2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote:Is it weird that I'm really excited about having Polomalu's dad on the staff? Troy is easily my favorite non-viking player ever. I hope he will come speak to this team. He is a smart and serious man of faith.
It's actually Troy's uncle
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: It's actually Troy's uncle
Right! thanks for the clarification. :)
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@DWolfsonKSTP
2h
Former Indiana two-time All-American guard Dan Feeney was in town yesterday to visit w/ the #Vikings, I hear. He's a STUD.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote:Is it weird that I'm really excited about having Polomalu's dad on the staff? Troy is easily my favorite non-viking player ever. I hope he will come speak to this team. He is a smart and serious man of faith.

Not unless you are hoping he has hair like Troy, in which case, yeah, that'd be weird... :lol:

Back to the draft: I just can't seem to get excited about it this year. Not sure if it's the lack of a first round pick or the way we finished our season... my Viking ship has sails that are barely fluttering in the wind.

I guess I'm hoping that the Ricker just doesn't do anything flashy like make a big trade to move up for someone in the first. I'd like to see something that shows maturation on his part: for example, make prudent picks at positions of need (OL, especially).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:
Not unless you are hoping he has hair like Troy, in which case, yeah, that'd be weird... :lol:

Back to the draft: I just can't seem to get excited about it this year. Not sure if it's the lack of a first round pick or the way we finished our season... my Viking ship has sails that are barely fluttering in the wind.

I'm feeling the same way.
I guess I'm hoping that the Ricker just doesn't do anything flashy like make a big trade to move up for someone in the first. I'd like to see something that shows maturation on his part: for example, make prudent picks at positions of need (OL, especially).
Dreamer. ;)
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think there's a chance they trade back into the 2nd round. If you look historically, the Vikings have had very few 3rd round picks, it seems to be the pick Rick likes to trade the most.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Interesting...

Vikings' receiver picture still in flux a year after drafting Laquon Treadwell
The Vikings have written a receiver’s name down on a selection card in nine drafts during the last decade.
And it’s looking like a safe bet they’ll stretch that to 10 of the last 11 drafts later this month.

A year after taking Laquon Treadwell with the 23rd-overall pick, the Vikings’ receiver picture remains in flux and likely incomplete after his disappointing rookie season and the departures of both Cordarrelle Patterson and Charles Johnson in free agency.
There's more at the link.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:Interesting...

Vikings' receiver picture still in flux a year after drafting Laquon Treadwell
There's more at the link.

I'm fine with that, as long as it is of the Stephon Diggs in the 5th variety and not an all in move for CP in the first.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I'm fine with that, as long as it is of the Stephon Diggs in the 5th variety and not an all in move for CP in the first.
On that note...

Kiper, McShay Mocks Have Vikings Going Different Directions
We’ll start with Kiper, who actually has the Vikings addressing the wide receiver position in Round 2 with the selection of JuJu Smith-Schuster out of the University of Southern California.
McShay, on the other hand, has the Vikings selecting Florida defensive tackle Caleb Brantley at #48.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I like the Brantley pick. All the mocks tools have quality interior OL available in the 3rd and 4th rounds so I'm good with waiting after 48 to address that position. I'm not sure where the Vikings should adddress the WR position. I wish they had one more quality depth player there in case Treadwell doesn't emerge. There will be depth at S, CB, RB, TE, OG, and I'd hate to see them not address those positions this year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote: I like the Brantley pick. All the mocks tools have quality interior OL available in the 3rd and 4th rounds so I'm good with waiting after 48 to address that position. I'm not sure where the Vikings should adddress the WR position. I wish they had one more quality depth player there in case Treadwell doesn't emerge. There will be depth at S, CB, RB, TE, OG, and I'd hate to see them not address those positions this year.
If they hadn't drafted the German Unicorn last year they might have a decent, young prospect from the middle/late rounds (a la Diggs).

Kiper: I can't look at the guy without laughing at his ridiculousness. The guy seems like a caricature. What would the NFL Draft be without that guy and his spazzy tendencies and horrible prognostications? His pick for us would not make me happy.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I thought that was why we signed Datone Jones to replace Floyd.
I would sooner draft OL in the early rounds. If we don't it will be a DT in the 2nd and a safety in the 3rd.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:
If they hadn't drafted the German Unicorn last year they might have a decent, young prospect from the middle/late rounds (a la Diggs).
They might. Of course, they could have that in the GERMAN UNICORN himself! Go Moritz!!!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Here is our updated prospect rumors/visits:

Rodney Adams, WR, South Florida (PRI)
Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio (SR)
Dylan Bradley^, DE, Southern Mississippi (PRO, PRI)
Chunky Clements, DT/3-4DE, Illinois (EW)
Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell (WOR)
Pat Elflein, C, Ohio State (PRI)
Amba Etta-Tawo, WR, Syracuse (SR)
Jerod Evans, QB, Virginia Tech (COM)
Dan Feeney, G, Indiana (PRI)
Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (WOR)
Worth Gregory, P, East Carolina (PRI)
Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo (PRI)
Rayshawn Jenkins, S, Miami (SR)
Jadar Johnson, S, Clemson (EW)
Jaleel Johnson, DT/3-4DE/NT, Iowa (SR)
Aaron Jones, RB, Texas-El Paso (COM)
Josh Jones, S, N.C. State (PRI)
Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami (COM)
Kyle Kalis, G, Michigan (EW)
Alvin Kamara^, RB, Tennessee (COM, PRI)
Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky (COM)
Carl Lawson, DE/3-4OLB, Auburn (COM)
Elijah Lee^, OLB/ILB, Kansas State (PRI, WOR)
Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida (PRI)
Damien Mama, G, USC (COM)
Malik McDowell, DT/3-4DE, Michigan State (WOR)
Leon McQuay III, S, USC (PRI)
Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma (PRO)
Dare Ogunbowale, RB, Wisconsin (PRI)
James Onwualu, OLB, Notre Dame (EW)
Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma (COM)
Duke Riley, OLB/ILB, LSU (COM)
Curtis Samuel, WR, Ohio State (PRI)
Weston Steelhammer, SS, Air Force (EW)
Damarius Travis, SS, Minnesota (LOC)
Chad Williams, WR, Grambling (PRO)

KEY
SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
PRO - Pro Day or campus meeting/workout.
LOC - Local visit. Prospect making a local visit.
PRI - Private visit. Prospect making an official 30 visit.
WOR - Private Workout. Members of an organization working out a player in private.
STM - Some Type of Meeting.
% - indicates more than one meeting at an event.
^ - has met with team at more than one event.
# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2017 Senior Bowl or the 2017 East-West Shrine Game
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeeti ... cufjjou.99

Really intrigued by some of the guys we're looking at. :smilevike:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

There currently are roster spots open at OG, DT, TE, RB, WR, LB, and CB. Some positiions have more than 1 slot open. We have 8 picks to fill 7 position holes.