2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote:There currently are roster spots open at OG, DT, TE, RB, WR, LB, and CB. Some positiions have more than 1 slot open. We have 8 picks to fill 7 position holes.
Well don't forget there are some good FA's out there that I would love to pick up. If we were to sign anyone, I want Robey-Coleman as a nickel back. QBs had like a 55% completion percentage throwing his way. Don't think that we are done in free agency. I would take a guy like Boldin too. I would like to sign Larry Donnell as a backup TE. Could draft a TE, it's a deep class.

Some positions I think we will definitely draft are RB, DT, RG and LB. I think we will draft Elijah Lee for sure if he's there. We've been all over him. That's an immediate fill at WLB. Zim will find a good DT. My number one choice overall right now is definitely Dan Feeney if he's there.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

The team is really interested in Elijah Lee. I really hope we draft him after his Pro-Day workout. The dude ran a 4.61 and had a 6.98 second cone drill. That is very, very good for a LB.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:The team is really interested in Elijah Lee. I really hope we draft him after his Pro-Day workout. The dude ran a 4.61 and had a 6.98 second cone drill. That is very, very good for a LB.
Yeah if you notice on that list I posted (it's probably not entirely accurate), some of the only guys they met with on more than 1 occasion are Dylan Bradley, Alvin Kamara and Elijah Lee

And dont be surprised if we try to replace Patterson with Kamara from an explosiveness standpoint
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Well don't forget there are some good FA's out there that I would love to pick up. If we were to sign anyone, I want Robey-Coleman as a nickel back. QBs had like a 55% completion percentage throwing his way. Don't think that we are done in free agency. I would take a guy like Boldin too. I would like to sign Larry Donnell as a backup TE. Could draft a TE, it's a deep class.

Some positions I think we will definitely draft are RB, DT, RG and LB. I think we will draft Elijah Lee for sure if he's there. We've been all over him. That's an immediate fill at WLB. Zim will find a good DT. My number one choice overall right now is definitely Dan Feeney if he's there.

ProFootballTalk
@ProFootballTalk
1h
Rams sign Nickell Robey-Coleman
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yeah if you notice on that list I posted (it's probably not entirely accurate), some of the only guys they met with on more than 1 occasion are Dylan Bradley, Alvin Kamara and Elijah Lee

And dont be surprised if we try to replace Patterson with Kamara from an explosiveness standpoint
I'm not a huge fan of Kamara based on what I've seen so far. He's fine enough in space but i don't see him as creative or quick/strong enough to operate effectively in tighter spaces.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

fiestavike wrote: I'm not a huge fan of Kamara based on what I've seen so far. He's fine enough in space but i don't see him as creative or quick/strong enough to operate effectively in tighter spaces.
I wouldn't be opposed to him. I have not seen him play many games, so it would be egregious of me to have a strong opinion on him one way or the other.

Unfortunately, the best HB in space (Christain McCaffrey) in this draft will be long gone before we even have a chance to pick.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@ProFootballTalk
15h
Scouting Joe Mixon an extensive process, the count now up to 15 teams he'll visit before draft.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Guys at NFL.com have an interesting pre draft segment going called "Perfect Pairs". For us:
Perfect draft pair: Florida S Marcus Maye (Round 2, pick 48); Pittsburgh G Dorian Johnson (Round 3, pick 79)
More at Link:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ta-vikings
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

If they go safety in round 2 I hope it's Melifonwu. He and Harrison would be downright scary.
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Here is our updated prospect rumors/visits:

Rodney Adams, WR, South Florida (PRI)
Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio (SR)
Dylan Bradley^, DE, Southern Mississippi (PRO, PRI)
Chunky Clements, DT/3-4DE, Illinois (EW)
Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell (WOR)
Pat Elflein, C, Ohio State (PRI)
Amba Etta-Tawo, WR, Syracuse (SR)
Jerod Evans, QB, Virginia Tech (COM)
Dan Feeney, G, Indiana (PRI)
Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (WOR)
Worth Gregory, P, East Carolina (PRI)
Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo (PRI)
Rayshawn Jenkins, S, Miami (SR)
Jadar Johnson, S, Clemson (EW)
Jaleel Johnson, DT/3-4DE/NT, Iowa (SR)
Aaron Jones, RB, Texas-El Paso (COM)
Josh Jones, S, N.C. State (PRI)
Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami (COM)
Kyle Kalis, G, Michigan (EW)
Alvin Kamara^, RB, Tennessee (COM, PRI)
Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky (COM)
Carl Lawson, DE/3-4OLB, Auburn (COM)
Elijah Lee^, OLB/ILB, Kansas State (PRI, WOR)
Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida (PRI)
Damien Mama, G, USC (COM)
Malik McDowell, DT/3-4DE, Michigan State (WOR)
Leon McQuay III, S, USC (PRI)
Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma (PRO)
Dare Ogunbowale, RB, Wisconsin (PRI)
James Onwualu, OLB, Notre Dame (EW)
Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma (COM)
Duke Riley, OLB/ILB, LSU (COM)
Curtis Samuel, WR, Ohio State (PRI)
Weston Steelhammer, SS, Air Force (EW)
Damarius Travis, SS, Minnesota (LOC)
Chad Williams, WR, Grambling (PRO)

KEY
SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
PRO - Pro Day or campus meeting/workout.
LOC - Local visit. Prospect making a local visit.
PRI - Private visit. Prospect making an official 30 visit.
WOR - Private Workout. Members of an organization working out a player in private.
STM - Some Type of Meeting.
% - indicates more than one meeting at an event.
^ - has met with team at more than one event.
# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2017 Senior Bowl or the 2017 East-West Shrine Game
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeeti ... cufjjou.99

Really intrigued by some of the guys we're looking at. :smilevike:
This is awesome PHP. Thanks for posting!!! :thumbsup:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

halfgiz wrote:There currently are roster spots open at OG, DT, TE, RB, WR, LB, and CB. Some positiions have more than 1 slot open. We have 8 picks to fill 7 position holes.
Picks don't fill holes. And they shouldn't be expected to. I think that's part of the struggle this team has had in the draft. Need position A, draft position A. It isn't likely any pick will work out. And if they do, it's even less likely they'll do so in the first couple of years.

If you go into the draft with a big need at QB, and force a pick at QB. Good luck. Same goes for any position. The draft is a long term investment. And should be looked at in that way.

When the coaching situation is always FUBAR it's even worse. You can't draft for Musgrave, have the players for Norv...and then for Shurmur.

This team needs a reset. It needs a proven GM with full control who can come in and get an entire coaching staff. Who is given a handful of years to stick with that coaching staff and work on getting the players for the systems. It's been a mess since Wilf bought the team. :wallbang:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote: Picks don't fill holes. And they shouldn't be expected to. I think that's part of the struggle this team has had in the draft. Need position A, draft position A. It isn't likely any pick will work out. And if they do, it's even less likely they'll do so in the first couple of years.

If you go into the draft with a big need at QB, and force a pick at QB. Good luck. Same goes for any position. The draft is a long term investment. And should be looked at in that way.

When the coaching situation is always FUBAR it's even worse. You can't draft for Musgrave, have the players for Norv...and then for Shurmur.

This team needs a reset. It needs a proven GM with full control who can come in and get an entire coaching staff. Who is given a handful of years to stick with that coaching staff and work on getting the players for the systems. It's been a mess since Wilf bought the team. :wallbang:
Where do you just find a "proven GM"?? Look at the GMs hired in the last 5 years. I mean the 49ers just took John Lynch out of a broadcasting booth for gods sake. "Proven GM's" aren't just hanging out on the streets. The only one out there that I know of is Polian and I doubt he leaves his job. Finding some proven GM is a pipe dream. I would say we have it better than A LOT of teams out there right now and have a guy thats willing to build through the draft and not free agency. If we fired Spielman, we'd be going in blind on some guy out of someone else's front office. Which could quickly lead to disaster. I'd be careful what you wish for.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Dakotavike wrote: This is awesome PHP. Thanks for posting!!! :thumbsup:
No problem Dakota! I'll continue to post the updated list as the draft approaches
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Demi wrote: Picks don't fill holes. And they shouldn't be expected to. I think that's part of the struggle this team has had in the draft. Need position A, draft position A. It isn't likely any pick will work out. And if they do, it's even less likely they'll do so in the first couple of years.
I don't think they've been doing that at least since Zimmer got here. Maybe even post Childress.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Demi wrote:It needs a proven GM with full control who can come in and get an entire coaching staff. Who is given a handful of years to stick with that coaching staff and work on getting the players for the systems. It's been a mess since Wilf bought the team. :wallbang:
To me it feels like the Vikings finally have this, which is what I mentioned in the other thread. Zimmer is a first time HC so mistakes are bound to be made and he has made them. But I think he's learning and if they stick with him, he could be a very good HC.