View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:32 am



Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit! 
Author Message
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm
Posts: 212
Post 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Vikings 2017 Schedule
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/2 ... 18cfb9856b
Week 1: Monday, Sept. 11 | New Orleans | ESPN | 6:10 p.m.

Week 2: Sunday, Sept. 17 | at Pittsburgh | FOX | Noon

Week 3: Sunday, Sept. 24 | Tampa Bay | FOX | Noon

Week 4: Sunday, Oct. 1 | Detroit | FOX | Noon

Week 5: Monday, Oct. 9 | at Chicago | ESPN | 7:30 p.m.

Week 6: Sunday, Oct. 15 | Green Bay | FOX | Noon*

Week 7: Sunday, Oct. 22 | Baltimore | CBS | Noon*

Week 8: Sunday, Oct. 29 | at Cleveland (in London) | NFLN | 8:30 a.m.

Week 9: Sunday, Nov. 5 | BYE

Week 10: Sunday, Nov. 12 | at Washington | FOX | Noon*

Week 11: Sunday, Nov. 19 | Los Angeles Rams | FOX | Noon*

Week 12: Thursday, Nov. 23 | at Detroit | FOX | 11:30 a.m.

Week 13: Sunday, Dec. 3 | at Atlanta | FOX | Noon*

Week 14: Sunday, Dec. 10 | at Carolina | CBS | Noon*

Week 15: Sunday, Dec. 17 | Cincinnati | CBS | Noon*

Week 16: Saturday, Dec. 23 | at Green Bay | NBC | 7:30 p.m.

Week 17: Sunday, Dec. 31 | Chicago | FOX | Noon*

(All times are Central; *Time subject to change due to flexible scheduling)


Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17292
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Why do we keep playing in GB at the end of the season? It seems like the schedule makers are in a rut lately.

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4262
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Loving the home opener. Should be a good test for us

_________________
Image


Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:06 pm
Posts: 1236
Location: New Hope, MN
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
I'm counting four prime time games? Not bad. It'll be an interesting season.


Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11300
Location: California
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
December and the last game in November are going
to be a real test. Three road games in a row. Green Bay
on the road after one home game

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:57 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Why do we keep playing in GB at the end of the season? It seems like the schedule makers are in a rut lately.


The last two weeks of the season focus on divisional match-ups. Plus, the schedule-makers are clearly hoping that late season game will have high stakes since it's on SNF.


Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10358
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Damn I was hoping they'd have a home game on the 8th since the following Monday is a federal holiday. Or a Thursday home game. Now I don't know which game to watch...


Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6195
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Wow. This is a not an easy schedule.

A lot hinges on the early home games. The Saints, Bucs and Lions are all beatable -- but they're all capable of beating us. Pittsburgh is going to be really, really hard to beat on the road.

Glad to finally have a home opener after four straight years of opening on the road.

_________________
Image


Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:11 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7498
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Going to hard to finish stong the end of this season, unless Rick actually does his job during the off-season.


Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:45 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:28 pm
Posts: 534
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
27th in sos, im not buying it. Afc north at pitt. Then at wash, at atlanta, at carolina , opening with the always dangerous saints, ravens, bengals, up and coming tampa. This will not be easy


Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 1345
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Wow. This is a not an easy schedule.

A lot hinges on the early home games. The Saints, Bucs and Lions are all beatable -- but they're all capable of beating us. Pittsburgh is going to be really, really hard to beat on the road.

Glad to finally have a home opener after four straight years of opening on the road.

I do like the fact that the Pittsburgh game is early in the season. There are plenty of winnable games for the Vikings to squander. :roll: :D

_________________
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter


Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:08 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 pm
Posts: 1345
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Not delving into the sked completely yet but as usual there will be a Midwest bias against nfc north viewers. There will be a giants or Philly game instead of Vikings or a Lions game. I guarantee you that there more Vikings fans here in Cbus than giants or Philly fans. If not those games, the geniuses will flip the viewing to include the afc north on fox thus superseding any decent nfc north matchup.
May the parasites of a thousand camels fly up their noses.

_________________
Image
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter


Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:20 am
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2093
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
bleacherreport: 2017 NFL Schedule: W-L Predictions for Every Team


Quote:
After starting off 2016 with a 5-0 record, the Minnesota Vikings totally plummeted, losing eight of their next 11 games.

What was the catalyst for the Vikings' failures? Offensive line woes.

