Top 16 remaining

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Top 16 remaining

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Last edited by PurpleKoolaid on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

If Dan Feeney is on the board I suspect we will take him. In an ordinary draft Feeney would be a third rounder but this is anything but an ordinary year for OL. Probably the worst group of OL in the last decade or so of drafts. There is no way either Bolles (#20) or Ramczyk (#32) would have been first rounders in years past. Lots of teams still need OL help so we end up with demand outstripping supply and that will likely result in reaches all over the place in rounds 2-3 for OL.

It is a shame that the year we have to fill huge holes in our OL is the same year that the draft is at a low point for OL. That in part explains why Spielman had his hand forced in free agency and we ended up badly over-paying for Reiff and Remmers.

When it comes to selecting OL this year best thing Spielman can do is ask Sparano for his advice and then do the opposite. Otherwise we risk getting Willie Beavers II.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think the odds of an OL they draft actually starting are marginal at best, even in the 2nd round. That has just been the trend in the NFL recently. A guard might buck that trend due to our lack of bodies at RG on the roster, but even that is probably a stretch.

I wonder if they are going to grab one of the Safeties? I can't recall the last time we saw draft this deep at that position and this coaching staff should have the ability to get the most out of that talent.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:I think the odds of an OL they draft actually starting are marginal at best, even in the 2nd round. That has just been the trend in the NFL recently. A guard might buck that trend due to our lack of bodies at RG on the roster, but even that is probably a stretch.
I don't think it's a stretch at all. Rookie o-lineman are still starting every year in the NFL and some of them are doing a good job. The trend doesn't apply universally. It depends on their level of experience, what kind of offense they were playing in during college, etc. (and on talent, of course).

If they draft a guard in R2, he'll probably have an excellent chance to be a starter on their line in 2017, especially if he's not a converted tackle trying to adjust to a new position.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: I don't think it's a stretch at all. Rookie o-lineman are still starting every year in the NFL and some of them are doing a good job. The trend doesn't apply universally. It depends on their level of experience, what kind of offense they were playing in during college, etc. (and on talent, of course).

If they draft a guard in R2, he'll probably have an excellent chance to be a starter on their line in 2017, especially if he's not a converted tackle trying to adjust to a new position.
Jim, you'll like this article on the topic:
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/25/15358 ... ce=twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

If we take an OG at #48 and he can't beat out Sirles, Kerin or Beavers then we should pass and go with BPA at a different position. Just hope Spielman isn't locked into to taking the best OL at #48 to make up for deficiencies of the past.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Jim, you'll like this article on the topic:
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/25/15358 ... ce=twitter
You're right, I did like it. That was genuinely informative work from Mr. Schwartz. Thanks for the link!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: You're right, I did like it. That was genuinely informative work from Mr. Schwartz. Thanks for the link!
That was good. i still think the future of NFL linemen is going to be Mike Remmers, Jeremiah Sirles, and the like. Guys who develop via practice squad, and who are going to take 4-5 years to get fully up to speed. Other than the pro-style offenses, the league is going to HAVE to be patient with OL play. Taking those guys that have been on practicie squads, honing their craft, is a better bet than sticking with trying to draft immediate impact guys outside of those programs who produce them with regularity.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins