Backup QB?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Backup QB?

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Kendrick will be a star. I think Barr will be as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I agree. I'm not ever going to be worried about LB as long as Zim is here
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Maybe it is just me, but the backup QB position is a major concern for this team. We have to act like Teddy Bridgewater will not play this season. I like Taylor Henicke, but it would be foolish just to count on him.

Bradford stayed healthy last season, but there is no way we can assume Bradford will stay healthy all this season. I am not trying to be ominous, I am being realistic. We need to figure out the backup QB position. It sounds like the team is leaning toward drafting a rookie. But, we have seen this story play out before.

You're certainly not alone. I consider it a major concern as well.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:
You're certainly not alone. I consider it a major concern as well.
Well yeah I think we all do. I highly doubt we're going into next year with just Heinecke as our only backup. I'm guessing they will draft one given Bradford is almost 30
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Kendrick will be a star. I think Barr will be as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Yes, Kendricks is a beast. Barr I'm not as sure yet but I'll take your word for it. Hopefully he'll stay healthy.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Well... Now with Case Keenum in the fold my hopes for us drafting a QB have severely plummeted. We've seen this movie before more than a handful of times....
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Well... Now with Case Keenum in the fold my hopes for us drafting a QB have severely plummeted. We've seen this movie before more than a handful of times....
I have a feeling the plan here is to pick up Bridgewater's option and see how his recovery goes, with the underlying, unspoken plan being that he is still their QB of the future. I doubt they will extend Bradford before this season. Instead, I think they'll see how he plays, see how Bridgewater recovers and then make a choice after the 2018 season.

I doubt they'll draft a QB before round 6 or 7, if they draft one at all.

We'll see but it does look like a familiar movie.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: I have a feeling the plan here is to pick up Bridgewater's option and see how his recovery goes, with the underlying, unspoken plan being that he is still their QB of the future. I doubt they will extend Bradford before this season. Instead, I think they'll see how he plays, see how Bridgewater recovers and then make a choice after the 2018 season.

I doubt they'll draft a QB before round 6 or 7, if they draft one at all.

We'll see but it does look like a familiar movie.
Don't get me wrong, I want them to pick up Teddy's option. They have to.

Still, I am a big proponent of drafting QBs. What is the harm taking one every year or so? If they don't pan out, they don't pan out. However, recent history has shown the reward of drafting a QB even with an established starter in place (Prescott, Kapernick, Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz).

I wonder where we could be right now if we took Brett Hundley or Trevor Siemman in 2015. Last year, we could have taken any of the QBs outside of round one. Hell, going the extremely route: Just think if we had drafted Dak this past year.

We need to draft a guy to compete with Taylor and Case. If he loses out, he loses out. If not, then that can only be a good thing for the team.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Don't get me wrong, I want them to pick up Teddy's option. They have to.
I'm not sure they should, although I'm unclear on whether a preexisting injury would lead to that option being guaranteed once picked up. If so, it might be a good idea to pass on it.
Still, I am a big proponent of drafting QBs. What is the harm taking one every year or so? If they don't pan out, they don't pan out. However, recent history has shown the reward of drafting a QB even with an established starter in place (Prescott, Kapernick, Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz).

I wonder where we could be right now if we took Brett Hundley or Trevor Siemman in 2015. Last year, we could have taken any of the QBs outside of round one. Hell, going the extremely route: Just think if we had drafted Dak this past year.

We need to draft a guy to compete with Taylor and Case. If he loses out, he loses out. If not, then that can only be a good thing for the team.
I've been a proponent of that approach for years so I understand where you're coming from. :)
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

I think its a good move. Obviously nobody really knows, but all indications point to Bridgewater not being be able to play this upcoming season, so he seems like he's out of the equation when talking solely about this year. Would anybody really be comfortable heading in to the season with Heineke and a late round rookie as the only back up potentials?

In terms of developmental quarterbacks, we have one right now with Heineke. I'm not sure that they would find anyone better in the later rounds as he hasn't really had much of an opportunity or been around very long. Most likely anyone picked up that late would be a similar project sort of situation. I'm really not going to say either way as the later round quarterbacks seem like quite the crapshoot. If they do see someone they like, they can draft him and always dump Heineke.

I don't see this move as giving up on developing a younger quarterback. I see it as getting someone who has some starting experience who could back up Bradford for a couple of games somewhat adequately. There aren't any real world beaters out there at this point for backup options so this seems like one of the better options out there.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I thought when a player is injured the 5th year option is automatic like with Floyd? Or am I mistaken?

I'd be fine with them grabbing a mid-round (4th or so) QB.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I really hope the Vikes have their antennae up for drafting a QB with great development potential. In the past, they frequently held up unrealistic hopes against bad injuries...ie Stussie, Loadholt, etc

Bridgewater is an unproven commodity who has just seriously degraded one of his best assets, ie his mobility. He is NOT a QB to bank the future on. Bradford is a solid choice currently, but we need a protege in the wings.

There is no room for soft sentiments in the NFL. A competent GM would already be planning for the Post-Teddy era. I don't know that Spielman has a clear mind on this issue.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Don't get me wrong, I want them to pick up Teddy's option. They have to.

Agree. I'd rather draft and develop than sign the Keenums of the world. Everyone knows Keenum is marginal at best and you're probably losing with him as your starter. It's a waste of a roster spot. The only way to get a good QB is to draft one, get lucky, or trade a first for a solid but unspectacular one. I'll go draft everytime. Rounds 2 through 4 are where you take them to develop behind your starter.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

S197 wrote: I see. The "draft a wr that was not on too many radars" threw me. Patterson and Treadwell were by almost all accounts, projected 1st rounders. I wasn't thrilled with Treadwell pick, I wonder if Fuller would have been the pick had he not gone right before.
Patterson wasn't on my radar at all. Neither was Treadwell. Once I see a player, especially when they are not talking BIG about them but you see them play and wonder why they are not rated higher really puzzles me. For me, the Vikings would have done themselves a better favor by drafting a lineman, either side of the ball, instead of Treadwell. McCarron was available later but was passed on. Clearly no hindsight needed to know that Andy Dalton was better than Ponder. These choices that have been made, no matter where they are rated makes absolutely the most absurd sense to me. Ya feel me?
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

I like the Keenum signing... he's an upgrade over Shaun Hill and it gets the whole backup QB situation resolved so they can focus on other areas of immediate need in the draft. It also will give a motivating kick in the buttocks to Heinicke. Let's see how he responds.

:smilevike:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida