Vikings hope for a balanced offense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings hope for a balanced offense

Post by Mothman »

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... ed-offense

From the article:
It's a group that will spend a decent chunk of the offseason trying to establish its identity on offense. Here's an idea: balance.

The Vikings haven't ranked in the top 20 in both running and passing yards since 2009, when Brett Favre shared a backfield with Peterson. Since that season, one facet of the Vikings' offense has been ranked 26th or worse in the league in every year but one: 2013, when the league's most porous defense forced the Vikings to play catch-up enough that their passing game ascended all the way to 23rd.

And last year, while the Vikings' 18th-ranked passing offense was their best since 2009, they were hindered by a 32nd-ranked ground game that made their offense almost inoperable at times.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings hope for a balanced offense

Post by mansquatch »

The yardage issues are certainly a problem, but I'd argue the red zone and scoring deficiencies were the biggest issues. Still, nothing here that we do not already know.

Fix the offense or bust.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

For me,
it's not so much the numbers or really the balance, it's taking the opponent weaknesses and exploiting them.The balance should take care of its self. If you have to pass 30 or more or run 30, as long as the Vikings win.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote:For me,
it's not so much the numbers or really the balance, it's taking the opponent weaknesses and exploiting them.The balance should take care of its self. If you have to pass 30 or more or run 30, as long as the Vikings win.
I think the article was referring to "balance" in the sense that both the passing and running game are good, as opposed to what we've seen in recent years. From game to game, it's more about doing what's effective, as you suggested above.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: I think the article was referring to "balance" in the sense that both the passing and running game are good, as opposed to what we've seen in recent years. From game to game, it's more about doing what's effective, as you suggested above.
I'm good with that.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I took this more to read "they can execute as needed". Last year they had minimal flexibility in what they could do which made them very easy to defend. Hopefully next year that will not be the case.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi