2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: 2017 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by PurpleMustReign »

halfgiz wrote:The Fake ESPN
@TheFakeESPN
Apr 5
Breaking: Tony Romo injured his vocal chords in a broadcast simulation and will miss the first 4 games of the season.
Lmao

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

S197 wrote: Clemmings and a 3rd! :twisted:
Now I would get behind that idea :thumbsup: lol
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: He's a big mouth. Getting old. No need for him. Cost too much. Anything else?

And we have a QB problem? And who are we losing??
Yes we have a QB issue the GM didn't plan for. Unless you think losing your starter and having to bring in a more expensive replacement was ideal. The Qb issue can be quickly identified as such...

2016) TB was set to make approx 2 million last season. We had to trade for Sam and his salary last season. We were only on the hook for 7 million dollars but that 7 million dollars and the injuries to the oline, really prevented us from signing anyone during the season (remember all the cap juggling we had to to do get Jake Long on board).

2017) TB is under contract for 2017 at 2.18 million; a low figure. Sam is under contract for 17 million. Again 17 million that we would normally have to extend contracts OR **Roll over to the following year as unused cap**. We also have to make a 5th-year decision on TB in may. Sam will also need an extension and may believe that he is worth 17 million or more a season from us. Lets say we extend him this year and give him 20 million a year starting in 2018.

2018) We picked up Teddy's 5th year which should pay him north of 12 million. In total, we have 32 million tied up in the QB position. Not including project players and backups. I would call this a problem.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote:
Yes we have a QB issue the GM didn't plan for. Unless you think losing your starter and having to bring in a more expensive replacement was ideal. The Qb issue can be quickly identified as such...

2016) TB was set to make approx 2 million last season. We had to trade for Sam and his salary last season. We were only on the hook for 7 million dollars but that 7 million dollars and the injuries to the oline, really prevented us from signing anyone during the season (remember all the cap juggling we had to to do get Jake Long on board).

2017) TB is under contract for 2017 at 2.18 million; a low figure. Sam is under contract for 17 million. Again 17 million that we would normally have to extend contracts OR **Roll over to the following year as unused cap**. We also have to make a 5th-year decision on TB in may. Sam will also need an extension and may believe that he is worth 17 million or more a season from us. Lets say we extend him this year and give him 20 million a year starting in 2018.

2018) We picked up Teddy's 5th year which should pay him north of 12 million. In total, we have 32 million tied up in the QB position. Not including project players and backups. I would call this a problem.
I highly doubt we pick up TBs option. And we will have to extend a good QB in Bradford. You're making it way more complicated than it actually is. This whole 17 million thing really has you all torn up. We STILL have cap room to extend Rhodes. No worries
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I highly doubt we pick up TBs option. And we will have to extend a good QB in Bradford. You're making it way more complicated than it actually is. This whole 17 million thing really has you all torn up. We STILL have cap room to extend Rhodes. No worries

I agree with Pounding Her Percy on this.....I just don't see us picking up TBs option. Wouldn't be smart imho
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I highly doubt we pick up TBs option. And we will have to extend a good QB in Bradford. You're making it way more complicated than it actually is. This whole 17 million thing really has you all torn up. We STILL have cap room to extend Rhodes. No worries
Rhodes is the only young player that we have coming up to extend?
At the end of 2017,
Diggs, Kendricks, Hunter would all have one year left on their deals.

As would Griffen, Joesph, Barr
That's a lot of peso holmes!

I don't think the Vikes will just let TB go. They will extend him (it cost them nothing to cut him before 2018).
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Rhodes is the only young player that we have coming up to extend?
At the end of 2017,
Diggs, Kendricks, Hunter would all have one year left on their deals.

As would Griffen, Joesph, Barr
That's a lot of peso holmes!

I don't think the Vikes will just let TB go. They will extend him (it cost them nothing to cut him before 2018).
I'm referring to who we have to extend this year. I know what's coming up after that. You can't predict anything after that until next offseason hits.

And they wouldn't be "cutting" Teddy. They just wouldn't pick up his option. There is no point if he can't recover
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

When do they have to decide on Teddy?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:When do they have to decide on Teddy?
They have to decide by May 3rd.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: They have to decide by May 3rd.
options...
a)let teddy walk
b)pick up the option
c)sign him to a 2 year deal cheaper than the option

Am I missing any options? What would you do?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: options...
a)let teddy walk
b)pick up the option
c)sign him to a 2 year deal cheaper than the option

Am I missing any options? What would you do?
It's obviously a difficult situation.

I think 5th year options are guaranteed against injury but I don't know how that applies to pre-existing injuries. If picking up his option next month essentially locks the Vikings into paying him $11 or $12 million next season, I'd pass on the option. I don't think it would be wise to make that financial commitment without knowing if he can come back from this injury and be an effective QB.

On the other hand, if the option isn't guaranteed, there's little financial risk in picking it up.

I don't think I'd commit to an extension without knowing more about his recovery.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
It's obviously a difficult situation.

I think 5th year options are guaranteed against injury but I don't know how that applies to pre-existing injuries. If picking up his option next month essentially locks the Vikings into paying him $11 or $12 million next season, I'd pass on the option. I don't think it would be wise to make that financial commitment without knowing if he can come back from this injury and be an effective QB.

On the other hand, if the option isn't guaranteed, there's little financial risk in picking it up.

I don't think I'd commit to an extension without knowing more about his recovery.
I'd do the extension at the right price. Teddy isn't in position to sign a big contract. *he doesn't even have a leg to stand on!* Ha ha.

I would think that just being rostered and getting the medical care would be worth a lot to him. A two year extension at 2 mil a year fully guaranteed would be a win win, but who know what his agent would say.

Part of me hopes he walks and goes to Cleveland. I think what they are doing there with Hugh Jackson could be a good match, and I believe Teddy was their #1 ranked QB before they decided to draft Manziel at the last moment.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I'd do the extension at the right price. Teddy isn't in position to sign a big contract. *he doesn't even have a leg to stand on!* Ha ha.
*groan*
I would think that just being rostered and getting the medical care would be worth a lot to him. A two year extension at 2 mil a year fully guaranteed would be a win win, but who know what his agent would say.
That's just it: a contract like that might make sense but I don't know if he'd go for it. Depending on how his recovery goes, it seems they might be able to sign him to a one or two year deal after the season for similar reasons. If he actually plays at some point in 2017 and looks really good, that would change the situation and could open up free agency options for him but if that doesn't happen, it's hard for me to imagine he'd get a big contract from another team.
Part of me hopes he walks and goes to Cleveland. I think what they are doing there with Hugh Jackson could be a good match, and I believe Teddy was their #1 ranked QB before they decided to draft Manziel at the last moment.
Considering Cleveland's history since returning to the league, I'm not sure id wish that fate on any QB. ;)
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
Considering Cleveland's history since returning to the league, I'm not sure id wish that fate on any QB. ;)
I'm optimistic on Cleveland for the first time in my life. Actually, I think Cleveland is closer to a superbowl victory than the vikings :gone:
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: I'm optimistic on Cleveland for the first time in my life. Actually, I think Cleveland is closer to a superbowl victory than the vikings :gone:
lol because they have a good offensive line? They literally have nothing else. Like zero. No less nobody wants to play there :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri