2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:
It depends on how you look at it but quite honestly, the answer is probably yes. :) His initial presence on the Vikings arguably had more to do with geography than scouting. If he hadn't attended Minnesota State in Mankato and then, after going undrafted, participated in a 3 day rookie tryout to earn a chance at being a "camp body" and subsequently, practice squad player, would he even be a Viking? If he'd gone to school in California or Arkansas, probably not. The guy basically fought his own way onto the roster and up the depth chart.
That's a good point although I think the Vikings sticking with him wasn't luck. We've seen guys fight onto the roster but not really stick around. If Rick is going to be criticized for not moving on from a 1st round pick fast enough (i.e. Kalil) then the opposite for an UDFA should also be true.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:That's a good point although I think the Vikings sticking with him wasn't luck.

No, of course not.
We've seen guys fight onto the roster but not really stick around. If Rick is going to be criticized for not moving on from a 1st round pick fast enough (i.e. Kalil) then the opposite for an UDFA should also be true.
Sure, and I think he does get credit for that but we're comparing apples to cantaloupes. PurpleKoolAid's point was about trusting Rick Spielman's judgment in the draft, particularly when selecting a WR in the first round. As an undrafted WR, Thielen just doesn't have much to do with Rick's judgment in the draft.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: Rick on draft day:

Don't screw up, Rick.
:lol: :rofl:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

S197 wrote: Was Thielen luck as well?
I would like to know what credit Rick deserves for Thielen? I really don't think it was luck that Thielen made the roster. I was seeing hard work, confidence, and determination from Thielen. Too bad the 1st round wr picks seem to lack some of these qualities. But I am not sure what credit Rick deserves.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote: Was Thielen luck as well?
Yeah. Luck being they actually put him on the field to play.
Rick does not have a good record with Olinemen, QB's, or WRs IMO. Even back when he was VP of player personal.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-draf ... 415781003/

Interesting mock of the Viking's picks. Feeny and Garcia (OT, Troy) are top two picks.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:

No, of course not.
Sure, and I think he does get credit for that but we're comparing apples to cantaloupes. PurpleKoolAid's point was about trusting Rick Spielman's judgment in the draft, particularly when selecting a WR in the first round. As an undrafted WR, Thielen just doesn't have much to do with Rick's judgment in the draft.
It's a perfectly valid comparison when picks that work out are dismissed as "luck" but picks that don't are criticized. It's getting so granular that now it's down to criticism of a specific position in a specific round. Really? But I guess it has to be because if you take 1st round picks as a whole, I think the picks are pretty decent in aggregate.

Treadwell's performance remains to be seen, I think Rick's only other 1st round WRs have been Harvin and Patterson. Harvin was a head case but he was clearly the best pick that year. Lets not forget he won offensive ROY. The alternatives were Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, and Brian Robiskie. Not exactly home runs.

Patterson was a miss but not on the scale of a Troy Williamson.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

We really disagree on what makes a gm (and eventually, through the GM, the staff, coaches, playoff wins and losses, etc. ) We just have'nt moved an inch since Tice was here and fired on the spot for a 9-7 season. I know under Tice there were some scandles, but there have been some seen since, and no embarrassing firings, on live TV, since then. The only really decent changes have been on the defensive side of the ball, like Joseph and Kendricks (by far our best LB, blows Barr outta the water) and these D changes came more from Zim then Rick, Im betting. And for the love of god, lets get a str. and conditioning coach. Our players are ALWAYS hurt. How can Floyd be hurt for a fucll year and not be put on IR?
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Mothman wrote:
It depends on how you look at it but quite honestly, the answer is probably yes. :) His initial presence on the Vikings arguably had more to do with geography than scouting. If he hadn't attended Minnesota State in Mankato and then, after going undrafted, participated in a 3 day rookie tryout to earn a chance at being a "camp body" and subsequently, practice squad player, would he even be a Viking? If he'd gone to school in California or Arkansas, probably not. The guy basically fought his own way onto the roster and up the depth chart.
I agree totally. I love that we took a shot on him though, and it paid off to look for talent in-state, at least once. Mr. Mankato!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mayock sees Oline or Joe Mixon with Vikings first pick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -prospects
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

S197 wrote: Is Isaac Asiata related to Matt?
They are cousins if I remember correctly.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

S197 wrote:Mayock sees Oline or Joe Mixon with Vikings first pick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -prospects
I think Mixon will be gone by 48. My guess is Zimmer will then go with BPA, which very well could be on defensive side of the ball.
I know we will see a couple OL line and RB drafted just not sure in what round.

On the offensive line I would be happy with Antonio Garcia, Dorian Johnson.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

this is what I was able to grab on the first pick draft game with two trade backs

Round 2 Pick 26 (SEA): Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida (A)
Round 3 Pick 15: Adoree' Jackson, CB, Southern California (A+)
Round 3 Pick 22: Jaleel Johnson, DT, Iowa (A-)
Round 3 Pick 26 (SEA): Chad Hansen, WR, California (B+)
Round 3 Pick 42 (SEA): Davis Webb, QB, California (A)
Round 4 Pick 15: Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan (A+)
Round 4 Pick 22: Jordan Morgan, OG, Kutztown (B+)
Round 5 Pick 16: Brian Hill, RB, Wyoming (A)
Round 6 Pick 15: Ejuan Price, OLB, Pittsburgh (B)
Round 7 Pick 14: Michael Roberts, TE, Toledo (B-)
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

[/quote]
I'm thinking # 48 could be a very interesting pick. Who do you pick?
Feeney, McDowell, Brantley , Mixon all are still there at 48...who does Rick pick?[/quote]

I would pick Feeney out of that group and pick either a DT and RB in round three (with our two
picks)

There are still some close to the end player Free Agents
that might be worth the right kinda deal.

I am thinking
Jamal Charles with a major incentive based deal (possible returner to replace CP)

Nick Mangold for center depth leadership on OL
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

ProFootballTalk
@ProFootballTalk
13h
Florida draft prospect Caleb Brantley arrested for misdemeanor battery, accused of punching a woman .

Wow is that stupid...4-5 days before the draft .