Sure, Sam Bradford isn't the greatest quarterback in the league (though he did have an otherworldly completion percentage in 2016), but the Vikings offensive line was just awful—it seemed like they used 18 million different combinations and none of them were any good.

It's clear the Vikings brass noticed, as the team brought in two offensive tackles: Riley Reiff and Mike Remmers.

2016 was also the final season of the Adrian Peterson era.

As a result, the Vikings picked up former Oakland Raiders running back Latavius Murray to fill the void.

With additions, there are subtractions, of course, but for the Vikings, they didn't lose anyone all that important—all replaceable.

The Vikings are an average team in a pretty tough division headed by the Green Bay Packers with the Detroit Lions right there, too.

Fortunately, the Chicago Bears are in the same division.



Toughest game: at Atlanta Falcons (Week 13)

This was a tough call between the Atlanta Falcons and Pittsburgh Steelers, but the Falcons have just as good an offense (if not better) than the Steelers and their defense is better, too.

The defending NFC champs will give this Vikings new-look offensive line all it can handle while Matt Ryan and Julio Jones obliterate this Vikings defense.



Prove-it games: vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Week 3)

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers at home is a game the Minnesota Vikings can win, but the Bucs present an interesting challenge.

With a stout secondary, the Vikings should be able to create some issues for Bucs quarterback Jameis Winston.

However, the Bucs pass rush consisting of Gerald McCoy, Chris Baker, William Gholston and Robert Ayers (among others) will likely give the Vikings trouble—their offensive line is still far from perfect.

It's always big to beat a team that's of similar quality.



2017 record prediction: 7-9

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:38 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
From Ben Goessling:

2017 Minnesota Vikings game-by-game predictions

He has them going 2-4 in the division (sweeping the Bears, swept by GB and DET) and 8-8 overall.


Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:42 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3185
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
This schedule has the potential to be challenging or very soft. My opinion is that right now it has a slight bias towards soft. Most of this schedule is against teams that had between 6 and 9 wins last year, like us. Ultimately the question is who over achieved last year (My vote is Detroit) and who underachieved. Who continues to slide or stay the same and who turns it around?

As has been the debate all season: Are the Viking a team on the cusp of a run or is the window closed and are we on a downward spiral? If we are spiraling then why bother? If they are on the cusp of a run, then this schedule is very favorable.

Only six games against playoff teams and two of those are the Lions. The Pittsburgh game will be interesting. That is a good time to get them as their offense will not yet be in mid-season form, I expect a competitive game. The Atlanta game is an obvious test. Green Bay is Green Bay, nothing new there.

The only real "titan" on the schedule is Atlanta. Pittsburgh and GB are close seconds, but both are teams that got routed in their respective conference championship games. They are good teams, but not on par with Atlanta.

Also, we are not playing any of the other truly elite NFL defenses. Based on last year's stats the only top 5 scoring defense on the schedule is ours. PIT, CIN, BAL were in the top 10 for scoring defense. DET was #13. (Ironically Dallas was #4 and their defense was / is pathetic, more proof of scoring efficacy driving defensive stats, but I digress...)

The big question is who of the 6-9 win bunch takes a step this year if anyone. I think of all the teams in that category, the Vikings have the roster to make the biggest move, but I'm biased. Every year a team in the NFL turns it around. There is a good chance one of those teams in our schedule IMO.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:52 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:28 pm
Posts: 534
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
I have a gut feeling this team will surprise people this year. just a hunch. Not expecting much but I think something is going to click overall and I never feel like it is. Pretty optimistic. Just need a mediocre offense to win the division lol


Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:56 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3185
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Mothman wrote:
From Ben Goessling:

2017 Minnesota Vikings game-by-game predictions

He has them going 2-4 in the division (sweeping the Bears, swept by GB and DET) and 8-8 overall.



I find Gosslings take to be ridiculous. Right now it is probably safe to assume that everything will be equal to last year in terms of players that were in purple last season. So based on what actually changed, this take implies an assumption that Reiff/ Remmers will be as bad or worse than Clemmings /Sirles and that Latavius Murray will not be an improvement over McKinnon/Asiata.

Regardles of if you think Reiff/Remmers will be pedestrian at best or something more, there is no plausible reason barring unforeseen injuries to think that Reiff/Remmers are going to be as bad as the tackle play we saw last season. I do know how many more wins that will equal, but there is no way it is the same.

It is all conjecture at this point, we haven't even had the draft yet, but I find takes like this to be silly. Does anyone here think Reiff will play at the same level as TJ Clemmings?

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3185
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Boon wrote:
I have a gut feeling this team will surprise people this year. just a hunch. Not expecting much but I think something is going to click overall and I never feel like it is. Pretty optimistic. Just need a mediocre offense to win the division lol


That is the positive of the bad press. We fly under the radar. Obviously the TV Network and NFL Schedulers do not think this team will be a bottom feeder given the 4 prime time games.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:09 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 6590
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Holy hell those first four weeks could be brutal. We have to play two top-five offenses, one top-ten offense, and one top-fifthteen offense. With the way the defense regressed down the season too?

I see a 9-7 season. The draft might change my opinion by a game or two however.

_________________
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.


Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 am
Profile
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm
Posts: 212
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Holy hell those first four weeks could be brutal. We have to play two top-five offenses, one top-ten offense, and one top-fifthteen offense. With the way the defense regressed down the season too?

I see a 9-7 season. The draft might change my opinion by a game or two however.


I see 11-5 or 12-4. Honestly, either is doable. And they owe BOTH Detroit and Chicago.

If the D plays a complete season this time the O will carry it's weight. Bradford is going to explode and Murray + rookie back + rookie TE/wr + Treadwell year 2.


This team is going to surprise everyone... Mark it down.


Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
mansquatch wrote:
I find Gosslings take to be ridiculous. Right now it is probably safe to assume that everything will be equal to last year in terms of players that were in purple last season. So based on what actually changed, this take implies an assumption that Reiff/ Remmers will be as bad or worse than Clemmings /Sirles and that Latavius Murray will not be an improvement over McKinnon/Asiata.


I think it simply implies a different view of the team. Remember, not all of us think the Vikings slide last year was simply attributable to poor OL or tackle play. I certainly don't believe that. The defense wasn't the same unit after the bye week. The passing game had other issues.

I don't think Goessling's take is sillier than any other prediction of how the entire schedule will play out at this point. It's obviously early so when you get right down to it, the exercise is silly on it's surface. However, it looks to me like the Vikes are steering a straight course into continued mediocrity. Barring a Rookie of the Year-like impact from someone they draft or the unexpected emergence of someone on offense into a star, I expect them to finish somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7.


Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:56 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3185
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Mothman wrote:
I think it simply implies a different view of the team. Remember, not all of us think the Vikings slide last year was simply attributable to poor OL or tackle play. I certainly don't believe that. The defense wasn't the same unit after the bye week. The passing game had other issues.

I don't think Goessling's take is sillier than any other prediction of how the entire schedule will play out at this point. It's obviously early so when you get right down to it, the exercise is silly on it's surface. However, it looks to me like the Vikes are steering a straight course into continued mediocrity. Barring a Rookie of the Year-like impact from someone they draft or the unexpected emergence of someone on offense into a star, I expect them to finish somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7.


Jim you are missing the simplicity of my point. My point was that this team, like it or not, went 8-8 last year. The only changes made as of right now are those made in Free Agency. So if your conclusion is that we are going to go 8-8, then the implication is that the Free Agents additions are a push with what we had at those positions last season. I find THAT to be ridiculous.

Alternatively, if you feel that the roster after free agency is only 8-8, but that the Free Agents were net positives, then you are concluding that other existing players are going to degrade enough to offset the improvement of the Free Agents. Given that one of the guys replaced was TJ Clemmings, I find that to also be ridiculous.

I do not find it plausible that after adding those two tackles this roster is equal to what we finished 8-8 with last year.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:14 am
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
mansquatch wrote:
Jim you are missing the simplicity of my point. My point was that this team, like it or not, went 8-8 last year. The only changes made as of right now are those made in Free Agency. So if your conclusion is that we are going to go 8-8, then the implication is that the Free Agents additions are a push with what we had at those positions last season. I find THAT to be ridiculous.


I didn't miss your point. I just don't think football works as simply or smoothly as you're describing. If it did, we'd see far more teams steadily improve year after year because it often looks as if they're shedding expendable players and upgrading in free agency but on the field, each season presents different challenges, new adversity, etc.

They went 8-8 last year but they went 3-8 over the last 11 games. That's easy to overlook if you're inclined to do so but I'm not. They started the season looking like one of the league's best teams but after the bye in week 6, they were one of it's worst, with 2 of their remaining 3 wins coming against the worst.

Quote:
Alternatively, if you feel that the roster after free agency is only 8-8, but that the Free Agents were net positives, then you are concluding that other existing players are going to degrade enough to offset the improvement of the Free Agents. Given that one of the guys replaced was TJ Clemmings, I find that to also be ridiculous.

I do not find it plausible that after adding those two tackles this roster is equal to what we finished 8-8 with last year.


... and I don't find it likely that adding Reiff and Remmers automatically equates to several more wins. Neither one of them is exactly a world-beater at his position.

If I understand correctly, you're looking at what you consider improvement at a few individual positions on a unit you largely blame for the team's struggles last season and thinking that, all else being equal, that should translate into an overall improvement in the W/L column. Maybe you'll be right about that. However, I see average-to-below average players being added to an average-to-below average team and I doubt that's going to translate into more than continued average performance. In all likelihood, we're reaching different conclusions because we're starting from different perceptions of the team and Goessling probably has a different perception too. Personally, I don't think the Vikings have an elite defense. I don't think the 5-0 Vikes were the "real" Vikes. I don't believe they have great coaching and I don't think the OL was THE reason they struggled last year. It was a significant reason, but they had other issues. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth with those last few comments. I'm just speaking to attitudes and opinions I've seen expressed by some of the more optimistic fans on the board and currently, I'm not among those optimists.

We'll see what the draft brings and then we'll see what the season brings but I don't think anybody predicting an 8-8 record from a team that finished 3-8 last year is being silly. Its reasonable.


Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:43 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4262
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
I think it's pretty pointless right now to make any kind of predictions because you don't know what the draft is going to bring

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:19 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10358
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
RFIP wrote:
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Holy hell those first four weeks could be brutal. We have to play two top-five offenses, one top-ten offense, and one top-fifthteen offense. With the way the defense regressed down the season too?

I see a 9-7 season. The draft might change my opinion by a game or two however.


I see 11-5 or 12-4. Honestly, either is doable. And they owe BOTH Detroit and Chicago.

If the D plays a complete season this time the O will carry it's weight. Bradford is going to explode and Murray + rookie back + rookie TE/wr + Treadwell year 2.


This team is going to surprise everyone... Mark it down.


I'm with you on this. I feel they have the pieces to be a top tier team this year.


Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:26 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6195
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Mothman wrote:
We'll see what the draft brings and then we'll see what the season brings but I don't think anybody predicting an 8-8 record from a team that finished 3-8 last year is being silly. Its reasonable.

Why do you discount the Vikings' 5-0 start? You keep doing this, as if those games didn't count. They beat the Packers, a playoff team. They beat Houston, a playoff team. They beat Carolina, the defending NFC champions. They beat the Giants, whom many are picking to be a good team. Even Tennessee ended up being an up-and-coming team that people expect great things out of.

I'm not saying the 3-8 finish isn't cause for concern. But the Vikings didn't go 3-8. They went 8-8.

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:21 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Mothman wrote:
We'll see what the draft brings and then we'll see what the season brings but I don't think anybody predicting an 8-8 record from a team that finished 3-8 last year is being silly. Its reasonable.

Why do you discount the Vikings' 5-0 start? You keep doing this, as if those games didn't count. They beat the Packers, a playoff team. They beat Houston, a playoff team. They beat Carolina, the defending NFC champions. They beat the Giants, whom many are picking to be a good team. Even Tennessee ended up being an up-and-coming team that people expect great things out of.

I'm not saying the 3-8 finish isn't cause for concern. But the Vikings didn't go 3-8. They went 8-8.


Yes, that's why I don't think it's silly when a Vikings beat writer predicts the same record for next season and please note, I wrote that I expect them to finish within a game of .500. I'm not expecting them to be awful.

I don't discount their 5-0 start and I've never suggested those games don't count. However, I said even as it was happening that the way they were winning probably wasn't sustainable. They were relying too heavily on returns and turnovers. The defense was playing at a level that was going to be incredibly difficult to maintain as the season progressed and as we saw, they couldn't maintain it. Put simply, I think they were overachieving early in the season.

I'm all too aware they were 8-8 and I keep bringing the 3-8 finish up because I sense that's being discounted and because their trend for the season was downward, which concerns me. If they had started 3-8 but finished with an impressive 5-0 run, I'd probably be feeling a lot more encouraged.


Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:03 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6195
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
Mothman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Mothman wrote:
We'll see what the draft brings and then we'll see what the season brings but I don't think anybody predicting an 8-8 record from a team that finished 3-8 last year is being silly. Its reasonable.

Why do you discount the Vikings' 5-0 start? You keep doing this, as if those games didn't count. They beat the Packers, a playoff team. They beat Houston, a playoff team. They beat Carolina, the defending NFC champions. They beat the Giants, whom many are picking to be a good team. Even Tennessee ended up being an up-and-coming team that people expect great things out of.

I'm not saying the 3-8 finish isn't cause for concern. But the Vikings didn't go 3-8. They went 8-8.


Yes, that's why I don't think it's silly when a Vikings beat writer predicts the same record for next season and please note, I wrote that I expect them to finish within a game of .500. I'm not expecting them to be awful.

I don't discount their 5-0 start and I've never suggested those games don't count. However, I said even as it was happening that the way they were winning probably wasn't sustainable. They were relying too heavily on returns and turnovers. The defense was playing at a level that was going to be incredibly difficult to maintain as the season progressed and as we saw, they couldn't maintain it. Put simply, I think they were overachieving early in the season.

I'm all too aware they were 8-8 and I keep bringing the 3-8 finish up because I sense that's being discounted and because their trend for the season was downward, which concerns me. If they had started 3-8 but finished with an impressive 5-0 run, I'd probably be feeling a lot more encouraged.

We'll disagree on the early-season success and whether it was sustainable, but it's all a matter of opinion, and I respect yours.

By contrast, here's what I saw.

Against the Bears and Colts, the Vikings laid an egg. Horrible, disappointing performances. No chance of winning. Same with the Packers at Lambeau. Those three games were losses no matter how you look at it.

The other five losses could have gone either way. Could have beaten Dallas, probably SHOULD have beaten Detroit both times, and we had Philly on the ropes early and let them off the hook because the offense couldn't put the ball in the end zone from 20 yards out TWICE. Put up 20 points in the first half against the Redskins before the offense decided to hibernate. In every case, the Vikings could have won if the offense had been even slightly productive.

Green Bay won the division with 10 wins. With any kind of offensive line play, the Vikings easily could have matched that total.

Anyway, I just view the season a little differently than you. It could have been another playoff appearance. Actually, it should have been IMO. But I can also see your point of view.

As for predictions, journalists might as well write them on toilet paper. They're worthless, especially in April.

_________________
Image


Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:41 pm
Profile
Defensive Tackle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 37200
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
We'll disagree on the early-season success and whether it was sustainable, but it's all a matter of opinion, and I respect yours.


Thank you. I respect yours as well.

Quote:
By contrast, here's what I saw.

Against the Bears and Colts, the Vikings laid an egg. Horrible, disappointing performances. No chance of winning. Same with the Packers at Lambeau. Those three games were losses no matter how you look at it.

The other five losses could have gone either way. Could have beaten Dallas, probably SHOULD have beaten Detroit both times, and we had Philly on the ropes early and let them off the hook because the offense couldn't put the ball in the end zone from 20 yards out TWICE. Put up 20 points in the first half against the Redskins before the offense decided to hibernate. In every case, the Vikings could have won if the offense had been even slightly productive.

Green Bay won the division with 10 wins. With any kind of offensive line play, the Vikings easily could have matched that total.

Anyway, I just view the season a little differently than you. It could have been another playoff appearance. Actually, it should have been IMO. But I can also see your point of view.


I see yours too and it may surprise you to learn the view you expressed above isn't much different than mine. I agree: they lost several games that could have gone the other way. Had they won them, they could have returned to the playoffs but as we both know, they didn't win them. They ended up 8-8. They've had many seasons where they lost close games and missed the playoffs when a few of those games could have put them in the postseason but that's what mediocre teams do: they hover near the middle. It sounds harsh but it's the truth. Sometimes enough goes right for them to get to the wild card round. Sometimes enough goes wrong that they end up with a losing season or at .500 but most of the time, they're playing within that range.

I seem to come at the same information from a different angle than many Vikes fans here and I sometimes wonder if that creates the illusion of more disagreement than actually exists.Once the results are in the books I tend to focus on those established outcomes much more than the wouldas, couldas and shouldas. I got tired of moral victories for the Vikings a long time ago.

Quote:
As for predictions, journalists might as well write them on toilet paper. They're worthless, especially in April.


I said more or less the same thing upthread in response to mansquatch.


Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:06 pm
Profile
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm
Posts: 212
Post Re: 2017 Vikings Schedule!! Turkey Day AGAIN at Detroit!
akvikingsfan wrote:
I'm counting four prime time games? Not bad. It'll be an interesting season.


I got 3 Prime time games. The London game is in the morning.


Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:16 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.