly athletic that he's able to make so many other plays. If he can find a way to get off blocks better, he could be a real force. He just gets flushed out of the run easily at times. That's what needs to be fixed. I personally have no issue with Zim saying what he did about Barr in that presser. You're a first round pick thats had 2 very good seasons before last. He needs to step up and I'm sure he now knows that after what Zim said.

Whether people think it's right or wrong with what Zim said, as long as he has his players on his hip and they respect him as a coach (which they all do by the looks of it) that will do nothing but light a fire under Barr's butt to step his game up. It's not like there is friction with Zim and his players no matter what he says to the media. That's how I am as a coach as well. I'm a no bull crap type of guy when it comes to my players and if I know what your true potential is and have witnessed it which we all have with Barr, you're going to get called out by your coach. I admire Zim for not just sitting there and watching his players coast like others might. Thats what makes a good coach
Thing is we don't know for sure how Barr took that info.....I remember an interview with Barr in the locker room and a reporter asked him about what Zim had said and his reply was something like "he is entitled to his opinion" or something along that line. Could be all surface but that does not sound like someone taking responsibility for his poor play.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Article is a little misleading as they don't mean linebacker when they say "position" they mean a 43 linebacker.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Madden dropped him from like a 90 to a 77 after this season. Shows you what madden thinks of him lol (Yes I know it's just a game).
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Barr had a down year but I think he'll bounce back. The talent is there, so it also depends on how he's used.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

losperros wrote:Barr had a down year but I think he'll bounce back. The talent is there, so it also depends on how he's used.
I think his usage is perfect. I get the sense that sometimes Barr loafs. There's no question about his talent, but if he has lapses in games where his intensity is down and seems to look disinterested, that's obviously a real problem and is concerning if he's the highest paid at his position.