Vikings Grades: Quarterback

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings Grades: Quarterback

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

720pete wrote: I would argue that this year the short passing was due to an OL problem, but in the previous 4 years it was due to an incapable QB problem or no depth at WR.

2016: Capable QB, Incapable OL, OK depth at WR
2011-15: Incapable QB, Capable/passable OL, no depth at WR

Our past WR corps certainly didn't inspire fear in opposing secondaries:
2011 (Ponder): Emmanuel Arceneaux, Devin Aromashadu, Greg Camarillo, Percy Harvin
2012 (Ponder): Devin Aromashadu, Stephen Burton, Michael Jenkins, Jerome Simpson, Jarius Wright
2013 (Cassel, Ponder, Freeman): Greg Jennings, Cordarelle Patterson, Jarius Wright, Rodney Smith, Joe Webb
2014 (Bridgewater, Ponder): Greg Jennings, Charles Johnson, Adam Thielen, Cordarelle Patterson, Jarius Wright
2015 (Bridgewater): Stefon Diggs, Charles Johnson, Cordarelle Patterson, Mike Wallace, Jarius Wright
Why did you have to show this? Now I'm depressed.

The fact that Devin Aromashau shows up on this list for two consecutive seasons sends me running for the Prozac.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

IT'S HERE: The 2016-17 Deep Ball Project is out now. See how well your quarterback did downfield.

All things considered, however, you just may be surprised by Bradford’s downfield passing. His reputation is that of a short passer, but that’s unearned. Playing behind the worst offensive line in the league, little time is given for Bradford to develop his reads or the receivers to progress on their routes, leading to missed opportunities and sacks.

But when Bradford was able to release the ball, he did it with extreme efficiency. If you’re aware of my past work, you’ll know Bradford was graded highly in the 2015-16 DBP. Usually, there’s nowhere to go but down, but Bradford found a way to go up, further increasing his accuracy with tight, precise downfield bombs hitting receivers in stride and away from defenders. He finished with the highest overall downfield accuracy in 2016, with 66.7% of his passes being accurate.

The 2016-17 Deep Ball Project
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I know some people here didn't like Wallace or think he was worth the money, but he did just put up over 1000 yards this past season. I think it would have been interesting to see what he would have put up with Bradford who seems to have a pretty accurate deep ball.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Crax wrote:I know some people here didn't like Wallace or think he was worth the money, but he did just put up over 1000 yards this past season. I think it would have been interesting to see what he would have put up with Bradford who seems to have a pretty accurate deep ball.
I just alluded to something similar in the other thread. Diggs, Thielen, Wallace would have made for a pretty decent trio I think.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Crax wrote:I know some people here didn't like Wallace or think he was worth the money, but he did just put up over 1000 yards this past season. I think it would have been interesting to see what he would have put up with Bradford who seems to have a pretty accurate deep ball.
I agree. Teddy's deep ball had definitely not been perfected yet.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Cliff wrote: Best accuracy in the league but with the shortest average throw depth in the league? Sounds familiar.
Yup, further proof that trying to throw deep while wearing an opposing DE is pretty difficult.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Our system doesnt call for very many deep balls. Thats why neither Teddy nor Sam have big numbers in that regard. Their 'deep' balls were almost entirely YaC. Which is fine, for a while. But Rick better figure something out to have an actually deep ball while we have Sam. To give us some running room at least.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Our system doesnt call for very many deep balls. Thats why neither Teddy nor Sam have big numbers in that regard. Their 'deep' balls were almost entirely YaC. Which is fine, for a while. But Rick better figure something out to have an actually deep ball while we have Sam. To give us some running room at least.
As I've said before, we were tied for like 10th in 20+ yard passing plays this year. So no it wasnt almost entirely YAC. Sam hit on quite a few deep balls
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Our system doesnt call for very many deep balls. Thats why neither Teddy nor Sam have big numbers in that regard. Their 'deep' balls were almost entirely YaC. Which is fine, for a while. But Rick better figure something out to have an actually deep ball while we have Sam. To give us some running room at least.
We don't call many deep passing plays cause of our o-line I think that's pretty obvious. Our system shouldn't be limited to we don't call plays that often, it's a horrible mindset and good teams don't think this way. You win whatever way you can regardless of players or scheme. They load up the secondary Brady changes to a run, they crowd the line throw it. Watched for years as this franchise constantly ran Peterson in passing situations simply cause we were a run first team and that's our strong point blah blah just a bunch of excuses franchise just doesn't get it yet and won't win anything till they do.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Cliff wrote: Best accuracy in the league but with the shortest average throw depth in the league? Sounds familiar.
:roll: I guess several franchise QBs and some middle-range starters really blew this year too then.

2016 season QB YPC
7.09 Carson Palmer
7.03 Derek Carr
7.02 Sam Bradford
6.88 Cam Newton
6.73 Eli Manningface
6.25 Blake Bortles
6.42 Joe Flacco

It's amazing, we get average to good QB play for one season and people are still looking for ways to blame all of our problems on QB play. :roll:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

720pete wrote: :roll: I guess several franchise QBs and some middle-range starters really blew this year too then.

2016 season QB YPC
7.09 Carson Palmer
7.03 Derek Carr
7.02 Sam Bradford
6.88 Cam Newton
6.73 Eli Manningface
6.25 Blake Bortles
6.42 Joe Flacco

It's amazing, we get average to good QB play for one season and people are still looking for ways to blame all of our problems on QB play. :roll:
Obviously, Sam did relatively well with the circumstances he faced. He certainly does some things very well, but there are reasons that two teams have sought to replace him, and all the purple kool-aid in the world isn't going to keep those reasons from becoming evident to all in due course. If the vikings hitch their wagon to Sam longterm, it will be a mistake.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Obviously, Sam did relatively well with the circumstances he faced. He certainly does some things very well, but there are reasons that two teams have sought to replace him, and all the purple kool-aid in the world isn't going to keep those reasons from becoming evident to all in due course. If the vikings hitch their wagon to Sam longterm, it will be a mistake.
I disagree. Throwing for almost 4000 yards, 20 TDs and 5 INTs given the OL he had, thats one solid QB. And as we know, solid QBs are very hard to find especially with recent weak draft classes. Still draft someone behind him, but we have to extend the guy or we will be in another hunt once again.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

fiestavike wrote:
Obviously, Sam did relatively well with the circumstances he faced. He certainly does some things very well, but there are reasons that two teams have sought to replace him, and all the purple kool-aid in the world isn't going to keep those reasons from becoming evident to all in due course. If the vikings hitch their wagon to Sam longterm, it will be a mistake.
Exactly. That is why I am not in the majority saying we NEED to extend Sam Bradford before/during the 2017 season. We need to see him play all 16 games and we need to see him lead us to the playoffs. Stats mean very little if you are not winning games.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

720pete wrote: 2016 season QB YPC
7.09 Carson Palmer
7.03 Derek Carr
7.02 Sam Bradford
6.88 Cam Newton
6.73 Eli Manningface
6.25 Blake Bortles
6.42 Joe Flacco

It's amazing, we get average to good QB play for one season and people are still looking for ways to blame all of our problems on QB play. :roll
I wasn't blaming the QB. I was more pointing out that those stats are very similar to Bridgewater but they were negatives for him. Short average depth with above average/great accuracy has been the story of the Vikings passing game for years now and it hasn't been great.

I'm happy with Bradford, personally.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Cliff wrote:
[/quote]

The only mistake will be picking up Bridgewater's 5th year. He isn't half the QB Sam is. And yes, there are reasons 2 teams moved on. 1) The Rams ONLY moved on after 2 consecutive ACL's, had ZERO to do with ability. And the only reason Philly moved on is because Kelly got canned and Pederson wanted "his guy"

I will remind you he was replaced in effect by the #1 and #2 picks in last years draft, neither of which are a pimple on Bradford's azz.

Your a TB guy I get it but friend facts are facts, if TB and SB came out the same year there would have been zero people who would have taken Teddy, ZERO. And that gap has only widened.