Peterson headed to free agency

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Peterson headed to free agency

Post by 808vikingsfan »

What's the single game rushing record?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PulseOfTheFan wrote:Ending of an era in Minnesota. To me, there have been three eras over the last 20 years. The Randy Moss/Cris Carter fun and gun era, the riverboat/not that great on the field era, and the Adrian Peterson era.

What is the next era?
Nice observation.

I hope it's the dominant D era, with Bradford leading a diverse attack on O. If we draft Mixon, it may become the Joe Mixon Era. I'm unsure what to think of that prospect though.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote:What's the single game rushing record?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Nice observation.

I hope it's the dominant D era, with Bradford leading a diverse attack on O. If we draft Mixon, it may become the Joe Mixon Era. I'm unsure what to think of that prospect though.
My first thought when reading the question was that's where it's heading (ie: an era defined by the defense).
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

On the one hand, I wish Adrian Peterson well, and hope he enjoys some success in the twilight of his career. He was a brilliant player and a great Viking.

On the other hand, in Week 1, I hope he whiffs in pass protection leading to multiple sacks, fumbles twice, drops three passes and runs 12 times for 6 yards.

SKOL.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: My first thought when reading the question was that's where it's heading (ie: an era defined by the defense).

Something tells me that the defensive lapse we saw post-bye had to do with the psychological stress of Norv's departure and the eye issue (which were likely related, honestly, as a psychosomatic reaction).

I expect Zimmer's D to come back hard this season. I also would not be surprised by a rather high selection of a DT to replace Floyd.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote: 296

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks. Here's to hoping it doesn't get broken Week 1.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Chris Tomasson‏
@christomasson

Follow

The very good website http://overthecap.com reports Adrian Peterson signing with Saints should get #Vikings 6th-round compensatory pick
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Yeah AD Lets see some of that fumblitist in Week one
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Thanks. Here's to hoping it doesn't get broken Week 1.
I'll personally run on the field and tackle him before that happens. Ok, there's no way I can tackle him. I'll personally run on the field and get tazed before that happens.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Something tells me that the defensive lapse we saw post-bye had to do with the psychological stress of Norv's departure and the eye issue (which were likely related, honestly, as a psychosomatic reaction).
While I wish I could attribute it to such factors. I can't bring myself to do so for several reasons:

The breakdowns began before Norv's departure

The defense played arguably it's best game after the bye (against Dallas) with Zimmer in the hospital so I have a hard time believing his eye issues do much to explain sub-par performances, although they certainly could have been a contributing factor. That had to weigh on his mind and be a distraction.

My main reason is simply that the breakdowns weren't new or unique to last season. We've seen Zimmer's defenses get run over by opposing running games before. We've seen them suffer blowout losses every year under Zimmer. In fact, the Vikes have suffered double-digit losses to Green Bay in each of the last 3 seasons , allowing 30 or more points in each of those losses.

That's how I see it anyway. YMMV.
I expect Zimmer's D to come back hard this season. I also would not be surprised by a rather high selection of a DT to replace Floyd.
That wouldn't surprise me either.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Grashopa wrote:I really hope that Peterson doesn't get the better of us week one (aside from that i hope that he has a good rest of his career). I have a feeling that there are a lot of players on our defense that are very eager for the opportunity to hit Peterson.
I don't care if he runs 300 yards if the Vikings win.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

If nothing else, we know he's running decoy if he is in on third and long.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: While I wish I could attribute it to such factors. I can't bring myself to do so for several reasons:

The breakdowns began before Norv's departure

The defense played arguably it's best game after the bye (against Dallas) with Zimmer in the hospital so I have a hard time believing his eye issues do much to explain sub-par performances, although they certainly could have been a contributing factor. That had to weigh on his mind and be a distraction.

My main reason is simply that the breakdowns weren't new or unique to last season. We've seen Zimmer's defenses get run over by opposing running games before. We've seen them suffer blowout losses every year under Zimmer. In fact, the Vikes have suffered double-digit losses to Green Bay in each of the last 3 seasons , allowing 30 or more points in each of those losses.

That's how I see it anyway. YMMV.
Well, I guess I could have been more precise with my language. :D

I don't think the high stress began the minute Norv left; I'm guessing that Norv left after things had gotten pretty tense. It would be pretty jejune to think otherwise. (Word of the day for VMB: "Jejune" :lol: )

My memory is shoddy, but the general arc I recall with our D was that the latter half of the 2015 season showed steady improvement. Similarly, we started out the 2016 season looking very dominant. After Norv-gate and the eye issue, the D just looked less focused. I don't think it is far fetched to think that may be due to their leader being less than 100% devoted to the task at hand.

Your points are valid--they have never been so consistent that they don't have a soft game, but, the trajectory had been sharply up until life got very complicated for our coach. If I'm wrong, we'll see more wayward play this year even when the seas are no longer rough.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Well, I guess I could have been more precise with my language. :D

I don't think the high stress began the minute Norv left; I'm guessing that Norv left after things had gotten pretty tense. It would be pretty jejune to think otherwise. (Word of the day for VMB: "Jejune" :lol: )

:lol:

Sure, I understand what you mean. Tensions had to be building prior to his departure.
My memory is shoddy, but the general arc I recall with our D was that the latter half of the 2015 season showed steady improvement. Similarly, we started out the 2016 season looking very dominant. After Norv-gate and the eye issue, the D just looked less focused. I don't think it is far fetched to think that may be due to their leader being less than 100% devoted to the task at hand.
I certainly think it was a factor that likely contributed to or exasperated their problems. I suspect these things are rarely due to one or two factors alone so it's probably smart to just throw it all into the mix. A team (or a defense) is a complex "system" so I imagine there's a cumulative impact felt from all the various things that go awry during a season.
Your points are valid--they have never been so consistent that they don't have a soft game, but, the trajectory had been sharply up until life got very complicated for our coach. If I'm wrong, we'll see more wayward play this year even when the seas are no longer rough.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them come on strong. They should be tested early with games against last year's #1 and #7-ranked offenses in weeks 1 and 2.