Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MikethePurple
Veteran

Re: Vikings select C/G Pat Elflein, Ohio St.

Post by MikethePurple »

From what I read, Elflein had more success in his moves from G and C where Feeney struggled in positions outside of RG. Spielman has said how much they value versatility in position especially given all the injuries from last year. I'm guessing that played a large role in taking Elflein over Feeney.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

MikethePurple wrote:From what I read, Elflein had more success in his moves from G and C where Feeney struggled in positions outside of RG. Spielman has said how much they value versatility in position especially given all the injuries from last year. I'm guessing that played a large role in taking Elflein over Feeney.
Lieber lit up Feeney before the draft. He said he really gets no push, stands up out of his stance and wrestles with the defender. That's all fine in the right scheme, but doesn't sound like what Sparano was seeking last year anyway. Add in the concussions and Elfilein is much the better fit.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Glad we got a starting type offensive lineman. Not so sure about passing on Dan Feeney however. Time will tell, but I don't hate this pick.
If they really are transitioning to a zone blocking scheme, as you were wondering in another thread, Feeney might have been an ideal choice to play guard in that scheme. I'm happy with the Elflein pick though. He has the potential to excel in the middle of their line and I think he was a good value in R3 (Feeney would have been too).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: He played G and C there. I bet they start with the veteran at C and Elflein at G, if he wins the job.
It's also possible Berger is planning on retiring and Elflein and Easton will be competing to start at center.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: It's also possible Berger is planning on retiring and Elflein and Easton will be competing to start at center.
True. I'm hoping Berger would've decided already if he was going to retire, but you never know. One more year would be nice to help bridge the gap.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

So we drafted the second Center of the draft, in the third round. Is this guy a week 1 starter or no?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

720pete wrote:So we drafted the second Center of the draft, in the third round. Is this guy a week 1 starter or no?
Yes, I think so.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Liked this pick. I wish we'd have followed it up with another OL soon after instad of Gedeon.
Last edited by Texas Vike on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Glad we moved up to take Elflein (who Zimmer thought would be more of a center due to lack of size).

How bad was this year's OL class:

Gil Brandt: Only 10 OL taken in first 3 rounds -- tied for 2nd fewest in common draft era
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

From what I read about him he is smart and has a great work ethic and he started 40 consecutive games after a foot injury his first year. Sounds promising to me. I'm not thrilled with the state of the line but with how quick the ball comes out under Shurmur I feel they will be good enough.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@Andrew_Krammer
6h
Mike Zimmer: Pat Elflein will begin at center. Played guard before, but he's a really good center.
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

Great pick. Best pick they made.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Rock45 wrote:Great pick. Best pick they made.
I think you might be right about this. Vikings finally get an anchor for this OL. Reminds me of when the Vikings picked up Linval on the other side.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: It's also possible Berger is planning on retiring and Elflein and Easton will be competing to start at center.
Have you heard something, Jim?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Have you heard something, Jim?
I've heard a few unsubstantiated rumors but he tossed out the idea of retirement a couple of years ago and I think he said early this offseason that he had some thinking to do. He missed time with a concussion last year and he turns 35 next month so I'm thinking it's a possibility.