2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
They still have a guard position wide open with Sirles most likely to man it if they don't draft someone else to do it. Remmers is more likely to be a band-aid than a reliable starter and a quality center/guard might be a very good idea.
I agree. They should address those positions, and they should be able to do that in the middle rounds.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: All of that still requires reliable blocking up front. There's just no getting around it. It's fundamental to the game.
I agree. They need to be reliable and competent. They won't need to be excellent in this system as the position has been devalued by protecting the QB via refs and other rule changes.

Other places they will need to be excellent, especially on defense. Offenses can resort to cheap tricks via specialization, defenses not so much. You need an elite defense to contain a average offense in todays nfl, so the idea seems pretty clearly to be, build an elite defense and an average offense with sufficient gimmicks to manufacture enough yards/points to win.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I agree. They should address those positions, and they should be able to do that in the middle rounds.
This is where we began our discussion. Why would you believe the Vikings, in particular, will be able to do that effectively when it's been a failing strategy for them for many years now? I understand the idea that it could work in theory but they've shown no real aptitude for finding good startling o-linemen in the middle rounds under Spielman. Sullivan proved to be an exception that regard.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: This is where we began our discussion. Why would you believe the Vikings, in particular, will be able to do that effectively when it's been a failing strategy for them for many years now? I understand the idea that it could work in theory but they've shown no real aptitude for finding good startling o-linemen in the middle rounds under Spielman. Sullivan proved to be an exception that regard.
If you are correct and Spielman/scouting are bad at identifying good OL, all the more reason not spend the most valuable picks on OL players.

If you are wrong and they have "missed" in drafting OL due to a variety of other circumstances, no reason to think they shouldn't be able to find them in the mid rounds. Other teams are frequently able to, and there is solid interior OL depth in this draft.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:If you are correct and Spielman/scouting are bad at identifying good OL, all the more reason not spend the most valuable picks on OL players.
It's easier to spot the cream of the crop and I think their chances of finding a quality starter are much better in the early rounds of the draft.
If you are wrong and they have "missed" in drafting OL due to a variety of other circumstances, no reason to think they shouldn't be able to find them in the mid rounds. Other teams are frequently able to, and there is solid interior OL depth in this draft.
Yes, but we're not talking about other teams. The Vikings have been trying and failing with the exact strategy you're suggesting for the better part of a decade. I don't know if Spielman and the scouting department stink at identifying good o-linemen in every round but I do know they've struggled in the mid-to-late rounds. It's high time they changed tactics.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

The Vikings O-line has not come close to expectations since Mike Tice was O-line coach and HC. Maybe my bar is set too high and I expect too much. But under Denny Green and Tice the line was the least of worries. Oh yea, there was a HOF'R thrown in there somewhere. What I wouldn't give this draft for a half of a Randall McDaniel.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

CbusVikesFan wrote:The Vikings O-line has not come close to expectations since Mike Tice was O-line coach and HC. Maybe my bar is set too high and I expect too much. But under Denny Green and Tice the line was the least of worries. Oh yea, there was a HOF'R thrown in there somewhere. What I wouldn't give this draft for a half of a Randall McDaniel.
The OL in the late 90s was one of the best I have ever seen. They also had Everett Lindsey who could back up any position effectively.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

PurpleMustReign wrote: The OL in the late 90s was one of the best I have ever seen. They also had Everett Lindsey who could back up any position effectively.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Yes. Who was it though that was always getting false starts called. Was that Stuessie?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote: Yes. Who was it though that was always getting false starts called. Was that Stuessie?
Yes, his internal clock was always off. :)

It sure would be nice to see another Vikings guard as good as McDaniel again.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

fiestavike wrote: I agree. They should address those positions, and they should be able to do that in the middle rounds.
I agree as well. Pat Elflien says he's the best center in this draft but from what has been said about the depth pool this year is very relative but I still would draft him.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I dont understand why anyone would want us to continue doing with the Oline the past few years. Which is basically nothing more then an afterthought. Bradford and Teddy both need to drop back, and set their feet before they throw the ball. Right now they really dont even have that extra second to do that. Watch Brady or Rogers. They get more time on some downs then the Vikings QB's get in an entire series. And thats because the Oline isnt a big concern of Rick's.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: Yes, his internal clock was always off. :)

It sure would be nice to see another Vikings guard as good as McDaniel again.
McDaniels' are not easy to come by. Haven't seen arguably anyone as good as him, since him, across the league.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Might have to do this for Mixon. Im going to be pissed if they use their good picks on the D. We need Oline and RB. I dont think BPA is in play here. They scipped on good Olinemen last year and choked big time.
Rumor is some teams have taken them completely off their board. I think a lot of teams will still be interested due to his talent but I don't think he's a 1st day draftee. He'll definitely be one of the bigger stories of draft day but I think you look at guys like Tyreek Hill (whose crime was more heinous) but someone still took a chance on him. And he's no Joe Mixon, not coming out of college anyway. My guess is 3rd round for Mixon.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: Just like they've been doing successfully for years now?

The heck with that. They need to stop stepping in the same holes year after year. I say draft OL early and maybe even often.
The Vikings seem to be sitting in a bit of an Oline void in the second with most elite guys going before and then some comparable guys available a little later. I think Feeney may be the only viable option. We'll see but mocks like this show very few lineman in the 2nd and 3rd being taken.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... rier=other
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I'm thinking # 48 could be a very interesting pick. Who do you pick?
Feeney, McDowell, Brantley , Mixon all are still there at 48...who does Rick pick?