Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by CbusVikesFan » Tue May 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Mothman wrote: 12 (13 if you count Joe Webb, who was initially drafted to play WR). 4 of them were drafted in the first 2 rounds.
Good Lord! Exasperating. There ya have it.
0 x
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1802
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by halfgiz » Wed May 03, 2017 8:24 am

808vikingsfan wrote:Supposed to be a deep OT class next year from what I've heard. Rome wasn't...

But right now our problem is who is going to be RG. Next season if we decide to not keep Boone and Berger retires.
We will need to find players at them spots.
I'm intrested to see how Reid Fragel does in the preseason. Could him and Hill be depth at the tackle spots.
0 x

User avatar
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1269
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:45 am

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by chicagopurple » Wed May 03, 2017 10:43 am

CbusVikes hit the nail on the head.......its all a long term problem with no short fix.
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24546
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by dead_poet » Wed May 03, 2017 11:26 am

halfgiz wrote:
But right now our problem is who is going to be RG. Next season if we decide to not keep Boone and Berger retires.
We will need to find players at them spots.
I'm intrested to see how Reid Fragel does in the preseason. Could him and Hill be depth at the tackle spots.
Boone is signed through 2019. I'd be shocked if they release him outright prior to that. Isiorda has a shot at the RG spot in a couple years, barring draft/FA.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by Nunin » Wed May 03, 2017 12:26 pm

So, what's the deal with Smith, the right tackle? Is he one and done or is he still in the mix there?
Is that even the correct name? I'm talkin about the FA they signed with Boone last year.
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24546
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by dead_poet » Wed May 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Nunin wrote:So, what's the deal with Smith, the right tackle? Is he one and done or is he still in the mix there?
Is that even the correct name? I'm talkin about the FA they signed with Boone last year.
He was a FA and re-signed with Cincy.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by Nunin » Wed May 03, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks DP.
0 x

User avatar
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by CbusVikesFan » Wed May 03, 2017 1:40 pm

chicagopurple wrote:CbusVikes hit the nail on the head.......its all a long term problem with no short fix.
Some days I think we have hope to be headed in the right direction then every year it's a different hot spot to address, that doesn't. I shake my head at the draft almost every year. This year I was sure that all of the picks would make sense and have value for the pick.
0 x
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5380
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed May 03, 2017 11:21 pm

CbusVikesFan wrote: Some days I think we have hope to be headed in the right direction then every year it's a different hot spot to address, that doesn't. I shake my head at the draft almost every year. This year I was sure that all of the picks would make sense and have value for the pick.
Every team every year has a hot spot to address. GB with secondary and RB, Seattle with their OL and interior DL, Dallas with their D backfield, I can go on and on. Just because we have a different spot to address every year doesnt say much. All teams do.
0 x
Image

User avatar
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by CbusVikesFan » Thu May 04, 2017 8:18 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Every team every year has a hot spot to address. GB with secondary and RB, Seattle with their OL and interior DL, Dallas with their D backfield, I can go on and on. Just because we have a different spot to address every year doesnt say much. All teams do.
Yea, and you missed what I said after that, it "doesn't" get addressed until after it's a "hot mess". I don't give a crap who else has a hot spot, I'm talking about Vikings. When you have a certain need that is more glaring than any other position and year after year it is ignored is what I am talking about. Need O-line, grab a wr or two. Need a LB, draft one late and hope for the best.
0 x
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

RFIP
Veteran
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by RFIP » Thu May 04, 2017 8:19 am

The fact that TJ Clemmings is still on the roster is VERY discouraging to me. He is easily the worst OL I saw play for any team last year. And I watched him at Pitt too and could not believe the Vikings drafted him. He is just BAD.
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37407
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by Mothman » Thu May 04, 2017 8:31 am

RFIP wrote:The fact that TJ Clemmings is still on the roster is VERY discouraging to me. He is easily the worst OL I saw play for any team last year. And I watched him at Pitt too and could not believe the Vikings drafted him. He is just BAD.
I agree and it bothers me too. I'm not sure why Beavers is still on the roster either, although I doubt he'll make it any further than the practice squad this year, if he even gets that far.

Clemmings continued presence on the roster speaks to an issue I've had with vikings management for years now. They're too willing to settle and stick with ineffective players for years. Why keep Clemmings around? Use that roster spot on another player. Maybe that player won't prove to be any more effective than T. J. has been but at least the effort would indicate the team is trying to improve on an obvious weakness.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18476
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by PurpleMustReign » Thu May 04, 2017 8:52 am

Mothman wrote: I agree and it bothers me too. I'm not sure why Beavers is still on the roster either, although I doubt he'll make it any further than the practice squad this year, if he even gets that far.

Clemmings continued presence on the roster speaks to an issue I've had with vikings management for years now. They're too willing to settle and stick with ineffective players for years. Why keep Clemmings around? Use that roster spot on another player. Maybe that player won't prove to be any more effective than T. J. has been but at least the effort would indicate the team is trying to improve on an obvious weakness.
My guess is since he is going into his 3rd year, they are hoping for developmental improvement. He certainly didn't show much last season, so Idk. I assume he also isn't making much money. I still think they should try him at guard, or even at DE. Why did Pitt change him to OL?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37407
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by Mothman » Thu May 04, 2017 9:06 am

PurpleMustReign wrote:My guess is since he is going into his 3rd year, they are hoping for developmental improvement. He certainly didn't show much last season, so Idk. I assume he also isn't making much money. I still think they should try him at guard, or even at DE. Why did Pitt change him to OL?
I don't remember, although I think I read about it when he was first drafted.

I assume they're looking for developmental improvement too. Maybe they'll get it but at this point it seems to me he'd have to improve so much that moving on would be a more prudent choice. Maybe he'll prove me wrong....

You're correct, by NFL standards, he's not making much money. On the other hand, if I could make even a 1/4 of what he's making, it would be life-changing! :)
0 x

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Vikings still have to add depth at offensive tackle

Post by Nunin » Thu May 04, 2017 9:49 am

Can you play tackle, Jim?
-
I can see it now: Vikings sign converted artist from Chicago for depth at tackle. High risk high reward and a feel good story.
He'll start out on the PS alongside the German Unicorn.
Spielman: 'The sky is the limit with this guy and we're particularly excited that he's happy to play for 1/4 of Clemming's salary, so, it was really a no brainer.'
0 x

Post Reply