View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:06 am



Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St. 
Author Message
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5617
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
PacificNorseWest wrote:
The Cook pick reminds me of the same splash pick the Vikings made with Moss and Peterson. Especially in regards to Moss and the character question marks.


That's the way I see it too. Character concerns are serious and should be a consideration when investing in a player, but guys can turn it around, or, at the very least, avoid the people and situations that get them into trouble. Minnesota is a long way from Miami, so if Cook wants/needs a clean break from distractions down there he's going to get it.


Wed May 03, 2017 12:37 am
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Quote:
Who are you addressing with those last two paragraphs? You weren't singled out. Your post upthread was fine.


I think it was more the overall attitude, sorry. Through out multiple posts. I think this pick has a number of issues. And I was singled out for not being on board with the pick overall. Which is as usual. :(


Wed May 03, 2017 1:04 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Demi wrote:
Quote:
Who are you addressing with those last two paragraphs? You weren't singled out. Your post upthread was fine.


I think it was more the overall attitude, sorry. Through out multiple posts. I think this pick has a number of issues. And I was singled out for not being on board with the pick overall. Which is as usual. :(


No need to apologize. I wasn't happy about the reaction to your post either, which is why I asked people to knock off the good fan/bad fan stuff.

This pick does have a number of issues. Cook has the potential to be a very dynamic, productive player for the Vikes so there are good reasons for people to like the choice but he also has a troubling history off the field and a few issues on it as well, so it's perfectly reasonable for some fans to dislike the pick too.


Wed May 03, 2017 5:27 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 9266
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
While I was hoping for more OL help in the 2nd round, Dalvin Cook is a pretty good receiver out of the backfield and was a proven playmaker at FSU. I'm excited at the potential. He could even be a dangerous KR, for which we have a vacancy in the roster.

Could have done much worse. Let's see what the kid's got.

:govikes:

_________________
*********
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida


Wed May 03, 2017 11:42 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4618
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Mothman wrote:
Who are you addressing with those last two paragraphs? You weren't singled out. Your post upthread was fine.


I dont think that's a tough one to figure out ....

_________________
Image


Wed May 03, 2017 11:43 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4618
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Demi wrote:
Quote:
Who are you addressing with those last two paragraphs? You weren't singled out. Your post upthread was fine.


I think it was more the overall attitude, sorry. Through out multiple posts. I think this pick has a number of issues. And I was singled out for not being on board with the pick overall. Which is as usual. :(


Didnt you also disagree with the Adrian Peterson pick?? I mean do you really blame anybody for criticizing you when you do something like that? Cook was one of the best backs in the draft. It's highly unlikely that when we draft one of the best backs in the draft, everyone on here is going to complain like you. So I'm not really sure what you expect.

_________________
Image


Wed May 03, 2017 11:45 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Who are you addressing with those last two paragraphs? You weren't singled out. Your post upthread was fine.


I dont think that's a tough one to figure out ....


Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Demi wrote:
Quote:
Who are you addressing with those last two paragraphs? You weren't singled out. Your post upthread was fine.


I think it was more the overall attitude, sorry. Through out multiple posts. I think this pick has a number of issues. And I was singled out for not being on board with the pick overall. Which is as usual. :(


Didnt you also disagree with the Adrian Peterson pick?? I mean do you really blame anybody for criticizing you when you do something like that? Cook was one of the best backs in the draft. It's highly unlikely that when we draft one of the best backs in the draft, everyone on here is going to complain like you. So I'm not really sure what you expect.



Was I not clear above when I asked people to knock off the good fan/bad fan stuff?


Wed May 03, 2017 11:59 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4618
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Mothman wrote:


Was I not clear above when I asked people to knock off the good fan/bad fan stuff?


When did I ever once say he was a good or bad fan? I said I think it's pretty obvious who he is referring to (me). I also said that he disagreed with the Peterson pick and that could be why he's being criticized for not liking the Cook pick or why his analysis on players is being taken with a grain of salt. Nowhere in there did anyone say he is being criticized for being a "bad fan". So I dont have a clue where that is coming from.

_________________
Image


Wed May 03, 2017 12:09 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Can't peeps just express their opinions for the sake of expressing them?
Somebody doesn't like a pick or Spielman or whatever....what difference does it really make?
People expressing contrary opinions doesn't drag this place down the way some people believe.
There is a heluva lot more to worry about in real life than who's 'right' on a message board....at least IMO.


Wed May 03, 2017 12:22 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
When did I ever once say he was a good or bad fan? I said I think it's pretty obvious who he is referring to (me). I also said that he disagreed with the Peterson pick and that could be why he's being criticized for not liking the Cook pick or why his analysis on players is being taken with a grain of salt. Nowhere in there did anyone say he is being criticized for being a "bad fan". So I dont have a clue where that is coming from.


The "good fan/bad fan" rule doesn't just apply to the actual use of those specific terms. It's indicative of a certain type of behavior and that's why it's clarified in the rules with the statement "Disagree and respond to the post, do not attack the poster."

You're engaging in that type of behavior in this thread. Please stop.


Wed May 03, 2017 12:24 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Nunin wrote:
Can't peeps just express their opinions for the sake of expressing them?
Somebody doesn't like a pick or Spielman or whatever....what difference does it really make?
People expressing contrary opinions doesn't drag this place down the way some people believe.
There is a heluva lot more to worry about in real life than who's 'right' on a message board....at least IMO.


Absolutely. Good post and good points (thank you) but let's get back to Cook before this thread gets too far off track. :)


Wed May 03, 2017 12:26 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
I don't dislike the Cook pick. I think he can bring a lot to the table in this current offense. I'm not super stoked on his homerun qualities as much as I am his receiving capacity. I don't want to ever see another vikes offense that relies heavily on one particular RB or WR.

I really feel this team is built to win and go deep....but only if the line is adequate and has some good fortune healthwise.
The backfield is solid IMO.


Wed May 03, 2017 12:39 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10703
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
VikingLord wrote:
Demi wrote:
Lose AD, draft a RB. Definitely didn't see this coming. Wait, it's exactly what you should expect from this GM.
And another huge steal? Fell in the draft! Wow! Wonder what the issues are? Ball security? Injuries? Off the field?
All of the above! Fantastic.

And drafting any RB this early? After seeing the overall value of the position in recent history?

:wallbang:


My concern with Cook is his running style more than where he was drafted. He's fast, but he's more of a straight-line runner who needs good blocking. You don't see too many highlights where Cook has to cut back or slow down to find an alternative opening. Without good blocking up front I don't know if Cook will get to show his blazing speed very often.

It'll be interesting to see what impact Cook has. An argument can be made that there were better players at other positions of need, but if Cook is productive and effective the pick will be viewed as a good one.


FSU had a pretty poor O-line, certainly worse that OU. Cook had, I believe the 2nd most yards after contact and something close to 100 missed tackles. FSU also employed multiple schemes from what I read (zone, gap, power) so I think he'll be okay. I think to me ball security is the biggest concern. What I like is the guy shows up in big games, if you look at his stats against top SEC teams, he puts up big numbers in big games.


Wed May 03, 2017 2:10 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
I just went to the gym for the first time in a year....i'm gonna be moving slow tomorrow.
Anyway, for some reason there was a replay of the ACC title game on in there. It sure looked to like Cook has lots of moves, jump cuts and some wiggle to go wit his speed and power. I can't speak for his squirt in the hole...and it was only one game that i didn't fully watch...cause I was lifting, bro...but what I did see was the fastest guy on the field being Cook.
I'm intrigued to say the least.
The day he was drafted I looked up his fumbles. He seems to fumble in bunches. He won't fumble for 5 weeks then he fumbles twice in the same game. 2 or 3 times that happened in his career.
He catches the ball well too.
Between these 3 backs Shurmur has a ton of options.


Wed May 03, 2017 6:01 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 1390
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Nunin wrote:
I just went to the gym for the first time in a year....i'm gonna be moving slow tomorrow.
Anyway, for some reason there was a replay of the ACC title game on in there. It sure looked to like Cook has lots of moves, jump cuts and some wiggle to go wit his speed and power. I can't speak for his squirt in the hole...and it was only one game that i didn't fully watch...cause I was lifting, bro...but what I did see was the fastest guy on the field being Cook.
I'm intrigued to say the least.
The day he was drafted I looked up his fumbles. He seems to fumble in bunches. He won't fumble for 5 weeks then he fumbles twice in the same game. 2 or 3 times that happened in his career.
He catches the ball well too.
Between these 3 backs Shurmur has a ton of options.

Elflien and Cook should become best friends. While at guard Elflien opened up some nice holes for Zeke Elliott.

_________________
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter


Wed May 03, 2017 7:29 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23676
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed May 03, 2017 8:10 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23676
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
I love Matt Waldman's stuff.


_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Wed May 03, 2017 8:27 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Quote:
I also said that he disagreed with the Peterson pick


Do you have a specific thing I said or...? I don't remember being as down on the pick as you keep implying.


Wed May 03, 2017 9:50 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4618
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Demi wrote:
Quote:
I also said that he disagreed with the Peterson pick


Do you have a specific thing I said or...? I don't remember being as down on the pick as you keep implying.


What you said was brought up a year or so ago. And it wasnt even me that found it. Somebody else did. It happened but it's whatever, I'm over it. Moving on....

_________________
Image


Wed May 03, 2017 11:08 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23676
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Cool stat on Cook's tackle-breaking proficiency

Image

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/860845633208549376

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Sat May 06, 2017 8:28 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37219
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
dead_poet wrote:
Cool stat on Cook's tackle-breaking proficiency

Image

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/860845633208549376


That sounds encouraging!


Sat May 06, 2017 8:47 am
Profile
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 am
Posts: 40
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Cool stat on Cook's tackle-breaking proficiency

Image

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/860845633208549376


That sounds encouraging!


I didn't watch any Longhorn games, but you would think Foreman with 2200 yards would be high on that list--maybe we can add some of those olineman next draft :v):


Sat May 06, 2017 9:01 am
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:17 pm
Posts: 338
Location: Ormond Beach, Florida
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -minicamp/

Woo


Sat May 06, 2017 7:29 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17788
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
ocampo82 wrote:
Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Cool stat on Cook's tackle-breaking proficiency

Image

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/860845633208549376


That sounds encouraging!


I didn't watch any Longhorn games, but you would think Foreman with 2200 yards would be high on that list--maybe we can add some of those olineman next draft :v):

He's 4th on the list.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sat May 06, 2017 9:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
How is his blocking, route running, and pass catching? With Shurmur that should be just as big a question.


Sun May 07, 2017 11:22 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am
Posts: 567
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
I hope Cook can be an every down guy and do it well. IMO, the Vikes have not had a complete RB since Chester Taylor was here...that guy was a really good RB/football player.


Sun May 07, 2017 12:13 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23676
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Demi wrote:
How is his blocking, route running, and pass catching? With Shurmur that should be just as big a question.


From what I've read or seen his blocking needs work (same goes for most most rookie RBs), but willing to engage, route running is OK but was limited due to scheme, pass catching is average. Had a few drops but holds his own. One scouting report:

Quote:
dynamic receiver out of the backfield, able to gash opponents on screens and exploit mismatches against linebackers and safeties in coverage. He’s also a willing and able pass protector who can keep his quarterback clean when blitzing defenders come free.


https://www.google.com/amp/draftwire.us ... state/amp/

Not all paint his receiving or blocking as well but I haven't found many saying either were all that bad. There's enough there to work with and probably starts out at least as well as AD was, probably better at both. Most paint him as "complete" and able to contribute as a three-day player.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Sun May 07, 2017 2:38 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3079
Location: Sebastian, FL
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
dead_poet wrote:
Demi wrote:
How is his blocking, route running, and pass catching? With Shurmur that should be just as big a question.


From what I've read or seen his blocking needs work (same goes for most most rookie RBs), but willing to engage, route running is OK but was limited due to scheme, pass catching is average. Had a few drops but holds his own. One scouting report:

Quote:
dynamic receiver out of the backfield, able to gash opponents on screens and exploit mismatches against linebackers and safeties in coverage. He’s also a willing and able pass protector who can keep his quarterback clean when blitzing defenders come free.


https://www.google.com/amp/draftwire.us ... state/amp/

Not all paint his receiving or blocking as well but I haven't found many saying either were all that bad. There's enough there to work with and probably starts out at least as well as AD was, probably better at both. Most paint him as "complete" and able to contribute as a three-day player.

As long as one of those days is the day of the game, I'm fine.

_________________
It's not how many times you get knocked down that matters, it's how many times you get back up and try again.


Sun May 07, 2017 6:08 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6560
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Rock45 wrote:
While Cook is not a bad pick, he is no Mixon. Mixon was the best back in this draft.

Plenty of experts disagree with you. A number of them feel Dalvin Cook is better than both Mixon and Leonard Fournette.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Sun May 07, 2017 9:04 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3300
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
S197 wrote:
VikingLord wrote:
Demi wrote:
Lose AD, draft a RB. Definitely didn't see this coming. Wait, it's exactly what you should expect from this GM.
And another huge steal? Fell in the draft! Wow! Wonder what the issues are? Ball security? Injuries? Off the field?
All of the above! Fantastic.

And drafting any RB this early? After seeing the overall value of the position in recent history?

:wallbang:


My concern with Cook is his running style more than where he was drafted. He's fast, but he's more of a straight-line runner who needs good blocking. You don't see too many highlights where Cook has to cut back or slow down to find an alternative opening. Without good blocking up front I don't know if Cook will get to show his blazing speed very often.

It'll be interesting to see what impact Cook has. An argument can be made that there were better players at other positions of need, but if Cook is productive and effective the pick will be viewed as a good one.


FSU had a pretty poor O-line, certainly worse that OU. Cook had, I believe the 2nd most yards after contact and something close to 100 missed tackles. FSU also employed multiple schemes from what I read (zone, gap, power) so I think he'll be okay. I think to me ball security is the biggest concern. What I like is the guy shows up in big games, if you look at his stats against top SEC teams, he puts up big numbers in big games.


The Fumblitus is the biggest issue he'll likely face as a rookie. Teams will expose that in a nanosecond in the NFL.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Mon May 08, 2017 10:31 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.