Peterson headed to free agency

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Peterson headed to free agency

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Im also afraid, when he find out near the start of the new season, and he didnt get a big contract, hes going to blame it all on the Vikings. When he has made so much money here. I honestly would rather pick up some later round draft pick like Hunt, then even give AD a 3-4 million dollar contract. Would love to see a Mixon/Murray tandom but I doubt that happens.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I suspect the events of 2014 make Peterson less appealing to some teams.

I expected this to play out more or less the way it has and I honestly don't think it really matters since he'll probably find his way onto a team and then it's how he performs on the field that will matter. After getting a little older and suffering another injury last season, it's not clear what he'll still be able to do but we're only one season removed from a 1400+ yard performance that led the league in rushing and yielded TDs in the double digits. I doubt the 2015 Vikings would have even sniffed the playoffs without his performance that year. The difference between a team making or missing the postseason seems pretty darn valuable to me and he wouldn't have to make as much difference to a team in 2017 to still be quite valuable. Put him on the right roster and I'm betting he has at least one more 1000+ yard, 10+ TD season in him.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out but I wish him well.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The Saints and Packers, don't they run out of the shotgun a lot? Doesn't seem like a good fit for either team
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

It would still not surprise me if he stayed here. I am not impressed with McKinnon and we can get rid of him for all I care.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

From Peter King:
Adrian Peterson might wait (or have to wait) until after the draft to sign. But the good sign, I hear, is that he’s willing to play for a reasonable sum for a 32-year-old back with two washout seasons in the past three years. I hear in the right situation he would be willing to play for $5 million or less. He’s had a few visits, the most recent of which was New Orleans, which could hold some fascination because of the proximity to Peterson’s Houston home, and because Sean Payton would know well how to use him. But right now I’m told there’s no leader in the clubhouse. After the draft is smarter for him and for teams, because that’s when teams can see most clearly their needs.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I still think he ends up on the Giants on a two year deal. Then after that deal expires, he looks to go "home" to end his career on a part-time role, either in Hou or Dal. With NY passing game, he would be pretty effective, one would think. All of the other teams being mentioned still have other top backs on their team (assuming Lynch signs with Oak).
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

cmoss84 wrote:I still think he ends up on the Giants on a two year deal. Then after that deal expires, he looks to go "home" to end his career on a part-time role, either in Hou or Dal. With NY passing game, he would be pretty effective, one would think. All of the other teams being mentioned still have other top backs on their team (assuming Lynch signs with Oak).
Tampa seems the natural fit to me at this point.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Week 1 vs. the Saints might have just gotten really interesting (not that it wasn't a great game from the beginning). Looks like AP is going to sign and split time with Ingram.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account
@RapSheet

Sources: #Saints & Adrian Peterson believed to be closing in on a deal that’d pay him $3M+ in ’17. Not done, but moving in that direction.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote:
He must have finally woke up nd realized he wasn't going to be a full time back anymore. I still question how he will be used by NO because Brees is on the shotgun a lot.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: He must have finally woke up nd realized he wasn't going to be a full time back anymore. I still question how he will be used by NO because Brees is on the shotgun a lot.
They've always done a fair amount of power running and it's not like he can't play from the shotgun. He might do much better running out of it on a team where defenses will have to actually respect it as a passing formation instead of just keying on him anyway.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Didn't want to see him go to the Packers, Seahawks, or the Saints. And he goes to the Saints. Short Memory Sean Patton, Didn't AD get Fumble happy n the NFC championship game in New Orleans. I always though it was ironic or Ego driven that a RB who Fumbles in Key Game Moments Walks around Shaking peoples hand with a Death Grip.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Laserman wrote:Didn't want to see him go to the Packers, Seahawks, or the Saints. And he goes to the Saints. Short Memory Sean Patton, Didn't AD get Fumble happy n the NFC championship game in New Orleans. I always though it was ironic or Ego driven that a RB who Fumbles in Key Game Moments Walks around Shaking peoples hand with a Death Grip.
From a Vikings fan perspective, its a great fit. He probably won't be the lead back, he isn't a system fit, and he probably won't put up huge numbers in their offense which would lead to massive second guessing. Also, he's not in division or on a team that is a real rival. I'm sure the Wilfs are happy that he is in New Orleans.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It's official. Peterson is a Saint.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... r-contract
The face of the Minnesota Vikings for a decade finalized a two-year deal with the New Orleans Saints that will pay Peterson $7 million, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via a source informed of the situation. The deal included $3.5 million guaranteed in 2017. Rapoport added the Saints were the only team to formally offer a deal to Peterson this offseason.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

The NFL wins because ratings for the opening MNF game just doubled!!!!!

Well we've debated on here for years whether AD could be successful in a shotgun offense. At least we should get a lot of data to evaluate next year :D