Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I expect Mixon to have temper problems a lot sooner then I have problems with Cook being an immature idiot and doing stupid things. Rick seemed to think Cook was serious when he said twice, he was leaving the Miami scene behind him. Going to be interesting to see which of the 2 turns out to be the better all around back in 4 or so years. Wonder how Bradford feels about the Cook pick.
I would have preferred to see the Vikes stay away from both players.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: I trust him too but according to an article I read on King's MMQB site, Cook had run-ins with law enforcement on at least 3 occasions during his freshman year in college and during the summer before his sophomore year he was accused of punching a woman, was charged with assault and was then suspended from the team. He was found not guilty on the assault charge. There was reasonable doubt but he has a troubling history and it continued after high school. I think there's genuine cause for concern with this kid. He's just been in trouble too often, over too much time.
You're correct ... I'm mistaken. He did have some issues early in his career at FSU. However, he was found not guilty by a jury on the charge of punching a woman. He's also reported to have turned a corner in the latter part of his FSU career, and stopped going back to Miami to hang with the old crowd.

As King reported, a lot of kids coming out of Miami Dade have early problems. It's abject poverty there, and rough crowds. Cook's grandma has been a huge influence in his life, and while he's made mistakes, he's also grown.

I'd rather give a chance to someone like that than to someone like Mixon. YMMV.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: And exactly what does that matter? Reports on ESPN were than only four teams were even willing to talk to Joe Mixon, let alone draft him.

And now the Bengals are going to hand this guy a signing bonus check for more than $2 million? Gee, what's the over/under on the number of weeks before Mixon finds himself on another police blotter? Three? Four?

I love the drafting of Cook, whom most analysts are calling a second-round pick with first-round talent.
I think Cook is a quality back. Mixon is just better. By a good margin. Actually, way better. It made little sense to trade up (with the Bengals) to grab Cook. The Bengals grabbed Mixon in the Vikings spot. The Bengals were likely going to grab Mixon regardless so we just handed them a free bonus pick. I believe a person can change dramatically in 2 years time. Mixon is going on 3 years now of keeping his nose clean. I don't fault selecting Cook. I fault how the selection was handled.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I believe there was something on Showtime that followed the Seminoles. Supposedly it gives a lot of insight into Cook. I can't recall where I heard this, it was either on NFLN or maybe Reddit.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Marcus Mosher ✔ @Marcus_Mosher
According to Sports Science, John Ross and Dalvin Cook had the same 20-yard split in pads: 2.67.
Marcus Mosher ✔ @Marcus_Mosher
According to Sports Science, Cook has the second fastest top speed of any RB they've tested in the past five years.

Can anyone find the sport science clip?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Rock45 wrote:I think Cook is a quality back. Mixon is just better. By a good margin. Actually, way better.

Can you elaborate? It's just that I have a hard time believing Mixon being that much better when OK had a much better OL than FLST. Despite this, Cook had 500 more rushing yds and scored 10 more TDs.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

On the subject of Cook v Mixon does anyone know if there is truth to Wilf ending the discussion? I can't remember where I saw it but I swear somewhere on draft day I saw something mentioned that the war room was in on Mixon until Wilf squashed it.
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Can you elaborate? It's just that I have a hard time believing Mixon being that much better when OK had a much better OL than FLST. Despite this, Cook had 500 more rushing yds and scored 10 more TDs.
Better vertical runner, better juker, better receiver, better leap frogger, better stiff arm. Mixon split time with Perine as well.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Rock45 wrote: Better vertical runner, better juker, better receiver, better leap frogger, better stiff arm. Mixon split time with Perine as well.
Better leap frogger?? :lol: Thats a new one
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Check out the long article on the Daily Norseman about Cook:
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/5/1/1 ... alvin-cook

It's a pretty in-depth look. It put my mind at ease. Actually, it got me really psyched for the start of the season.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote: I would have preferred to see the Vikes stay away from both players.
Exactly.
The position isn't worth investing an early pick in. You can find production in free agency or mid to late round players.
And in Shurmur's offense? This team has a number of needs. There were players at far more valuable positions available.

And I'm "negative(bad fan)"? There are plenty of posters who will pat the team on the pack for any pick they make. And reinforce every post that's made. I don't think the Elflein pick was bad. Even though I question Spielman and his signing/drafting players that are "multi-position" players that don't seen great at either position (and flare out when they're moved to the other position).

You have dozens of "good fan" posts talking about how great the pick is, and you have to single out the one post that questions it? Look at the free agents and draft picks this team has made, and how many worked out. Who is closer to the truth? :confused:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: Exactly.
The position isn't worth investing an early pick in. You can find production in free agency or mid to late round players.
And in Shurmur's offense? This team has a number of needs. There were players at far more valuable positions available.

And I'm "negative(bad fan)"? There are plenty of posters who will pat the team on the pack for any pick they make. And reinforce every post that's made. I don't think the Elflein pick was bad. Even though I question Spielman and his signing/drafting players that are "multi-position" players that don't seen great at either position (and flare out when they're moved to the other position).

You have dozens of "good fan" posts talking about how great the pick is, and you have to single out the one post that questions it? Look at the free agents and draft picks this team has made, and how many worked out. Who is closer to the truth? :confused:
Who are you addressing with those last two paragraphs? You weren't singled out. Your post upthread was fine.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

The Cook pick reminds me of the same splash pick the Vikings made with Moss and Peterson. Especially in regards to Moss and the character question marks.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Demi wrote:Lose AD, draft a RB. Definitely didn't see this coming. Wait, it's exactly what you should expect from this GM.
And another huge steal? Fell in the draft! Wow! Wonder what the issues are? Ball security? Injuries? Off the field?
All of the above! Fantastic.

And drafting any RB this early? After seeing the overall value of the position in recent history?

:wallbang:
My concern with Cook is his running style more than where he was drafted. He's fast, but he's more of a straight-line runner who needs good blocking. You don't see too many highlights where Cook has to cut back or slow down to find an alternative opening. Without good blocking up front I don't know if Cook will get to show his blazing speed very often.

It'll be interesting to see what impact Cook has. An argument can be made that there were better players at other positions of need, but if Cook is productive and effective the pick will be viewed as a good one.