Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

Post by VikingLord »

PacificNorseWest wrote:The Cook pick reminds me of the same splash pick the Vikings made with Moss and Peterson. Especially in regards to Moss and the character question marks.
That's the way I see it too. Character concerns are serious and should be a consideration when investing in a player, but guys can turn it around, or, at the very least, avoid the people and situations that get them into trouble. Minnesota is a long way from Miami, so if Cook wants/needs a clean break from distractions down there he's going to get it.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Who are you addressing with those last two paragraphs? You weren't singled out. Your post upthread was fine.
I think it was more the overall attitude, sorry. Through out multiple posts. I think this pick has a number of issues. And I was singled out for not being on board with the pick overall. Which is as usual. :(
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: I think it was more the overall attitude, sorry. Through out multiple posts. I think this pick has a number of issues. And I was singled out for not being on board with the pick overall. Which is as usual. :(
No need to apologize. I wasn't happy about the reaction to your post either, which is why I asked people to knock off the good fan/bad fan stuff.

This pick does have a number of issues. Cook has the potential to be a very dynamic, productive player for the Vikes so there are good reasons for people to like the choice but he also has a troubling history off the field and a few issues on it as well, so it's perfectly reasonable for some fans to dislike the pick too.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

While I was hoping for more OL help in the 2nd round, Dalvin Cook is a pretty good receiver out of the backfield and was a proven playmaker at FSU. I'm excited at the potential. He could even be a dangerous KR, for which we have a vacancy in the roster.

Could have done much worse. Let's see what the kid's got.

:govikes:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: Who are you addressing with those last two paragraphs? You weren't singled out. Your post upthread was fine.
I dont think that's a tough one to figure out ....
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote: I think it was more the overall attitude, sorry. Through out multiple posts. I think this pick has a number of issues. And I was singled out for not being on board with the pick overall. Which is as usual. :(
Didnt you also disagree with the Adrian Peterson pick?? I mean do you really blame anybody for criticizing you when you do something like that? Cook was one of the best backs in the draft. It's highly unlikely that when we draft one of the best backs in the draft, everyone on here is going to complain like you. So I'm not really sure what you expect.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I dont think that's a tough one to figure out ....
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Didnt you also disagree with the Adrian Peterson pick?? I mean do you really blame anybody for criticizing you when you do something like that? Cook was one of the best backs in the draft. It's highly unlikely that when we draft one of the best backs in the draft, everyone on here is going to complain like you. So I'm not really sure what you expect.

Was I not clear above when I asked people to knock off the good fan/bad fan stuff?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:

Was I not clear above when I asked people to knock off the good fan/bad fan stuff?
When did I ever once say he was a good or bad fan? I said I think it's pretty obvious who he is referring to (me). I also said that he disagreed with the Peterson pick and that could be why he's being criticized for not liking the Cook pick or why his analysis on players is being taken with a grain of salt. Nowhere in there did anyone say he is being criticized for being a "bad fan". So I dont have a clue where that is coming from.
-Chazz Palminteri
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Can't peeps just express their opinions for the sake of expressing them?
Somebody doesn't like a pick or Spielman or whatever....what difference does it really make?
People expressing contrary opinions doesn't drag this place down the way some people believe.
There is a heluva lot more to worry about in real life than who's 'right' on a message board....at least IMO.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:When did I ever once say he was a good or bad fan? I said I think it's pretty obvious who he is referring to (me). I also said that he disagreed with the Peterson pick and that could be why he's being criticized for not liking the Cook pick or why his analysis on players is being taken with a grain of salt. Nowhere in there did anyone say he is being criticized for being a "bad fan". So I dont have a clue where that is coming from.
The "good fan/bad fan" rule doesn't just apply to the actual use of those specific terms. It's indicative of a certain type of behavior and that's why it's clarified in the rules with the statement "Disagree and respond to the post, do not attack the poster."

You're engaging in that type of behavior in this thread. Please stop.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote:Can't peeps just express their opinions for the sake of expressing them?
Somebody doesn't like a pick or Spielman or whatever....what difference does it really make?
People expressing contrary opinions doesn't drag this place down the way some people believe.
There is a heluva lot more to worry about in real life than who's 'right' on a message board....at least IMO.
Absolutely. Good post and good points (thank you) but let's get back to Cook before this thread gets too far off track. :)
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I don't dislike the Cook pick. I think he can bring a lot to the table in this current offense. I'm not super stoked on his homerun qualities as much as I am his receiving capacity. I don't want to ever see another vikes offense that relies heavily on one particular RB or WR.

I really feel this team is built to win and go deep....but only if the line is adequate and has some good fortune healthwise.
The backfield is solid IMO.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingLord wrote: My concern with Cook is his running style more than where he was drafted. He's fast, but he's more of a straight-line runner who needs good blocking. You don't see too many highlights where Cook has to cut back or slow down to find an alternative opening. Without good blocking up front I don't know if Cook will get to show his blazing speed very often.

It'll be interesting to see what impact Cook has. An argument can be made that there were better players at other positions of need, but if Cook is productive and effective the pick will be viewed as a good one.
FSU had a pretty poor O-line, certainly worse that OU. Cook had, I believe the 2nd most yards after contact and something close to 100 missed tackles. FSU also employed multiple schemes from what I read (zone, gap, power) so I think he'll be okay. I think to me ball security is the biggest concern. What I like is the guy shows up in big games, if you look at his stats against top SEC teams, he puts up big numbers in big games.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

I just went to the gym for the first time in a year....i'm gonna be moving slow tomorrow.
Anyway, for some reason there was a replay of the ACC title game on in there. It sure looked to like Cook has lots of moves, jump cuts and some wiggle to go wit his speed and power. I can't speak for his squirt in the hole...and it was only one game that i didn't fully watch...cause I was lifting, bro...but what I did see was the fastest guy on the field being Cook.
I'm intrigued to say the least.
The day he was drafted I looked up his fumbles. He seems to fumble in bunches. He won't fumble for 5 weeks then he fumbles twice in the same game. 2 or 3 times that happened in his career.
He catches the ball well too.
Between these 3 backs Shurmur has a ton of options.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Nunin wrote:I just went to the gym for the first time in a year....i'm gonna be moving slow tomorrow.
Anyway, for some reason there was a replay of the ACC title game on in there. It sure looked to like Cook has lots of moves, jump cuts and some wiggle to go wit his speed and power. I can't speak for his squirt in the hole...and it was only one game that i didn't fully watch...cause I was lifting, bro...but what I did see was the fastest guy on the field being Cook.
I'm intrigued to say the least.
The day he was drafted I looked up his fumbles. He seems to fumble in bunches. He won't fumble for 5 weeks then he fumbles twice in the same game. 2 or 3 times that happened in his career.
He catches the ball well too.
Between these 3 backs Shurmur has a ton of options.
Elflien and Cook should become best friends. While at guard Elflien opened up some nice holes for Zeke Elliott.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter