Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings select RB Dalvin Cook, Florida St.

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote: I'm actually not too worried about the off field stuff, the more I read the more it sounds like it wasn't a huge deal. Some trouble in high school and acquitted (in 25 minutes) in college. Sounds like a lot of the negative press going around was by a "runner" that was supposedly false.

I'm more worried about his injuries and ball security.
I'm guessing you read the same article that I did (the one I posted). Sounds like we came away from it with very different impressions.

I won't go into the specifics, because I don't want to diminish anyone's enthusiasm. We'll see if it really was just the environment. I hope so.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Brian Murphy: Vikings reinforce the war room is no place for puritans
As the running backs with first-round pedigrees and scandalous rap sheets plunged deeper into the second round of Friday night’s NFL draft, their value surged, their suitors struck a deal and the Vikings reinforced the war room is no place for puritans.

Marching up seven rungs to No. 41 after swapping places with Cincinnati, Minnesota wisely passed on Oklahoma prospect Joe Mixon, the pariah who was videotaped punching a woman and fracturing several bones in her face three years ago.

Cincinnati used Minnesota’s original pick on Mixon, whose cynical redemption tour will invite scorn everywhere he and the Bengals travel.

There was no prohibitive red dot on general manager Rick Spielman’s draft board for Florida State’s Dalvin Cook, whose numerous run-ins with law enforcement resulted in zero convictions but have invited plenty of scrutiny.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I think a big thing not really being mentioned is that with Cook's selection, we are transitioning into a zone scheme - I love that. I have wanted this team to run a zone scheme for years. Cook's vision is his best attribute and if we can start the right personnel, we may have an effective rushing attack again.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I think a big thing not really being mentioned is that with Cook's selection, we are transitioning into a zone scheme - I love that. I have wanted this team to run a zone scheme for years. Cook's vision is his best attribute and if we can start the right personnel, we may have an effective rushing attack again.

I wonder if they're transitioning in that direction or not If so, Sparano seems an odd fit as OL coach, at least based on what I know about him.
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

While Cook is not a bad pick, he is no Mixon. Mixon was the best back in this draft.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Lose AD, draft a RB. Definitely didn't see this coming. Wait, it's exactly what you should expect from this GM.
And another huge steal? Fell in the draft! Wow! Wonder what the issues are? Ball security? Injuries? Off the field?
All of the above! Fantastic.

And drafting any RB this early? After seeing the overall value of the position in recent history?

:wallbang:
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Demi wrote:Lose AD, draft a RB. Definitely didn't see this coming. Wait, it's exactly what you should expect from this GM.
And another huge steal? Fell in the draft! Wow! Wonder what the issues are? Ball security? Injuries? Off the field?

And drafting any RB this early? After seeing the overall value of the position in recent history?

three were taken before him. His only blemish is the off the field nonsense. Dude is a beast
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Boon wrote: three were taken before him. His only blemish is the off the field nonsense. Dude is a beast
Remember, Demi can't be positive. If it happens, the Earth will crash into the sun soon.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:Lose AD, draft a RB. Definitely didn't see this coming. Wait, it's exactly what you should expect from this GM.

You would find a way to dislike this pick :roll:

I'm starting to think that no matter who Spielman picks, he's bad in your eyes. And that's exactly why I take what you say with a grain of salt
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Rock45 wrote:While Cook is not a bad pick, he is no Mixon. Mixon was the best back in this draft.
And exactly what does that matter? Reports on ESPN were than only four teams were even willing to talk to Joe Mixon, let alone draft him.

And now the Bengals are going to hand this guy a signing bonus check for more than $2 million? Gee, what's the over/under on the number of weeks before Mixon finds himself on another police blotter? Three? Four?

I love the drafting of Cook, whom most analysts are calling a second-round pick with first-round talent.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: And exactly what does that matter? Reports on ESPN were than only four teams were even willing to talk to Joe Mixon, let alone draft him.

And now the Bengals are going to hand this guy a signing bonus check for more than $2 million? Gee, what's the over/under on the number of weeks before Mixon finds himself on another police blotter? Three? Four?
It's probably not much different than the over/under that Cook will, considering his track record.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Knock off the good fan/bad fan stuff.

Disagree and respond to the post, do not attack the poster.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: It's probably not much different than the over/under that Cook will, considering his track record.
Cook hasn't had any problems since high school, according to Peter King, who says the college stuff comes from the unfounded rumor mill of a competitor agent's runner.

Hard to know what's true, but if I trust anybody in journalism, it's Peter King.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Cook hasn't had any problems since high school, according to Peter King, who says the college stuff comes from the unfounded rumor mill of a competitor agent's runner.

Hard to know what's true, but if I trust anybody in journalism, it's Peter King.
I trust him too but according to an article I read on King's MMQB site, Cook had run-ins with law enforcement on at least 3 occasions during his freshman year in college and during the summer before his sophomore year he was accused of punching a woman, was charged with assault and was then suspended from the team. He was found not guilty on the assault charge. There was reasonable doubt but he has a troubling history and it continued after high school. I think there's genuine cause for concern with this kid. He's just been in trouble too often, over too much time.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I expect Mixon to have temper problems a lot sooner then I have problems with Cook being an immature idiot and doing stupid things. Rick seemed to think Cook was serious when he said twice, he was leaving the Miami scene behind him. Going to be interesting to see which of the 2 turns out to be the better all around back in 4 or so years. Wonder how Bradford feels about the Cook pick.