2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by CbusVikesFan »

The draft team needs to knock it out of the park this year to have any credibility. Time to quit screwing around Beavis!
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: To me it feels like the Vikings finally have this, which is what I mentioned in the other thread. Zimmer is a first time HC so mistakes are bound to be made and he has made them. But I think he's learning and if they stick with him, he could be a very good HC.
Agreed. I'm a huge Zimmer supporter and always will be. They need to let him learn the ropes. It would be stupid to fire him IMO
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

I agree on Zimmer. I really like him and think he has a chance to be great. But I'm really torn on Slick Rick right now. Like most GM's he's had some good and some bad but for some reason I feel like this could be a big draft for his future with the organization. Personally I think he needs to focus on being smart (albeit boring and conservative) this year and maybe not go too bold.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Agreed. I'm a huge Zimmer supporter and always will be. They need to let him learn the ropes. It would be stupid to fire him IMO

He's entering his fourth season. "The ropes" should be sufficiently learned at this point.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Dakotavike wrote:I agree on Zimmer. I really like him and think he has a chance to be great. But I'm really torn on Slick Rick right now. Like most GM's he's had some good and some bad but for some reason I feel like this could be a big draft for his future with the organization. Personally I think he needs to focus on being smart (albeit boring and conservative) this year and maybe not go too bold.
Best case Scenario is that we see the emergence of a couple contributors from last years class. Alexander fills the slot role well, Treadwell, Morgan effectively fill a roll at WR 1-3, and TE 2 respectively. Really pushing my luck, but maybe Jayron Kearse plays well enough to at least push Sendejo?

If they get a couple guys who can play immediately this year and add some contributions from last years class, the roster is going to be pretty stacked.

Spielman is getting blamed for everything around here, but his mistakes don't overshadow what he has done well. I think he's been just about average in terrible circumstances. He's had two bad coaching regimes, he's trying to draw players to an undesirable location, and he began before all that with a dreadful mess of a roster/organization left over by McCombs. Imagine trying to rebuild that team with a goof like Childress sticking his oar in on everything. Good grief.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: Best case Scenario is that we see the emergence of a couple contributors from last years class. Alexander fills the slot role well, Treadwell, Morgan effectively fill a roll at WR 1-3, and TE 2 respectively. Really pushing my luck, but maybe Jayron Kearse plays well enough to at least push Sendejo?

If they get a couple guys who can play immediately this year and add some contributions from last years class, the roster is going to be pretty stacked.

Spielman is getting blamed for everything around here, but his mistakes don't overshadow what he has done well. I think he's been just about average in terrible circumstances. He's had two bad coaching regimes, he's trying to draw players to an undesirable location, and he began before all that with a dreadful mess of a roster/organization left over by McCombs. Imagine trying to rebuild that team with a goof like Childress sticking his oar in on everything. Good grief.
Well said.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Spielman is getting blamed for everything around here, but his mistakes don't overshadow what he has done well. I think he's been just about average in terrible circumstances. He's had two bad coaching regimes, he's trying to draw players to an undesirable location, and he began before all that with a dreadful mess of a roster/organization left over by McCombs. Imagine trying to rebuild that team with a goof like Childress sticking his oar in on everything. Good grief.
Spielman's mistakes don't overshadow what he's done well (and I think virtually everybody here acknowledges that he's done some things well) but your comments above seem to miss the fundamental complaint about Spielman, which is that he has contributed in a significant way to creating those "terrible circumstances". Leslie Frazier, in particular, was asked to coach in poor circumstances and then was undermined by his own GM. The majority of the fan base certainly weren't as forgiving about him learning the ropes, making mistakes as a first time head coach, etc., all sentiments we're seeing about Zimmer as he heads into his fourth season, which is one more than his predecessor ever got, despite a similarly successful second season.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Spielman, above or below the "mendoza" line? Top 10 or better GM? And if you could put a grade on his tenure, what would it be?
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote:Spielman, above or below the "mendoza" line? Top 10 or better GM? And if you could put a grade on his tenure, what would it be?

I don't think he's a top 10 GM. I don't know if he'd be above or below a Mendoza line for GMs but he'd probably be flirting with it. :)

I'd give his tenure as GM a C.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:
I don't think he's a top 10 GM. I don't know if he'd be above or below a Mendoza line for GMs but he'd probably be flirting with it. :)

I'd give his tenure as GM a C.
I'd agree with a C but if he has another draft this year like last year, it will go to a D.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:

He's entering his fourth season. "The ropes" should be sufficiently learned at this point.
We'll see
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I have a feeling we will go Defense with our first 2 pick. Even though its obvious once again, at least to me, our Oline and RB's need the most work. I wouldnt be surprised if we went safety with one of the picks, and DT/DE with the other. It's just a gut feeling, but I am going to scream if we dont address and gain depth on the offensive side of the ball with our good picks.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I have a feeling we will go Defense with our first 2 pick. Even though its obvious once again, at least to me, our Oline and RB's need the most work. I wouldnt be surprised if we went safety with one of the picks, and DT/DE with the other. It's just a gut feeling, but I am going to scream if we dont address and gain depth on the offensive side of the ball with our good picks.
That would be ideal to me.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I don't see the first two picks being D. I think at least one is offense. Either RB or OL. Call me crazy but it's starting to look like Forrest Lamp could fall to where he is in reaching distance for us. I never thought that would be possible but don't be surprised if you see us trade into the back end of the first to get him. He's an immediate plug and play at RG and can play tackle.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I don't see the first two picks being D. I think at least one is offense. Either RB or OL. Call me crazy but it's starting to look like Forrest Lamp could fall to where he is in reaching distance for us. I never thought that would be possible but don't be surprised if you see us trade into the back end of the first to get him. He's an immediate plug and play at RG and can play tackle.
I'd be okay with that. I think I'd rather trade back and add another 3rd or 4th with all the talent in the first 3-4 rounds. Lamp seems like a great player though, so I wouldn't be upset if they move to get him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins